It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coventry bar turns away funeral soldiers

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Look

I realise that you guys have your opinions which is fair enough, but to me its a little close to home and will likely get me banned if I carry on..

I find it hard to look at things like this with a cool, logical head... Because in my eyes, and no doubt in the eyes of those that were there, it was total disrespect to a brother who died with honour.. And this some how dishonours and disrespects his memory...

I know I would have likely been arrested if I had been there.... And I would not have given a crap about it either...

@PeruvianMonk... Infantrymen are not dumb btw... Im one.. I have a science degree, can speak 4 languages, can get a platoon of guys from a to b with vehicles and equipment without being seen.. I am just as qualified as a paramedic, I am a communications expert, weapons and tactics (fieldcraft) expert and can survive anywhere on the planet... Do not make gross assumptions about the intelligence of infantrymen.. Granted, some are dumb as rocks (geordies lol) but most are highly trained individuals.. We are also athletes and fitter than most people on the planet..

Had to put that in there lol..

Im off to get drunk.. Enjoy the debate

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by EvanB

I find it hard to look at things like this with a cool, logical head... Because in my eyes, and no doubt in the eyes of those that were there, it was total disrespect to a brother who died with honour.. And this some how dishonours and disrespects his memory...

That's fair enough man.
But that's how YOU feel and not how everyone else feels.

You can't expect pubs and other businesses to go changing their rules and make exceptions every time a soldier or police officer or firefighter or paramedic wants something.

The world doesn't work like that.

It's like pubs that don't allow football shirts..... they don't want the arguing, trouble and conflict that they cause.

Maybe this guy doesn't allow uniforms for the same reasons?

Because it always gets political and people argue... and when people are drunk and they start arguing, trouble only follows.

We may not agree with his actions (I certainly don't) but it is his business and his decision.

If people disagree with him they'll show him by not drinking and spending their money there.

Getting all crazy and threatening violence and all the other crazy things is just unnecessary, people will speak and act with their wallets.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Still sounds to me like this so called "No uniform" policy was completely made up on the spur of the moment when the press showed an interest.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Peruvianmonk
reply to post by EvanB

Ha ha, I assume you think we aren't worth keeping "safe" then? Because that is what you did in Iraq and are doing in Afghanistan right?

May as well become a mercenary instead and actually make some money out of killing people.

To be honest, im in it for the cool uniform, the chicks, and I get to blow crap up...

Chicks dig the uniform dude.. Seriously

I could not give a flying monkeys bollocks about keeping you "safe"

You can do that yourself!

You finally gave up the pretence and said it how it is.

How refreshing....and embarrassing. You sound like some kind of cave men.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by DeyTookErJeobs

It is great that they were protecting that bar by being in Afghanistan. Please explain how that works.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by earthdude

When in any of this did i say that fighting in Afghanistan you are protecting the bar? I'm trying to get across that they should be treated with a bit more respect then some people on here are showing. You have to realize that there is a huge support in our great nation towards the armed forces, and of course you have freedom of speech, something that countless souls have given their lives to uphold, to disagree. But don't say soldiers are bad people, they have family and friends just like anyone else and they are some of the nicest people I know. If you want to blame anyone its the politicians that start all these wars, soldiers just do their jobs and they do them good. These people can survive anywhere on the planet with simple necessities, if there was a disaster and you lost power and had no food or water you wouldn't know what to do with yourself, just because apart of the job is firing a gun doesn't make them bad people, they are highly skilled people, and unfortunately war is apart of human nature, always has done, always will.

Also the wife of the Micheal has accepted the apology, but also said the damage has been done and will not stop until the business is closed, which is did today, this is being echoed by over 100,000 people...
edit on 29/6/2012 by DeyTookErJeobs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 05:02 AM
link   

has accepted the apology, but also said the damage has been done and will not stop until the business is closed, which is did today,

Well that's sad. Ruin a man's livelihood and run his business into the ground....and he really deserved that, just because a couple of people didn't get a cup of tea?

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 05:03 AM
link   

What that bar owner did may have seemed wrong but he was well within his rights and freedoms to do so.

You know, those rights and freedoms that the troops are supposedly protecting?

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 05:20 AM
link   
I am not even going into the morality behind punishing someone who sacrifices for your country. It is just bad business. I have had to have conversations that made my skin crawl. When you are behind the bar you have to act like psychologist, friend, referee, and anything else your customer needs.

They start crying, you have to pop up with a tissue. They get harassed by a drunk, you got to step in. They want to rant about politics, you have to listen. It is part of the sacred duty of a bartender. I am serious. You have to take it seriously. It is part of the job / tradition.

I would serve the Bushes, the whole of the NWO, and the devil himself if he came into my place. I may consider kicking their ass outside if I catch them at closing, but when I am on duty as their bar-man, I will serve them and anyone else faithfully. That is being professional.

England with its time honored bar tradition should expect them to know this.

