It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Irresponsible pet owners ruin it for those who are responsible!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I have been looking for an apt for over two months and no luck because nobody here wants to allow pets. I work at a grooming shop for heavens sake and have an indoor Persian cat. She is harmless and cleans herself more than most humans. I have even offered free money in the form of a non refundable deposit and they still say no.

I am so over this. We have so many grooming shops in the area and a dog park even yet 95% of the rental places won't allow pets. It is so frustrating. My cat is my companion and family to me. My fiancee got her for me since he works and lives oveseas so I don't feel lonely. She has helped tremendously with that. She greets me every time I come home and she follows me everywhere. I call her my little shadow. She is also very vocal and will talk to me when she wants something or demand my attention when I'm on the computer too much by pulling at my arm with her paw. It is the cutest thing.

I have never lived where there were so many unfriendly pet places. I know a lot of it is because they say previous owners did one thing or another and didn't abide by the rules. Well why should responsible pet owners suffer??!! I WORK in a grooming shop, people trust us to groom their pets so obviously I can take care of my own pet if I'm trusted to take care of other peoples pets.

I know kids who are more destructive to a home than my cat would ever be yet I don't see them refusing kids! When I had my one cat years ago I paid an extra 15 bucks a month in pet rent which I thought was ridiculous but I paid it. I also paid a $500 non refundable deposit on top of that. She too was an indoor cat. I treat my cats like kids and they are very well taken care of...

Perfect example of irresponsible pet owners... My neighbor has 4 cats that she doesn't take care of and they are covered in sores and fleas which has caused my cat to get fleas and she is INSIDE! Her cats sit on my back porch and the fleas get under the door because there is no real seal on the door. I have had to treat my cat and apt because she is an IRRESPONSIBLE pet owner! I have blocked the door where they sit and so far it is working....The neighbors downstairs have a dog and dogs are not allowed in this complex, again IRRESPONSIBLE pet owner. I do everything right and I am punished because others don't follow the rules. I didn't lie about having a cat to my landlord, she knew I was looking for a pet friendly place when I looked at the apt prior to moving in. I paid the deposit and let them know I had a cat. I didn't try and hide her!

Ok had to get that out. It has been very stressful because I have to be out October 1 and after two plus months of searching it is getting to be too much. My fiancee and I have even discussed relocating all together but that would be even more stressful so I am trying to look a little further south of where I am and so far no luck there. The places I do find that allow pets are in crime ridden areas and I will not live somewhere that is unsafe esp since I live alone.

So if you are one of those irresponsible pet owners and you know who you are please STOP it because you ruin it for those who ARE responsible!!!!!

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I agree. I drive a truck and always see truckers lettin their dogs poop right where i have to walk. What kinda crap is that?

My landlord charges me illegal fees for late payments too!

Buy a house

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
a woman a few doors down from us got evicted since she had loads of cats and the poor things were kept indoors and she rarely bothered to change the litter tray so they pee'd and poo'd everywhere and the guy sent to do the annual gas safety check (required for rented properties in the uk) wouldn't even enter the property and it was terrible
as it required alot of cleaning and new kitchen worktops etc so i'm afraid a tight landlord would not want to risk their investment

but hopefully you'll find somewhere decent for yours to supervise the world from a window sill

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by phroziac
I agree. I drive a truck and always see truckers lettin their dogs poop right where i have to walk. What kinda crap is that?

Buy a house

I didn't ask for sarcasm!!!!!

I don't want to buy a house nor can I afford it. If you didn't see the forum you were in then GO ELSEWHERE!

You deserve to be charged late fees, it's a LATE FEE which means you are an irresponsible tenant.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
You have it backwards, it's the irresponsible pets that ruin it for the responsible ones. The pets are the owners of the people.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxatoria

Yea that is what I'm talking about, people like that.

Not only are they irresponsible they are negligent. I know people who get a pet cause it's "cute," yet when the cuteness goes away they don't want to bother with it so the animal suffers and that is flat out abuse.

Again I know kids who have caused more damage in a home yet I don't see kid restrictions! I know grown adults who have done more damage to a home!

I don't mind giving my pets shot records to show she is up to date and fixed, heck they could even call my current landlord and know that my cat is fine.

Many places I have dealt with are through realtors and if I could get in touch with the actual owners I'm sure they would allow my cat esp with where I work. One place loved that I worked there but the place was rented out before I could get the application in. I know someone who has a dog that is on the list of breeds that are not allowed in rentals yet she went around the real estate company and spoke with the owner and the owner didn't have a problem with it. These real estate companies to me seem lazy, which is an entirely different thread. I have never dealt with anything like this in my life.

