It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Irresponsible pet owners ruin it for those who are responsible!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I'm totally with you Mblah - I could never live anywhere without my cat! I'd find myself a nice cardboard box first

Have you considered looking into actually buying a home? I know the mortgage on my house is about half what it would cost to rent it. Just a thought. ♥

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver

Originally posted by nightstalker78
All it takes is one tenant to ruin it for everyone.I don't blame landlords who have their property destroyed by pets that people allow to run wild.Especially those that hoard animals.It sucks but it's a fact of life.Most places where I live allow pets,but they charge out the ass in fees.And they usually charge a non refundable deposit AND a monthly fee.I found a place where I just had to pay a deposit and they allowed me to pay it over the first three months I was here.I guess I got lucky.
edit on 27-6-2012 by nightstalker78 because: (no reason given)

I agree but what about people who hoard kids and let them run wild? I know plenty of people in this area who fit that category just replace kids with pets and it's the same situation.

I have no problem paying a fee or even pet rent, which I think is insane but I'll do it.

The place I live now is a complete dump and the landlord is a slum lord which is why I'm leaving. I hated giving her 200 bucks of my money considering i have mice, roaches, ants and termites and they didn't pay a fee to live here!

That was nice of your landlord, some are cool about it but this area for some reason is not too pet friendly. Where i moved from every place allowed pets, here it's just so weird and backwards.

Oh I agree with you about the kids too.Too many people are careless when it comes to other's property.It's not theirs so they don't care.So a lot of private landlords who've been screwed are very careful about who they rent to.Aren't you in Florida as well?I thought I read a thread of yours before where you said you were.I maybe thinking of someone else though.I'm in central florida and lots of places will rent with pets,but like I said they charge ridiculous fees.All of those things you mentioned if I had them and the landlord did not take care of it I would be breaking my lease.I refuse to live with roaches.The others aren't as bad,but I'd give the landlord a little leeway with getting rid of them.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   
A few things about cats:
1. Cats are smelly. Litterboxes STINK. Most owners do not clean the litterbox as religiously as you do, OP!
2. They scratch stuff up.
3. They puke up hairballs all the time, everywhere. So in a carpeted apartment, this can be an issue.
4. I have yet to meet a cat that didn't shed, unless it was hairless. Many owners do not even bother to brush/groom their cats, so kudos to you for doing so.

5. Male cats tend to "spray" to mark their territory. They don't care if the litterbox is clean, they'll pee wherever they want!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a cat-hater! I live in a house with 4 cats. They aren't MY cats, they're my roommates, but regardless, I do enjoy living with them. I snuggle with them, play with them, and feed them when my roommates are away. BUT as soon as you walk into my house, you KNOW we have cats. There is always hair everywhere, no matter how often we try to clean it up. The litterbox always seems to create this foul odour, no matter how often it is cleaned. The couch. dining room table, and one wall have been scratched by the cats and there isn't really any way to fix this.

From a landlords perspective, it is impossible to know if the owner is responsible (like yourself) or not. And sometimes, responsible owners have cats that just will not use the litterbox or scratch what they're supposed to. So, I can kind of understand landlords putting "No pets" regulations in place.

On the other hand, as a veterinary student and dog owner, I dislike that there are SO MANY rentals with "No pets" regulations. As one previous poster mentioned, I would sleep on the streets before I surrender my dog to the SPCA or any organization like them. Lucky for you, cats are much easier to sneak in than a 65 pound Pitbull! :p

But really, I do completely agree with your rant. I just like to look at things from the opposite perspective sometimes. And if I were a landlord, being the person who stands to lose the most money from irresponsible owners, I would most likely also not allow pets into my rental apartments.

ETA: I didn't see the whole kids argument before posting, but I also agree with this. People who can't control their children/have way too many children I would also not rent to. Again, don't get me wrong, I have many friends who are responsible parents, but think about the irresponsible parents you know/have heard about...the ones living off of welfare, all the while popping out new kids to get more money on their baby bonus cheques (At least, that's how it is here in Canada.). The ones who don't clean up after their kids and allow them to destroy everything. Irresponsible parents. If I were a landlord, I wouldn't rent to people with children either (if it were legal!), based on the fact that more often than not, the parents suck.

edit on 27-6-2012 by Saphira because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

the cat versus kid comparison is just plain silly and looks like your grasping. Your cat is not worth my child. sorry.

Someone made a legitimate comment about buying a house, and you get your panties in a bunch.

Not only are you ranting about your right to have a pet on someone else's property, you don't think you should have to pay extra to do it. Are you stomping your feet while you are yelling about this?

