It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Clerk loses job over stand

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Clerk loses job over stand

PETERBOROUGH — Jackie R. Whiton of Antrim had been a six-year employee at the Big Apple convenience store in Peterborough until a single transaction sent her job up in smoke. The store clerk was fired after she refused to take a customer’s Electronic Balance Transfer card to pay for cigarettes.

www.sentinelsource.com...

Get that?

Using an EBT to buy cigarette!

Hmm thought "assistance" was suppose to be used for pay for food?

Right?

That is what it suppose to be used for?

EBT cards are used for both food and cash assistance programs. There are two types of cards: one can only be used for food. The other can be spent on anything and used just like a debit card.

Seems yes and no 2 types of cards one for food and one for "anything" so what is the deal there?

Whiton said she did not think EBT cards could be used to purchase cigarettes and refused to sell to him.

I agree with the clerk I do not think EBT should be used to buy cigarettes.

“I made the statement, ‘do you think myself, that lady and that gentlemen should pay for your cigarettes?’ and he responded ‘yes,’ ” Whiton said.

What? Other people should pay for his smoking, and then also pay for his healthcare via medicare,and medicaid as well!

The mother came into to complain, and then lodge a complain against the clerk corporate said sell smokes to people who use EBTS or else!

She chose to take a stand a great stand I think.

Charles E. Wilkins, the general manager of the C.N. Brown Co. that runs the stores, said the EBT cards in the cash phase could be used for any items, including alcohol, tobacco and gambling. Wilkins said the company gave Whiton the option of staying but she said she would not accept the cards anymore.

Assistance cards can be used to pay for alcohol,tobacco, and gambling!

Which goes back to other people paying for their habits, which are not rights,are not basic necessities, and to boot the have to foot their medical bills as well.

Enough with the damn fraud and abuse.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
While I dont agree with EBT being used for tobacco (and Im not totally convinced you can), the regulations have been set in place, and it is not the place of a clerk to dictate what a person can or cannot spend their EBT on.

This person deserved to be fired.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Awesome!

If the lady wants cigarettes then she can buy cigarettes. She wont have food later. Shes a grown up and she made that decision.

Either way, under the welfare laws she is entitled to the EBT.
Should she buy food with it? Of course, but let's not override freedom here. She's free to do with her benefit money as she wishes.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I'm going to apply for food stamps to support my drinking.......

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I agree with you my friend, If your accepting taxpayer assistance, you need to be tested, for drugs, alcohol and nicotine.
The war on Poverty has Failed, we are giving them something for nothing in return and you have generations of families living that life.
How about this Abuse of Our Tax Payer Dollars?

A drug dealer in Boston, Kimball Clark, 45, was arrested on Friday and was overheard using his one phone call to tell someone to:

“get my EBT card and go to the ATM and get the money to bail me out, get me outa here tonight.”

The Boston Herald also reported that Clark had $758 on him when he was arrested, but of course that was seized by police. He was charged with distribution of heroin within 1,000 feet of a school, posted bail and was released. Clark is a known offender whose record include “assault and battery in 2007 and coc aine possession with intent to distribute in 2006.”

www.eurthisnthat.com...-22974

Not trying to derail your thread My Friend, just trying to bring to light other ways the card is Abused.

These clerk should be Applauded Not Fired!

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   

$80 Billion in Food Stamps and No Clue How It’s Spent Read more on Newsmax.com: $80 Billion in Food Stamps and No Clue How It’s Spent Important:

Taxpayers who fund the $80 billion-a-year food stamp program are not allowed to see where or how the money is spent, the Washington Times reported. Read more on Newsmax.com: $80 Billion in Food Stamps and No Clue How It’s Spent Important: Do You Support Pres. Obama's Re-Election? Vote Here Now!

Even food stamp costs have more than doubled in recent years, the Times said, the U.S. Department of Agriculture says it can’t disclose how much each store accepts in benefits, which stores do the most business in food stamps, and what kind of food is bought. The amount of food stamps laundered into cash has increased dramatically, the Times reported. The USDA administers the food stamps program in conjunction with states. The Senate passed a version of the farm bill last week that lowers food stamp spending by $4.5 billion/

www.newsmax.com...