I'll keep looking, it just gets frustrating when I find a cute place and it says no pets.

This is my Buffy

Caught her while cleaning herself lol She had a lion's cut when we got her so her hair is growing back and she just looks too funny!

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by sp1r1tu4l33
You have it backwards, it's the irresponsible pets that ruin it for the responsible ones. The pets are the owners of the people.

Again I didn't ask for sarcasm.

Pets don't own their owners....

Seriously blaming the animal?!?! People need to take responsibility for their actions when it comes to their pets. That would be like blaming kids for their own actions when it's the parents who are suppose to teach their kids manners!

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

i think it was meant as humour as we all know as pet owners that we adapt more to their whims than we do to theirs, and anyway be thankful that if they could open tins of cat food we'd be dead by now

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
All it takes is one tenant to ruin it for everyone.I don't blame landlords who have their property destroyed by pets that people allow to run wild.Especially those that hoard animals.It sucks but it's a fact of life.Most places where I live allow pets,but they charge out the ass in fees.And they usually charge a non refundable deposit AND a monthly fee.I found a place where I just had to pay a deposit and they allowed me to pay it over the first three months I was here.I guess I got lucky.
edit on 27-6-2012 by nightstalker78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   
People seem to feel their pets are good and clean where other people's pets are dirty. That's not really the issue here. Even if your pet never pees in a corner or on the rug and always uses the litter box, with zero mistakes ever, they still cast off dander and fur which contributes to the 'environment.' and, frankly, smells up the place, along with the litter box, which smells even with that miracle clumping scented magic kitty litter. Even with your perfect pet, someone who walks in your apartment with cat allergies will know within seconds that you have a pet. If you think your pet is perfect, take a black light and light up the carpet in every room. Guaranteed you will find light 'splotches' you don't even know about. And when you move out, all that dander will still be there, virtually impossible to remove. And you've got a domestic long hair. Don't try to tell me they don't shed. You could weave a wall hanging with that fur.

And let's face it: It is a rare pet that is perfect. They make mistakes. They get sick, and when they get sick they make even more mistakes. They can and do tear up furniture, rugs, carpeting and drapes. It's in their nature; they're not being mean. The fact is that no pet has zero impact on a living space. Landlords and owners are protecting their investment, and since pets are not children covered under the Civil Rights Act, it is legal for them to do so. You can rant all you want, but I'm not going to rent to you.

And don't tell me I don't know. For the last fifteen years I lived with four opinionated litter-trained siamese and a dog besides. I've had cats continuously for 35 years and am getting two more this summer. Joshua and Jericho, ocicats, a mix of Siamese and Abysinnian that look like ocelots. I know what it's like to live with them and clean up after them. And when they all finally left me, sadly, it still cost me $1000 to get all the carpets cleaned.

edit on 6/27/2012 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I'm not sure where you live, but have you tried contacting property management companies and asking if they have any knowledge of apartments that are pet friendly? Perhaps they can steer you in the right direction.

Just a thought. I have 8 cats myself and I couldn't part with any of them, so I understand your not wanting to part with your fur baby. Best of luck in your search.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by nightstalker78
All it takes is one tenant to ruin it for everyone.I don't blame landlords who have their property destroyed by pets that people allow to run wild.Especially those that hoard animals.It sucks but it's a fact of life.Most places where I live allow pets,but they charge out the ass in fees.And they usually charge a non refundable deposit AND a monthly fee.I found a place where I just had to pay a deposit and they allowed me to pay it over the first three months I was here.I guess I got lucky.
edit on 27-6-2012 by nightstalker78 because: (no reason given)

I agree but what about people who hoard kids and let them run wild? I know plenty of people in this area who fit that category just replace kids with pets and it's the same situation.

I have no problem paying a fee or even pet rent, which I think is insane but I'll do it.

The place I live now is a complete dump and the landlord is a slum lord which is why I'm leaving. I hated giving her 200 bucks of my money considering i have mice, roaches, ants and termites and they didn't pay a fee to live here!

That was nice of your landlord, some are cool about it but this area for some reason is not too pet friendly. Where i moved from every place allowed pets, here it's just so weird and backwards.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I know it is bad form to encourage another person to act disingenuously but.... Have you considered bending the rules or selective interpretation of the pet policy?

Perhaps find a nice,quiet place that looks to hold some hope of reasonable tenant privacy (such as the landlord or property management live elsewhere), fill out the forms, give them their deposit and just don't mention the cat.

