It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Clerk loses job over stand

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
6 years at a convenience store and this is the first time she ran into this?

Not sure, but that's the gist I got from what she said in the article.

That surprises me... One would think it more prevalent, frustrating as that is, the system is a joke.

LadySkadi,

It is possible the clerk has seen this many times in the past, but just now stood up to take action.

But I am with you, if this was the first time the clerk has seen this I am very surprised.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf
reply to post by neo96

Dont some people Get their tax returns on such cards.

were you not smart enough to think of that?

Smart enough to have read the article, and smart enough to know the difference between a debit card and an EBT.

Yeah EBT's are the same as a debit or credit card guess they get reported to credit agencies to.
edit on 27-6-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots
1)You VOLUNTEER to drug testing with companies.
2)It is illegal for them to deny you work if you are a smoker, so being tested for nicotine has nthing to do with that.
3)You must prove citizenship for ebt.

Yes, it does have something to do with being poor. You are saying they must prove their innocent to receive this BENEFIT.

They VOLUNTEER to accept these benefits.
I submit to nicotine testing to recieve my medical insurance, they are just given theirs. I admit that this is by choice.
You DO NOT have to prove citizenship to recieve these benefits, as a matter of fact the people who ADMINISTER these programs will help you OBTAIN state identification.
On top of it all MY taxes are helping to PAY for their benefits.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   

I agree with the clerk I do not think EBT should be used to buy cigarettes.

i can see the moral problem with this and agree to, however the clerks job is to serve customers not to dictate what benefit recipients can spend their assistance on.

if she want's to do that, write to a Politician or become one instead of just refusing to do the job she was paid to do.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Your are lucky in the UK we have a totally ridiculous benefits system that gives alcoholics EXTRA benefits, which they get in cash and use to buy booze. Drug addicts are also eligible for the same payments that they use to buy - yep, you guessed it drugs. You can claim a benefit called Disabled Living Allowance if you are an alcoholic, a drug addict or even if you are just a lazy fat a** who can't be bothered to work because it takes away from your valuable eating time, yep if you are too fat to work they give you extra money. How much is the benefit ? Over $200 cash per week, you also get another benefit called ESA (employment support allowance) which is $165 cash per week. So that is over $18000 per year, tax free, if that was not enough you also get your full rent up to $725 per month for a single person or up to $2000 per month if you have children.

In the UK you just get cash and no one cares what you spend it on (apart from us tax payers), so if you are a single alcoholic, drug addict or too fat to work in the UK, you get over $26700 TAX FREE to spend on drugs, drink or junk food.

You also get this is you enter the Country illegally and then claim asylum, we have to pay you until we decide if you can stay !

Is is any wonder that working people resent those on benefits/welfare ?

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Ahhh yes....always love to see people advocating that the poorest of us should give up their rights. Innocent until proven guilty? Not if you're poor....

What right would they be giving up?

They are free to not use food stamps, and hence no test would be needed.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by FreeFromTheHerd

Ahhh yes....always love to see people advocating that the poorest of us should give up their rights. Innocent until proven guilty? Not if you're poor....

Right................death through starvation or mandatory piss test.......good ole freedom!

Look, I'd rather the alkies have their benny funds go to a bottle of wine than have to see one of em giving head behind a dumspter to get it. That's just me though. You may believe these things don't happen, but personally I don;t want my kids seeing anything remotely close to that. Point; restricting their funds opens up other problems, where we have more crime in order for them to fulfill their needs.
edit on 27-6-2012 by spinalremain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by spinalremain

Right................death through starvation or mandatory piss test.......good ole freedom!

Participating in govt. social and/or welfare systems is not Freedom. One is free to make the choice to do so, or not to do so. However, if you choose to answer to someone or something, which is the case when you are involved in a welfare program, then you are not Free to do what you want, you follow the rules (in theory) ... Don't confuse the concepts, they are fundamental in this situation. I would rather see a massive system overhaul, it's a total joke as it is now...
edit on 27-6-2012 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf
reply to post by neo96

Dont some people Get their tax returns on such cards.

were you not smart enough to think of that?

Exactly. They are also used to load funds from Unemployment Insurance and Disability payments.