80 billion dollars a year years supposedly to be spent on food seems that is not the only thing your money is financing.

Then get hit again with the medical expense.

There are so many levels of wrong here, and as a tax payer why would she not have the right to say no?
edit on 27-6-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
6 years at a convenience store and this is the first time she ran into this?

Not sure, but that's the gist I got from what she said in the article.

That surprises me... One would think it more prevalent, frustrating as that is, the system is a joke.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I cant stand the cash assistance crap. Thats why these lazy people dont have to work. The government will even buy them cars and pay to maintain the car in tip top shape!

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
6 years at a convenience store and this is the first time she ran into this?

Not sure, but that's the gist I got from what she said in the article.

That surprises me... One would think it more prevalent, frustrating as that is, the system is a joke.

Thats a very good point, It cant be very common if its taken 5 years!!!

Is this yet another HATE THE POOR campaign?

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by spinalremain
Awesome!

If the lady wants cigarettes then she can buy cigarettes. She wont have food later. Shes a grown up and she made that decision.

Should she buy food with it? Of course, but let's not override freedom here. She's free to do with her benefit money as she wishes.

I disagree. She should have the freedom to do what she wants with HER OWN MONEY. She should not have the right to do what she wants with MY MONEY! So yes, i disagree with you

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by roaland

Awesome!

I disagree. She should have the freedom to do what she wants with HER OWN MONEY. She should not have the right to do what she wants with MY MONEY! So yes, i disagree with you

Unfortunately, its not your money, as much as people like to think it is.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Sieg Heil!

You may have your EBT if you pee in this cup please.......

You look Mexican, may I see your papers please?

Looks like "taking America back" really means 'back to 1933 Germany'

Freedom is only a good thing when it suits your ideals I suppose.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Sieg Heil!

You may have your EBT if you pee in this cup please.......

You look Mexican, may I see your papers please?

Looks like "taking America back" really means 'back to 1933 Germany'

Freedom is only a good thing when it suits your ideals I suppose.

This has nothing to do with freedom. If they can't meet the requirements for having an EBT card, they are perfectly FREE to find a job. The problem is that we don't have any requirements. That's why I support the company in firing the clerk.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Reply to post by JIMC5499

What are you talking about? There are requirments you have to meet in order to get cash assistance or food stamps. Not everyone can just walk into the welfare office and get them.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by acmpnsfal

What are you talking about? There are requirments you have to meet in order to get cash assistance or food stamps. Not everyone can just walk into the welfare office and get them.

I understand there's requirements. What I mean is that I support additional requirements, like drug and nicotine testing, citizenship or immigration status.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by JIMC5499

Originally posted by acmpnsfal

I understand there's requirements. What I mean is that I support additional requirements, like drug and nicotine testing, citizenship or immigration status.

Ahhh yes....always love to see people advocating that the poorest of us should give up their rights. Innocent until proven guilty? Not if you're poor....

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Dont some people Get their tax returns on such cards.

were you not smart enough to think of that?

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   

You cant use welfare unless you are a US citizen, they require your birth certificate, social security card, and some type of bill in order for you to apply.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots
Ahhh yes....always love to see people advocating that the poorest of us should give up their rights. Innocent until proven guilty? Not if you're poor....

I'm asking nothing of them that I am not subjected to at work. Yes. We get tested for nicotine. If we took the lower insurance rates for non-smokers. I have been drug tested at every job I have ever had. I have to prove my immigration status every time I get hired. Being poor has nothing to do with it.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by JIMC5499

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

I'm asking nothing of them that I am not subjected to at work. Yes. We get tested for nicotine. If we took the lower insurance rates for non-smokers. I have been drug tested at every job I have ever had. I have to prove my immigration status every time I get hired. Being poor has nothing to do with it.

1)You VOLUNTEER to drug testing with companies, which are PRIVATE institutions.
2)It is illegal for them to deny you work if you are a smoker, so being tested for nicotine has nthing to do with that.
3)You must prove citizenship for ebt.

Yes, it does have something to do with being poor. You are saying they must prove their innocent to receive this BENEFIT.
edit on 27-6-2012 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join