Keep the litterbox, food dishes and cat related accessories together in a back room so that you can easily close the door and still maintain plausible deniability when the inevitable unannounced visit happens from somebody who is not cleared to have knowledge of the cat.

Dont cause any hassles, pay the rent on time, keep the place up and think twice about what you bring in and throw away (50# bags of catfood and used cat litter in the garbage might raise suspicions
)

You shouldn't have any hassles and if you do get caught, something like "I know its against policy but it is only temporary until my relative gets out of the hospital. After the cancer was diagnosed the cat was all she has to look forward to" might buy some slack.

Its just a thought...

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Definitely a difficult and frustrating situation. Honestly though, Schuyler has a point. Its just a reality of it. Of course, the human tenants can do the same thing!

Just try some sites that allow you to select "pet friendly" apartments. I believe even sites like apartments.com allow you to specify.

There are others like this one and this one (directs to move.com, but they have decent icons) that help in the search too. You can also try places like craigslist, as they will frequently specify and you can even put up an ad yourself on craigslist looking for a place. You can also call agents that can help (cant remember the ones I have used).

Finding a location that will accept cats isnt too hard, but it does limit your choices. More places tend to be cat friendly than dog friendly too. Then, try finding a place when you have a "dangerous dog" breed, or even just a larger breed (over 120 lbs)! Even the places that advertise as extraordinarily pet friendly will show you the door, even after meeting the dog (this is largely due to insurance policies).

Best of luck!
edit on 27-6-2012 by sinohptik because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver

I agree but what about people who hoard kids and let them run wild? I know plenty of people in this area who fit that category just replace kids with pets and it's the same situation.

You persist in making this comparison. A cat IS NOT EQUAL to a kid. Not legally. Not morally. Not really. The question need not be answered.

Prior to the implementation of the Fair Housing Act, which is Title VIII of the Civil Rights Act of 1968 it was legal to also have a provision disallowing children. Now that is no longer the case because the FHA lists "family status" as one of the protected classes. It is "illegal to discriminate based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, familial status (including children under the age of 18 living with parents or legal custodians, pregnant women, and people securing custody of children under the age of 18), and handicap (disability)."

You will notice that cats are not on that list.

You have no legal grounds. This may be an emotional argument for you, but your actual question: "What about destructive kids?" is not a question that needs to be answered by anyone, including anyone here on ATS. It's irrelevant. You may be able to get people here on ATS to say, "Yeah! What about kids?!" but that does you no good whatsoever because a landlord or owner need not pay attention to it. If it came to that, it would be thrown out of court.

What you may want to think about doing is directing your attention to the problem itself rather than beating this old kids vs. cats argument to death, which gets you nowhere at all. Even if you received 100% affirmation from ATS that you are correct in all that you say, unless someone from ATS says, "Hey, I'll rent to you," it does no good at all.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
People seem to feel their pets are good and clean where other people's pets are dirty. That's not really the issue here. Even if your pet never pees in a corner or on the rug and always uses the litter box, with zero mistakes ever, they still cast off dander and fur which contributes to the 'environment.' and, frankly, smells up the place, along with the litter box, which smells even with that miracle clumping scented magic kitty litter. Even with your perfect pet, someone who walks in your apartment with cat allergies will know within seconds that you have a pet. If you think your pet is perfect, take a black light and light up the carpet in every room. Guaranteed you will find light 'splotches' you don't even know about. And when you move out, all that dander will still be there, virtually impossible to remove. And you've got a domestic long hair. Don't try to tell me they don't shed. You could weave a wall hanging with that fur.

I could go on about the damage a kid does to a house, also the same thing can be said about people period!! I guarantee if I take a black light to any apt I'll find disgusting traces from the previous owner. It doesn't matter if they had a pet or not, people are just as dirty and many are even dirtier!

My cat is a Persian and of course she sheds but she is groomed by me, it's my actual job besides my job as her owner. I work at a grooming shop.
I also obsessively clean her litter box. She looks at me funny because as soon as she gets out I go in there and clean it and wipe her paws as well.

And let's face it: It is a rare pet that is perfect. They make mistakes. They get sick, and when they get sick they make even more mistakes. They can and do tear up furniture, rugs, carpeting and drapes. It's in their nature; they're not being mean. The fact is that no pet has zero impact on a living space. Landlords and owners are protecting their investment, and since pets are not children covered under the Civil Rights Act, it is legal for them to do so. You can rant all you want, but I'm not going to rent to you.

