It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The double slit experiment, what if...?.(calling all scientific and philosophical minds of ATS)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by reddwhite

Ok I read the rest of the thread. Now I can comment.

Well that would explain one mystery of light we really don't understand, why when sound waves propogate through a substance they accelerate but light slows down. If we take the inverse of that, than sound would travel faster in open space and light would travel faster in a substance solid/liquid/gas/plasma. Light passes threw the thickest part of a prism no matter where it strikes it, so the inverse would mean that light would travel towards the openest space it could find, but would be slowed for its efforts.

Don't know, gonna have to kick this around a while longer, I don't even think anything I wrote is a complete coherent thought.

Interesting thought experiment, I will have to get back to you a little later on.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 04:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by reddwhite
reply to post by IAmD1

I posted the comment about the double slit experiment. Most peeps seemed to want to totally discount a theory that has stood the test of time, but hey to each his own.

if you actually do the experiment it will immediately become clear that it does in fact work, every single time, no matter the distance of the light source from the slits. It is uterly baffling to watch it unfold.

Are you trying to say that what we in the space time we inhabit percieve them as being slits, but infact the slits are the solid part and the media the slits are present in is actually the empty space?

I am posing a mind experiement based on that premise yes. I am not actually saying it is so, just wondering if taking another look at it from a different stand point might shed some light or just lead to some interesting thinking around how the world functions and in particularly around how we draw conclusions around the slit experiment..

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 04:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by reddwhite
reply to post by reddwhite

Ok I read the rest of the thread. Now I can comment.

Well that would explain one mystery of light we really don't understand, why when sound waves propogate through a substance they accelerate but light slows down. If we take the inverse of that, than sound would travel faster in open space and light would travel faster in a substance solid/liquid/gas/plasma. Light passes threw the thickest part of a prism no matter where it strikes it, so the inverse would mean that light would travel towards the openest space it could find, but would be slowed for its efforts.

Don't know, gonna have to kick this around a while longer, I don't even think anything I wrote is a complete coherent thought.

Interesting thought experiment, I will have to get back to you a little later on.

Interesting. Yes when I came up with this idea of the inverse density reality i found it very intriguing why i posted it straight away, but I never imagined just how hard it would be to get my head around. I had to walk away from my own thought for a bit and let it settle in my mind. What you write above definitely gives some food for thought. I really do hope you come back with something expanding on this.

I got lost in rearranging my whole view of the world into this new idea and it was no small task so I left it all together hoping that my mind will let me know once it has solved some of the simpler problems relating to this. In terms of the slit experiment I will try to break it down into the events and inverse the parts to see if the slit experiment 'could' still happen as it does and what the new implication would be in that case.

I'm guessing this thread will take some time to materialize into something coherent but i really hope it does.

Let me just list what you are saying above in some smaller more manageable chunks of information.

1. Light slows down when traveling through matter. (The inverse would be it travels faster through matter)
- light is a photon particle released when exited electrons go from it's exited state back to a less exited state (right?) so the inverse would be - Light is a bubble in the material of space released when an electron (which is also a kind of bubble) moves from exited to less exited. (i.e more or less pressured? in bubble talk)
- Light is also a wave function in the space material. I.e the bubble both travels as a bubble in the matter and creates a ripple wave pattern in the space material (maybe?)
- Light bubble and the wave it create travels faster through the matter simply because it is the matter that is waving. And the wave and particle in this instance is a pair the particle is causing the matter to wave? The particle part would slow down when it encountered less dense areas (i.e more bubbly areas of the material) simply because it will not travel through empty space but rather travel around each space bubble and thus take a longer route in places where space had alot of bubbles? The wave associated with that bubble would then by default also slow down as they travel in unison.?
2. Sound waves accelerate in matter . (The inverse would be it accellerates in space)
So what are sound waves? They are just the medium what ever it may be waving at a certain frequency right? No particle per se involved in sound it is rather a waving of all particles that it encounter. So how would it accelerate in empty space?
One thought would be that the acceleration would result from that where there are bubbles the wave do not happen (as the wave is in the matter) in stead the space before the bubble that is waving will skip the bubble and wave the space after it.(since the matter is connected) The more bubbles the more 'jumps' in material. Since all the matter is connected this could work, there is never not a continuum of matter just more or less bubbles in it. (hmm not sure i explained that properly). The reason this wave accelerates and not the light wave is . Soundwave is not dependent on a matching bubble to cause it whereas light is a bubble that causes a wave pattern in it's path???

Also one of my favourite ideas is the unified filed theory where everything is caused by waveform happening. But my question was always what is waving? If we look at the inverse universe idea then maybe it would make sense more as there are mostly matter and some space within it. the space within would move the matter causing waves. Like air bubbles in a sealed container with water filled to the brim.

hmm going away to think for the 4th time lol
edit on 28/6/2012 by IAmD1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Neat idea.

It reminded me of the idea of Aether the medium that light was thought to travel through.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Here is completed data collection for two replications of the experiments reported in this publication. Both were statistically significant and in the predicted direction.

The point of this experiment was to use a system which is well known for illustrating some of the core mysteries within physics, as opposed to use of random systems where the connection to possible quantum observer effects is rarely, if ever, mentioned.

I do hope that anyone who attempts to replicate this experiment takes to heart that this is not just an ordinary physics experiment. The psychological and contextual factors are as important as the physical equipment. That is why the paper was published in a physics journal.

Consciousness and the double-slit interference pattern PDF download

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by IAmD1

I strongly suspect that because, to a single photon, the whole universe is touching in a timeless, spaceless, acausal domain, and because every chemical reaction in the universe involves the emission or absorption of a single photon, that the truth of the "matter" is that the whole universe is one very tricky photon whereby in the many are one. If so, once included, there is no escape, only the possibility of transformation.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join