Unless it was a food stamp program, the clerk had no right to refuse this man. When I was collecting unemployment for lack of work, my employer had cut our hours back from 35 to 12 hours a week, I purchased ciggies and vodka with mine!
edit on 27-6-2012 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by majel42

not all people on benefits fit in your scenario's, your scenario's are worse case scenario's and it is an exaggeration to paint the benefits system to be a certain way by using examples that are less common but reported on by the media to get peoples blood boiling.

i come into contact with people on benefits on a daily basis, i know a vast amount more need what they get or are struggling with what they have than there are those who take the piss out of the system.

there was a story about a bbc program reporter cheating the system recently, he was working and claiming housing benefit he was not entitled to, £24,000 pounds worth, don't be fooled into thinking it is just the unemployed you need to resent, there are plenty of working people taking the piss out of the system too.
edit on 27-6-2012 by lifeform11 because: typo

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
As an employee for six years, I would think the manager would inform the employee of the rules and say it is not to happen again. The firing seems a bit harsh. Maybe there was a previous conflict.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by spinalremain

Look, I'd rather the alkies have their benny funds go to a bottle of wine than have to see one of em giving head behind a dumspter to get it.

Why not?

At least they would be earning their own money instead of pissing away the money of other people.

On a side note, what are you doing looking behind dumpsters? That's the only way you'd see them at work.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by FreeFromTheHerd

their right to privacy, and the right to be considered innocent until proven guilty.

But I digress. I already see this thread spiralling off topic.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Awesome!

If the lady wants cigarettes then she can buy cigarettes. She wont have food later. Shes a grown up and she made that decision.

Either way, under the welfare laws she is entitled to the EBT.
Should she buy food with it? Of course, but let's not override freedom here. She's free to do with her benefit money as she wishes.

Unfortunately ( fortunately!) your opinion is just that, and has nothing to do with the facts.
The regulations for the use/non-use of the New Hampshire EBT card is quite clear and the clerks actions are justified:

What can you buy with New Hampshire EBT Card

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by roadgravel
As an employee for six years, I would think the manager would inform the employee of the rules and say it is not to happen again. The firing seems a bit harsh. Maybe there was a previous conflict.
the source clearly states that she could have kept her job but she stated that she would continue to refuse to accept ebt for cigs.

This is a person who thought it was her right to dictate what ebt should be allowed to be used for. She's lucky the customer is not suing her, and the store, for harrassment.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

They SHOULD be used for cigarettes !

Condoms also !

The Gene Pool needs to be cleaned out.......

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I dont believe for a second that one can sell alchol or tobacco to someone using an EBT card.

ETA: Ah, I see. It was the 'cash card' part of EBT, not the food stamps. That's basically welfare cash. They are certainly egally allowed to buy whatever they want with it. IT is not her job to decide who she can sell things to. Good for her for taking a stand, but she deserves to be fired. She didnt do her job.

She was likely fired for editorializing her political beliefs to a customer, when all she should have done is refuse the sale.
edit on 27-6-2012 by stanguilles7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I was in Kentucky yesterday for business and stopped to get gas on the way to the airport (in Cincinnati). I overheard the clerk tell a guy he couldn’t buy beer with stamps.

I’m not sure what a EBT card is but I get the idea……….no assistance from the fed (ME & YOU) should be used for “luxuries” IMO. Be honest….cigs and booze are luxuries.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by satoriku

Awesome!

If the lady wants cigarettes then she can buy cigarettes. She wont have food later. Shes a grown up and she made that decision.

Either way, under the welfare laws she is entitled to the EBT.
Should she buy food with it? Of course, but let's not override freedom here. She's free to do with her benefit money as she wishes.

Unfortunately ( fortunately!) your opinion is just that, and has nothing to do with the facts.
The regulations for the use/non-use of the New Hampshire EBT card is quite clear and the clerks actions are justified:

What can you buy with New Hampshire EBT Card

If this incident took place in New Hampshire, then it sounds like the manager might be eating some crow.

Is it clear which kind of EBT card this person was using?

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by stanguilles7

what she should of done was find out if the shop accepted the cards and if it was legal. if the shop accepted them and there is no law/rules against what might be purchase with them, she should of shut her mount and did her job, and then vented her views or concerns to the right people or walked out and gave up the job if she couldn't handle it.

I would of fired her on basis that she had worked there for 6 years and did not know the shops policies and procedures and thinks she can let her personal views dictate which customers to serve when she is being paid to do a specific job by the owner of the business, who is the one who makes such decisions as to whether they accept or do not accept.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join