Again lets face it it's rare a kid is perfect or a person is perfect, so what is your point? People get sick and do the same thing. I had a friends kid who peed all over the carpet while potty training (it reeked after that) and yet they aren't denied a place. I don't have kids and can't have them so my cat IS my kid. I think it is discriminatory to refuse people who have pets esp if they can prove their pet is properly taken care of ie references from other places they have lived.

Most of the places here are snotty Home Owner Associations which is something I am not use to and don't care for but the majority of this area is like that. I'm looking elsewhere and might get my sisters realtor to help me find a place that is pet friendly because the search engines for rentals is very slim and 90% of the time they don't even respond to phone calls or email inquires on their own sites. It's literally a joke here with rental companies how they don't care about the rental properties so they just let the phone ring and ignore emails because people never answer them back. It is really a whole new ball game than what I am use to and I don't care for it too much.

I do understand people have a right to refuse anyone but I think they should also consider talking to the person before making a decision. I have seen some places that say "pets allowed per owner approval" and I am inquiring on those tomorrow. The one place when I told them where I worked they loved it and had no problem with me having a pet after that but someone beat me to it and rented the place before I could turn in the application.

Also I can rant all I want since this IS the rant forum..

And don't tell me I don't know. For the last fifteen years I lived with four opinionated litter-trained siamese and a dog besides. I've had cats continuously for 35 years and am getting two more this summer. Joshua and Jericho, ocicats, a mix of Siamese and Abysinnian that look like ocelots. I know what it's like to live with them and clean up after them. And when they all finally left me, sadly, it still cost me $1000 to get all the carpets cleaned.

edit on 6/27/2012 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

I LOVE those cats, Siamese and Abyssinian. I had a neighbor years ago who had two Siamese and boy were they some characters. The one would sit on the clock by the door and bat at your head when you walked in, so you had to duck or take a hit to the forehead lol. I would love to get an Egyptian Mau or a Sphynx one day but that will have to wait when I can afford to spend that much on a cat or find a rescue that has them.

Thanks for your reply and please don't take my response the wrong way. I do get your point

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Drunkenparrot

Um that would be an irresponsible pet owner

I would not do that because I would fee bad that I lied about having a pet. You can be evicted for that and well I would rather not be homeless

Like I said I have offered money to some places but then again I only dealt with the "gate keeper" and not the owner of the property. From now on I am going to request to ask the owner myself. I am sure the owners of these places would be a little upset if they knew someone was offering free money so they could have a pet and the real estate company just said no.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver

Originally posted by phroziac

Buy a house

I didn't ask for sarcasm!!!!!

I don't want to buy a house nor can I afford it. If you didn't see the forum you were in then GO ELSEWHERE!

You deserve to be charged late fees, it's a LATE FEE which means you are an irresponsible tenant.

Unfortunately he/she may be right about buying being the only "real" option.
Many landlords won't allow pets of any sort, even goldfish as the bowl just might break.
Wish I had some real advice as my doggies are my bestest buddies and I'd live in my car before I let them go.
I imagine your cat is the same to you.
Good luck to you anyway, keep on plugging.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by sinohptik

Thanks

Yea the area I am in is very small. I use Apartments.com and craigslist, there are literally about 20 places with my rent limit being 800 and then when I put pets it cuts the list in half. It's very limited here. The area isn't like most cities where there are apt complexes. Most are old hotels and beach rental condos that have been converted so many are privately owned and the rules vary depending on the owner. It's a very touristy area, another reason I don't mind looking further south because I honestly can't take the traffic and tourists anymore. This is my first year having to deal with it and well lesson learned! Never live in a touristy area lol

I have since changed locations which puts me further from work but that is fine and there seems to be more places available. There are more apt complexes than condo associations and they are more pet friendly even saying dogs and cats which is nice because if I decide to get a small dog then I know it wouldn't be a problem.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Have you put up an ad yourself on craigslist? This has been very effective for me.

If it makes you feel any better, the general area I live in has a population of ~2.7 million people and there are four "official" places I can live with my dogs. Four!
edit: Three of these had no vacancies, nor any upcoming. The fourth did have one vacancy, but I had to wait a month before it opened up. This place was $950/mo and that did not include the $50 per dog/per month fee, nor any utilities. It also required a $500 pet deposit, along with a $950 security deposit, along with first/last months rent. At least it was a nice place, but I moved after a year when I located a much, much better option by posting an ad on craigslist.

I am lucky enough to have my own house now though.
edit on 27-6-2012 by sinohptik because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join