It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas GOP opposes teaching critical thinking skills, says creationism is science

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit
reply to post by stanguilles7

Well, I do not know about the states, but here in England, we speak English, and in the English language intelligent design is a term which implies deliberation in our arrival as a species, rather than it having been an utterly random, nay mathematically improbable event.

Bold mine.

There is often the misconception that the 'scientific' understanding of the universe does not account for 'god' or whathaveyou. Thats simply inaccurate. Even Darwin allowed that his theory of evolution was imply a better understanding of 'gods' design.

I tire of the extremists on both sides (christian fundamentalists and atheists) debating this issue as if its an either/or. It likely isnt, and the entire 'science' world is not out to refute 'god' by any means.

As for Intelligent Design in the States, perhaps you are unfamiliar with our long history of Christian fundamentalists preaching faux science:

In the 1920s Fundamentalist Christianity took up opposition to evolution, and effectively suspended teaching of evolution in U.S. public schools. In the 1960s, after evolution was reintroduced into the curriculum, Young Earth creationists promoted Creation Science as "an alternative scientific explanation of the world in which we live", which frequently invoked the design argument to explain complexity in nature. These explanations prefigured the intelligent arguments of irreducible complexity, even featuring the bacterial flagellum. Attempts to introduce this in schools led to court rulings that Creation Science is religious in nature, and thus cannot be taught in public school science classrooms.[19]

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 1-7-2012 by stanguilles7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   

reply to post by stanguilles7

Well, I do not know about the states, but here in England, we speak English, and in the English language intelligent design is a term which implies deliberation in our arrival as a species, rather than it having been an utterly random, nay mathematically improbable event.

Improbable - and therefore possible - misunderstanding or misapplying Borel's Law is anotehr creationist sophism.

I'll say it before and I say it again now - I don't care what you believe - I don't believe there is a god, but if you want to hey - fine - go right ahead.

Just don't require me to believe, and stop trying to portray your religion as science.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

I am not trying to do anything. Although I believe, I have no interest in whether other people do, and I do not even go to church,because I find them to be full of mindless dullards, not to mention bad for the soul.

My point is that actual physicists and mathematicians have long used the suggestions of intelligent design to imply that something, whether it is God, a god, a highly evolved alien intelligence, or what have you, created not just us, but this whole universe, that the entire evolution of all the freaking cosmos is actually according to a plan so vast and complex that it defies our small intellects to understand.

That is not asking for you to swear your oath on the Testament and lay down your soul for God. That is just a hypothetical possiblity based on the evidence, that some fairly weighty brains have come up with over the years to explain the complexity of our lives, and the huge mathemetical improbability of human life coming into being at all. Its not a recruiting campaign, it is a hypothesis. Get over it!

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

I better understand your point now, and think we are likely in agreement.

Thanks.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   

edit on 1-7-2012 by TrueBrit because: balls up

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   

My point is that actual physicists and mathematicians have long used the suggestions of intelligent design to imply that something, whether it is God, a god, a highly evolved alien intelligence, or what have you, created not just us, but this whole universe, that the entire evolution of all the freaking cosmos is actually according to a plan so vast and complex that it defies our small intellects to understand.

apart from a few nutjob creationists, scientists who are also believers do not call their belief science.

There is certainly a conspiracy to mislead the public in regard to what is faith and what is science - the Discover Institute is an attempt to do exactly that, as outlined in their wedge document - their 20 year goals:

-To see intelligent design theory as the dominant perspective in science.
-To see design theory application in specific fields, including molecular biology, biochemistry, paleontology, physics and cosmology in the natural sciences, psychology, ethics, politics, theology and philosophy in the humanities; to see its influence in the fine arts.
-To see design theory permeate our religious, cultural, moral and political life.

you say it is not a recruiting campaign - I say you aer wrong - it is a recruiting campaign - not only a recruiting campaign but a campaign to take over the entire USA, abrogate the constitution, redefine science and make the USA a backward theocracy.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 02:02 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Well..

I mean, I could rag on Texas and be all like " well what did you expect?", but it's not about that.

It's about the education system being so crappy, that critical thinking is now seen as a detriment to a young person's "belief systems" and that it may mess with "Parental Authority".

I mean wow.

I don't even know how to respond to this kind of nonsense. Just like that creative spelling crap they are pulling now...

It's just disgracefull.

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   

This is pretty shameful.
It's fairly obvious why a group of people would not want the human race to advance. Religion is the number one cause of the retardation of man's evolution.
If these new teachings are found to conflict with anyones beliefs, and the theories are sound and the proven theories which are accepted science move man closer toward understanding the universe in which we live, would the problem not be with the initial belief?
New teachings are what keep us as a species advancing. Critical thought is in direct opposition to the doctrine by which those who wish to control the masses use.
This cannot solely be about bruising people who reject science in favor of Biblical studies. This is about control and politics only.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   

I am a native born Texan and I've come to expect nothing less from the bunch of ignorant assed republicans who currently control our state. We haven't always been this way and I'm not sure how we got this way but it's pathetic.

It should be obvious to anyone with half a brain that the TP/GOP has now fully embraced pure ignorance as their foundation and declared intelligence to be their enemy. Without a steady pool of uneducated idiots, our TP/GOP "job creators" wouldn't have anyone to fill the role of exploitable employees.

If you want to know what unadulterated stupidity looks like, look no further than Rick Perry. If you want to know what pure stupidity in mass looks like, look no further than the TP/GOP.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Explanation: S&F!

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul
From their 2012 platform (page 12):

Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs that are simply a relabeling of Outcome-Based Education (OBE) (mastery learning) which focus on behavior modification and have the purpose of challenging the student’s fixed beliefs and undermining parental authority.

so there it is - indoctrination by parents is more important than being able to think for yourself according to the Texas GOP.

I suppose they meen they don't want people to be able to suss out their hypocrisy like this ...

Note: All quotes are taken directly from the pdf linked in the OP.

If It’s Good Enough For Us It’s Good Enough for Them -
The Government shall not, by rule or law, exempt any of its members from the provisions of such rule or law.

Versus ...

Homosexuality-
We affirm that the practice of homosexuality tears at the fabric of society and contributes tothe breakdown of the family unit. Homosexual behavior is contrary to the fundamental, unchanging truths thathave been ordained by God, recognized by our country’s founders, and shared by the majority of Texans.

Personal Disclosure: Can't fool me ... I am already stupid!

P.S. There are many GOOD policies in the document ... I am just showing up the OBVIOUS flaws ok!

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   

South Korea surrenders to creationist demands Publishers set to remove examples of evolution from high-school textbooks.

www.nature.com...

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by krossfyter

TEXANS FOR HIGHER ORDER THINKING SKILLS

19 Likes.

That about sums it up.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join