It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1984 Spy TV's

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I was reading up on George Orwell's 1984 and he talked about Television sets that could spy on people. We'll the first thing that came to mind was the new internet Tv's that had built in web cams and were compatible with software such as Skype. Coincidence? I thought this could make for a good thread, so I Googled and came across this article from the daily mail:

When people download a film from Netflix to a flatscreen, or turn on web radio, they could be alerting unwanted watchers to exactly what they are doing and where they are.

Spies will no longer have to plant bugs in your home - the rise of 'connected' gadgets controlled by apps will mean that people 'bug' their own homes, says CIA director David Petraeus.

The CIA claims it will be able to 'read' these devices via the internet - and perhaps even via radio waves from outside the home. Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... z1z0xz8gRI

Source

Sorry for the mumble jumble, in abit of a hurry!

What do you guys think?

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
In the Microsoft Xbox user agreement it says they are allowed to use the kinetic camera to spy on you. I have seen several news article of schools spying on kids threw laptops they have given out. If a school can do it any one can.
I bet that all company's that make laptops with web cams use it to spy, weather it be the company that made the laptop or the Government, their is no way they would not take advantage of the billions of camera's all over the world connected to the internet.
edit on 27-6-2012 by Infi8nity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Gotta cover them up with some burlap when you don't want people looking in on you! Imagine slapping your child in your home and somebody comes a knockin' with an arrest warrant!

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by DeadSnow

I guess the simple solution to that is, monitor your router traffic, and block the ports and or services being used without your consent. Skype is a joke to block.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Anything delivered through a coaxial cable.

Is capable of sending signals both directions.

It would be very simple to listen to a home.

You can bet they already do it....You know, for your protection.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by whyamIhere

I vote we all go and sit on a photo copier and then hang that picture in front of the camera just to let them know what we really think. Then again, I'm sure they would start a government program of digital butt-recognition.

edit on 27/6/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Typo

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I have a very cute low tack butterfly sticker over my web cam on my lap top. The only way to use my microphone on my lap top is to physically plug one in. Yeah, it's old but still works fine.

I have very old t.v.'s as my wallet can't afford to get new ones. My radio, well let's just say it still has a round knob to pick my stations as well as a switch to go from am to fm. There are benefits to being money poor. Privacy is way cool.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by froglette
I have very old t.v.'s as my wallet can't afford to get new ones.

There are benefits to being money poor. Privacy is way cool.

Maybe not that private.. This is from a thread I posted a while back
TV Now Keeps Eye On Viewers Pic
TV Now Keeps Eye on Viewers Thread
edit on 27-6-2012 by AKindChap because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by AKindChap

Thanks for that. That's some good stuff.

I will check my T.V.'s. I think they are before 97 but, I'm not sure. I use no digital converter, that whole thing freaked me out. Why? I don't know just didn't sit well with me. I do use cable. I know, but no digital cable box. Not that I'm paranoid, the darn thing was frustrating and everything worked better with out it. But as time has gone on and I am still not paranoid, but more aware, I'm glad I don't have them. Every time I call Time Warner they want me to get one. Probably just more money for them.

I will be sure to moon, pick my nose and get frisky with my husband in front of my TV's more often.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Recently I bought a second hand net-book that has a web camera and which I have never used. Next to the lens is a LED that shows weather it is on or off and on a few occasions, while I am connected to the internet it has activated itself for a brief time and then deactivates. Could be a glitch or it could be something else entirely. Note that when I bought it the lens was covered with a bit of black sticky tape which I removed.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   

“Items of interest will be located, identified, monitored, and remotely controlled through technologies such as radio-frequency identification, sensor networks, tiny embedded servers, and energy harvesters all connected to the next-generation internet using abundant, low-cost, and high-power computing. The latter now going to cloud computing, in many areas greater and greater supercomputing, and, ultimately, heading to quantum computing.”

Source

We have smart refrigerators and microwaves now that can also connect to the internet with built in microphones. This is just becoming ridiculous, Welcome to '1984'!....

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

Yeah Skype is easy, the problem is the hardware and not the software, If you have a fridge that can do it your screwed. Your best bet would be to avoid buying one in the first place, or open it up and disconnect the microphones and speakers.

reply to post by Infi8nity

I've always felt the same with playstations i or 'EYE' rather

edit on 27-6-2012 by DeadSnow because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join