It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Cosmic Perspective - Neil De Grasse Tyson - Humanity, Intelligent Design + Science and Conscious

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Intelligent design is real, and we are the intelligent designers.

Sounds bull#? Stop reacting, in fact stop whatever you are doing for 40 minutes, and watch.

Intelligent design is real, and we are the intelligent designers, is the argument he is making in a roundabout way, when you read between the lines.

"Religion is the philosophy of ignorance. Science is the philosophy of knowledge."

"The Fundamentalist Christians have told me that I am a slave of Satan and should have the demons expelled with an exorcism. The Fundamentalist Materialists inform me that I am a liar, a charlatan, fraud and scoundrel. Aside from this minor difference, the letters are astoundingly similar. Both groups share in the same crusading zeal and the same total lack of humor, charity, and common human decency."
Proff Sir Anston Winston.

He speaks about everything here, from the evolution of science in historical perspective, about the history of previous civilisations that rose and fell and why.

He ends with one of the best questions i've heard asked.

en.wikipedia.org...

Neil deGrasse Tyson ( /ˈniːəl dəˈɡræs ˈtaɪsən/ born October 5, 1958) is an American astrophysicist and science communicator. He is currently the Frederick P. Rose Director of the Hayden Planetarium at the Rose Center for Earth and Space and a research associate in the department of astrophysics at the American Museum of Natural History. Since 2006 he has hosted the educational science television show NOVA scienceNOW on PBS and has been a frequent guest on The Daily Show, The Colbert Report, Real Time with Bill Maher, and Jeopardy!. It was announced on August 5, 2011, that Tyson will be hosting a new sequel to Carl Sagan's Cosmos: A Personal Voyage television series.[2]

edit on 27-6-2012 by ZeuZZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeuZZ

Alright, alright... I'll bite

If this video isn't any good, I will be disappointed.

Creationist always love to talk about intelligent design... then to consider that we were made in 'their' or 'his' image, in reference towards God or God's. It would seem that like 'god' we are also 'intelligent designers'. To claim that intelligent design went into the creation of the Universe, that's a different beast, but to remove 'intelligent' design from many conversations is foolish in my opinion.

This is an old universe, time is of perspective... it's certain plausible that intelligent design is at large responsible for the much that surrounds us today.

Anyways... I will check back in and respond once I'm done watching the video, I was just getting bored and trying to find a documentary to pass the time. Thanks.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Jusr watched it, great lecture, I like NDGT veery much, for his sence of humor, great thoughts and not over-simplifying stuff

I, however, believe in intelligent design of UNIVERSE. Life may be just an element to it, sort of cherry on the top. And by life, i mean all kinds of organics throughout universe. Doubting it existence, somewhere beside Earth is just travesty.

Unfortunately humankind GIGAlomania twisted it into something terrible. Majority of our race actually believe creator of universe, created it with us on his mind, then put two humans into existence, just like we look now. Then he meddled with us, talked as burning bush, send his "servants" to guide us, at some stage even having a son with one of his creations. One of servants became bad guy, of course.

Other stuff happening in good book is just so stupid I shiver even to mention it. Creator got for example bit angry with us, so he flooded our little planet, killing entire race. He saved a pair though, back to the start.

I mean, come oooooon.

Excellent point about rise of fundamental islam and complete destruction of scientific thought along.

The sad thing, we are heading the same way. Stop this god nonsence already. We have to make it ourselves out to the stars.

Great video, SF and huge thanks for dropping it. Stand-up scientist got it straight in the face.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Can people please share this as much as possible, the contents of this talk deserve sooooooooooooo much more attention than it currently gets!

Tyson is so good at stopping this science vs religion mentality.

new topics

top topics

join