Now about the morality of being a prick in life......it sucks and you then don't deserve nice things, like customers.

edit on 30-6-2012 by BIHOTZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by BIHOTZ
I am not even going into the morality behind punishing someone who sacrifices for your country. It is just bad business. I have had to have conversations that made my skin crawl. When you are behind the bar you have to act like psychologist, friend, referee, and anything else your customer needs.

They start crying, you have to pop up with a tissue. They get harassed by a drunk, you got to step in. They want to rant about politics, you have to listen. It is part of the sacred duty of a bartender. I am serious. You have to take it seriously. It is part of the job / tradition.

I would serve the Bushes, the whole of the NWO, and the devil himself if he came into my place. I may consider kicking their ass outside if I catch them at closing, but when I am on duty as their bar-man, I will serve them and anyone else faithfully. That is being professional.

England with its time honored bar tradition should expect them to know this.

Now about the morality of being a prick in life......it sucks and you then don't deserve nice things, like customers.

Good on you dude.

Good bar staff are a different breed, it's not a job I'd relish, having little or no patience and a grumpy demeanor, I think I'd last about a day.

As to the policies of the Coventry bar, in my opinion, they should be laid aside in situations like this, regardless of whether the men were wearing military uniforms or not. What people are outraged by is the lack of compassion shown by the owner on the day of the funeral, add to that the gravity of proceedings ie the deceased having died serving his country, whether you think the armed forces deserve respect or not, the owner made a bad call and he's regretting it now. The best barmen, again IMO, are people who can read a situation and make a decision that benefits all, I've seen this time and time again.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 06:27 AM
link   
The root of the problem is the death of the landlord run pub.
Too many chain pubs and Wetherspoons wannabes in the game now.
Hell, you think its bad getting a drink in uniform? Try rolling up with a few mates on your bikes and see if you get served.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kram09

Originally posted by Peruvianmonk
reply to post by EvanB

Ha ha, I assume you think we aren't worth keeping "safe" then? Because that is what you did in Iraq and are doing in Afghanistan right?

May as well become a mercenary instead and actually make some money out of killing people.

To be honest, im in it for the cool uniform, the chicks, and I get to blow crap up...

Chicks dig the uniform dude.. Seriously

I could not give a flying monkeys bollocks about keeping you "safe"

You can do that yourself!

You finally gave up the pretence and said it how it is.

How refreshing....and embarrassing. You sound like some kind of cave men.

Me ummm could not give a crap what you think of ummm me... Unga bunga..

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Kram09

The bar owner has been refusing lots of different people for the last 20 years for no reason at all, this has tipped the people of Coventry's patience and they've had enough, Karma...

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by BIHOTZ

Never heard so much bull# spoken about being a bartender. The job is to serves drinks in a polite and competent manner. I ain't stepping in between two drunks having a row, that is the bouncers job. I have worked in many bars and no-one (customer) has ever needed a tissue, people don't speak about their problems with you, why would they?

Talk about an epic mythological fail.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Peruvianmonk

Listen tard...

You may work in crappy bars and places where you only get served if you are frat boy----

I have over a decade working in many places and OWN my own place now. I would even serve you though you need a slap to the head instead of a drink.

I have talked people through divorces, stopped date rape on 2 occasions, been an active member of my community, stopped fights, and served with professionalism and pride in my work. all from behind the bar. I get involved and thats what makes me a great bartender / waiter.

I know my customers and care about them. I hate people like you that do this work because it is a means to an end. Go back to school. You shouldn't be working in a bar. To those of us who see this as tradition, you are a disturbance to our trade.

ps, if it was not clear enough.......screw you, you grumpy bastard. I would still serve you though.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by BIHOTZ

Hero

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by BIHOTZ

I have worked in a variety of places what you would consider crap and good and take pride in my work but am not going to act like I am some kind of hero. You stopped date rape? Er so would anyone, you were just in the position to observe it.

You hate me and would slap me to the head? Ha ha whatever mate you clearly take serving a beer way to seriously, even for an owner.

Grumpy bastard? You are such a charmer, what is the name and location of your establishment so I can come down with a placard and shout rabble, rabble at your face?

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Peruvianmonk

if you are ever in northern Spain, come on down. I´ll PM you if you are serious with info.

Oh and I have seen waiters stand by and let a poor fool get beat down ( lower east side NY)
I have seen waiters ignore ugly or fat people. I have seen waiters steal from their customers. I have seen all sorts of things that a little professionalism and care could have avoided.

It is not the priesthood, but do anything you do with pride and to the best of your ability.

I am not a hero, just one guy you can't be a prick around.

Am I right? I don't know. I am 28 and own my own place which I paid for with nothing but my work. I guess I am dunce for being the best waiter/ bar-man I can be.

It pays off to care. In more ways than one.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Enjoy your beers and opinions on us

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by BIHOTZ

No you aren't a dunce but neither am I a tard. Obviously the behaviors you list are terrible. Literally last night a couple (somehow) left their Swarovski bag with jewelry in it, I immediately whisked in from the table and put it in the managers office, they returned in half an hour and I gave it to them. These are just basic moral judgments.

Northern Spain sounds lush by the way.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join