I had to let my cats go to find a place to live. Welcome to the club.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   

I wasn't being sarcastic, just ask the cats and dogs who owns who.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I live out in the country in my own home now, but when my husband and I were looking for apartments/townhouses a few years back we had the same issues. NOPE! NO PETS! Not for extra money, not for a pretty please, not for anything. We had a rescue kitten who had even been declawed (before we got her...the only cat that didn't shut down the other half's breathing) and they were all the same.

We wound up leaving her with my MIL and from there had to find her another home altogether (it did try to shut her breathing down
).

Folks who leave huge messes are to thank for that... you are dead on the money. It sucks big time, when even in rural areas nobody wants to discuss pets. It's the new 4 letter word.

I hope you are able to find something soon though as your cat is adorable.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

the cat versus kid comparison is just plain silly and looks like your grasping. Your cat is not worth my child. sorry.

Someone made a legitimate comment about buying a house, and you get your panties in a bunch.

Not only are you ranting about your right to have a pet on someone else's property, you don't think you should have to pay extra to do it. Are you stomping your feet while you are yelling about this?

In her defense she's not wrong about kids..there are lot's of people who let there kids run wild too.I think she was just pointing out that kids can just be as destructive as pets,if not more.I think it goes back to what I said in a previous comment,some people just do not care when it comes to other peoples property.It's not theirs so they don't care if it gets destroyed.But I see your last point,I too had to let a cat go years ago because the place I was moving wouldn't take them.Gotta do what you gotta do sometimes.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by nightstalker78

Originally posted by nixie_nox

In her defense she's not wrong about kids..there are lot's of people who let there kids run wild too.I think she was just pointing out that kids can just be as destructive as pets,if not more.I think it goes back to what I said in a previous comment,some people just do not care when it comes to other peoples property.It's not theirs so they don't care if it gets destroyed.But I see your last point,I too had to let a cat go years ago because the place I was moving wouldn't take them.Gotta do what you gotta do sometimes.

I have kids of my own and I agree with this. It's not the kid's fault. It's the parents for not parenting them and not teaching a goodly amount of respect for someone else's property. I never let mine do that... but I know a lot that do because I draw my blinds when I hear they are coming for a visit.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Mblah.. LTNS and .. well.. I just dont like cats. never did. I do understand the attachment to animals. I treat my dogs like kids ( hairless chinese crested and Staffordshire terrier) and they most times are nicer and more well behaved than my own children. However, Cats.... see, we used to own a block of 2 and 4 family flats in the city and rented them out.. back when I was insane to even consider being a landlord. I can tell you all kinds of horror stories with tenants, but the one that I think of when a cat is mentioned is the crazy cat lady we rented to. We didnt know she was crazy.. she had one cat, paid a pet deposit, and we got a complaint from the person next door in the 2 family over the smell. We came over and she avoided us several times, we caught her outside and entered the apartment.. OMG. She had been apparently "rescuing" every damned cat in the city.. crates everywhere. Cats in kids pplaypens.. poop. The poop.. on 80 yr old wood floors. Cat pee on 80 yr old cant buy anymore wonderful baseboards. The smell.. we never could quite get the smell out and had to pay through the nose to a restoration company that works with water damage and mold to defunk the apartment.. and let me tell ya, the pet deposit didnt cover it.

Now, like I said.. I understand the attachment to pets when its not pathological. YES.. this kind of person absolutely is why you can not find an apartment that allows pets. The pet deposit wont cover damage or stench.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 07:04 AM
link   
I am not sure what the laws are there but you might want to look them up.

You know me and know what I do for a living.
On our application it says no pets.
The law actually states that we are not allowed to tell people they can't have pets.
We put the no pets thing on our applications for our own protection in case of irresponsible pet owners.
We don't let the good ones suffer for the bad ones...we just deal with the bad ones accordingly when we have to.

Alot of my renters have pets and we have no problem with it....there is alot of cats here and they are my little buddies when I have to go in to do a work order so I really don't mind and enjoy the company.(even though I am allergic)

Keep looking...you will eventually find a reasonable landlord or owner.
If it says no pets...it doesn't mean its closed for negotiation...I do it all the time.
Stay positive.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

Wow interesting. I will look into that for sure.

I did however find a place that will take cats and dogs. I am now on the hunt for a little dog.

With what I do for a living having a dog will not be a problem. I can take it to work.

That is great you don't punish the good ones. I know many people who have been one of the bad ones and it just drives me nuts. I had many people tell me to lie about a pet and I was like I'm not getting evicted! I am amazed at how many people would lie just to keep a pet when it can jeopardize their living situation if they don't have laws like you do...

My new apt is what I was looking for. There are pets all around and Buffy is quite happy with her new screened in porch.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   

I love the pics of your cat.

He or she looks like fun.

The problem isn't the pets,its the fact that the pets are smarter than the owner so we have to gauge it accordingly.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join