It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists offer £1,000 prize for answer to why hot water freeze faster than cold.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Source: Daily mail.

Fail.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   
The little man in your fridge/freezer that turns the light on and off when you open the door is messing with the water to get you back for years of slave labor

DC

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   
And they expect us to believe that we landed on the moon...

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by xDeadcowx

This is a real-life example of Maxwell's demon in action, thereby violating the Second Law of Thermodynamics! You're totally getting the Nobel Prize for this one.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I have studied thermodynamics and i can tell you that none of these answers are correct because every single one of them has already been theorized and tested and no conclusive evidence came from it....

This has been a mystery for over 500 years and even our quantum mechanics has no theory

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
The answer is rather simple. When you put something hot into a freezer this raises the temperature quickly causing the thermostat to kick in to bring the temperature down to the preset level. Cold water being closer to the preset temperature doesn't raise the temperature as fast so the compressor doesn't kick in as quickly.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   
To me the most logical answer is that the molecules are expanded at freezing and boiling equally. One part of energy conservation says that it takes energy to change from one form to another so this may bypass a step going from hot to cold.

The opposite is not true so there is some other mechanism involved or it would work the other way too.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Because water is bipolar.

link   
reply to post by GARN40ish

Doesn't boiling water kill all bacteria though? Or at least nearly all kinds?

link   
reply to post by buster2010

Your avatar is oh so apropros...

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by THEDUDE86

Ssshhhhh... leave them be. It is worth reading the responses.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
The posters saying it's because of the steam/vapor or because of the more energetic molecules or wider spacing of the molecules... all your theories are flawed because when the water is cooled to room temperature it would no longer produce steam and the water molecules would no longer be highly energetic or more widely spaced. But if the other container of water started at room temperature than it obviously had a head start, so it should theoretically freeze faster. There has to be some type of residual effect going on here.
edit on 27/6/2012 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by THEDUDE86
I have studied thermodynamics and i can tell you that none of these answers are correct because every single one of them has already been theorized and tested and no conclusive evidence came from it....

This has been a mystery for over 500 years and even our quantum mechanics has no theory

Do you know if this explanation is correct?
Why water freezes faster after heating

Surely if that theory was correct they could easily test it simply by boiling both water samples before hand.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   
All of the studies done have not had reproducible results on command using identical water samples.

In fact the only way they have gotten hot water to freeze faster that tap water is that the cold water had to be distilled while the hot water was regular tap water.

www.wired.com...

Also, "In the experiment, about two teaspoons of each sample were held in a copper device that completely surrounded the water, preventing evaporation and setting reasonably even temperatures. Freezing was official when sensors picked up an electrical signal created by ice formation."

And I wish they would have published how much time difference were between the samples freezing?

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   
It DOES NOT freeze faster than cold water................

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChaoticOrder

Originally posted by THEDUDE86

Do you know if this explanation is correct?
Why water freezes faster after heating

Surely if that theory was correct they could easily test it simply by boiling both water samples before hand.

hot water freezing faster than cold water has only been reproduced in one study and it was using hot tap water vs cold distilled water ...

"The experiment worked because the two types of water have different freezing points, Brownridge says. Differences in the shape, location and composition of impurities can all cause water’s freezing temperature — which in many cases is below zero degrees C — to vary widely. With a higher freezing point, the tap water had an edge that outweighed the distilled water’s lower temperature."

www.wired.com...

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tadeusz
reply to post by xDeadcowx

This is a real-life example of Maxwell's demon in action, thereby violating the Second Law of Thermodynamics! You're totally getting the Nobel Prize for this one.

Not really because it will not happen if you two samples of the same water...

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 02:09 AM
link   
if the answer was as simple as some of you think there would be no prize for answering it

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 02:13 AM
link   
There have been a lot of replies to this thread with most of them being nothing more than guesswork and speculation. For myself, simple common sense dictates that hot water, in a cooling phase, has to dissipate a lot more energy than say, room temperature water as they both head towards the freezing point. Therefore, an equal volume of hot water can NEVER freeze faster than the same volume of much cooler water ... given the same ambient conditions.

So, I decided to do a very simple experiment to prove that this is so.

I took 2 identical bottle caps (from a 2 litre soft drink bottle) and filled one with room temperature water and filled the other cap with freshly boiled water ... therefore identical volumes at very different temps.
I then placed both caps (carefully) side by side in the freezer compartment of my fridge.
Some time later, I checked on both and found that the cap containing room temp water was frozen solid whereas the cap that contained boiling water, though it had only partially frozen around the edges, top and bottom ... was still liquid in the centre.

Therefore, hot water does NOT freeze faster than cooler water.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 02:15 AM
link   
I've got one, not sure if it's been mentioned

Since the hot water has more heat, it transfers more quickly than the cold, allowing the temperature to drop quicker

Voila, freezes faster
Like I expect anybody to get the money..

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join