It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coventry bar turns away funeral soldiers

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Peruvianmonk
reply to post by EvanB

Ha ha, I assume you think we aren't worth keeping "safe" then? Because that is what you did in Iraq and are doing in Afghanistan right?

May as well become a mercenary instead and actually make some money out of killing people.

To be honest, im in it for the cool uniform, the chicks, and I get to blow crap up...

Chicks dig the uniform dude.. Seriously

I could not give a flying monkeys bollocks about keeping you "safe"

You can do that yourself!

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by EvanB

To be honest, im in it for the cool uniform, the chicks, and I get to blow crap up... Chicks dig the uniform dude.. Seriously I could not give a flying monkeys bollocks about keeping you "safe" You can do that yourself!

Ha ha, I bet those chicks are like well clever.

Blow crap up? You mean people, right?

You're right I know Kung-Fu.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

Originally posted by EvanB
Ahhhh civvies...

Would not piss on any of them if they was on fire...

Wow.

You see man, its that attitude. The "I am military, so I am above you civvies" attitude that is just so off putting. Soldiers will get the same respect from me, as the butcher, or the hairdresser down the street.

They are men and woman doing a job. Thats it. No special treatment from me for being a soldier mate.

vvv

Cool

I dont want any special treatment from you.. You wont get none from me either.. Believe it or not.. We do not need your pats on the back or want them

The disdain you lot treat us with is returned right back at you..

Guess when tshtf you will be on your own, because i meant what i said in my last post..

No special treatment goes both ways

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Deleted coz I didnt mean it..

edit on 29-6-2012 by EvanB because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Hey now mate, I am not the one that said I will go peeing on people.

Disdain you get treated with? I am sure there are thousands and thousands that support you guys, for whatever reasons they have.

So thanks mate, and carry on.

vvv

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

Hey now mate, I am not the one that said I will go peeing on people.

Disdain you get treated with? I am sure there are thousands and thousands that support you guys, for whatever reasons they have.

So thanks mate, and carry on.

vvv

I said I would NOT piss on people.. Get it right..

Remember the proverb treat those how they treat you? That applies here..

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by EvanB

I'm glad you changed your mind on that, because there is literally no point in thinking like that.

I don't think of you all with disdain, I am touched occasionally when I hear of a death, but I am more angered when civilians are killed in these conflicts.

My main problem with the military is that despite all the PR trying to limit the reality of what the true role of the organisation is, in this country it is not a self-defence force but a killing machine, sent abroad to commit state sanctioned murder on behalf of what our elected officials see as our geo-strategic priorities.

I could never join such an organisation. I understand why many do. Many are uneducated, impoverished young men and increasingly young women looking for direction and a reliable paycheck and I respect that. I just wish we could deal with the underlying problems of poverty, lack of education in this country so a military would not be neccesary.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   
If we could please all step away from this "Oh I hate the military and everything the Uniform stands for" bollocks for one moment. I would just like to ponder on why on earth they have a policy of no uniforms in the first place. Who does it offend, and why?

Of course soldiers can be a handful where booze is concerned but one would think it's easier to spot and report someone for causing a ruck in Uniform, than one in plain clothes. Not just that but to think of all the funerals, not just of serving soldiers but old timers like Grandads and Uncles that have serving kin attend wearing either their current Uniform or their Blues in reverence and respect, are they to be told to sling their damn hook too?

Personally I find it disgusting behavior and discriminatory and thankfully a great many others do too.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by EvanB

reply to post by EvanB

Ha ha, I assume you think we aren't worth keeping "safe" then? Because that is what you did in Iraq and are doing in Afghanistan right?

May as well become a mercenary instead and actually make some money out of killing people.

To be honest, im in it for the cool uniform, the chicks, and I get to blow crap up...

Chicks dig the uniform dude.. Seriously

I could not give a flying monkeys bollocks about keeping you "safe"

You can do that yourself!

Explanation: Starred!

I admire your monsterous logic!

However it is completely unreasonable!

Personal Disclosure: Cowardice is unbecoming of a soldier!

Attacking civilians, even verbally, is clearly a sign that something has become dangerously unhinged!

You might want to turn that attitude 180 degrees before someone or something officially royal flushes your military career in spades!

P.S. quoted from the article linked in the OP ...

The owner of the bar, Mr Brown, said: "I can only apologise again to the family and anybody else who was upset during the funeral service.

"Just that I'm sorry and that it wouldn't have happened if we had been aware of the funeral at the rear of Brown's, in the cathedral."

Cpl Thacker's widow says she has accepted the apology.

If it's good enough for the deceased soldiers widow, then the boycotting of the bar should be lifted to reflect that and the focus should then be redirected upon the wider issue of "for the sake of appearances!".

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

Attacking civvies verbally is a sign of being unhinged?? But its ok for them to attack us hey?

Maybe we are all a little unhinged

"monsterous logic".. That will be my next tattoo

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   

The owner of the bar, Mr Brown, said: "I can only apologise again to the family and anybody else who was upset during the funeral service. "Just that I'm sorry and that it wouldn't have happened if we had been aware of the funeral at the rear of Brown's, in the cathedral." Cpl Thacker's widow says she has accepted the apology.

Seem's a rather lame excuse though. Exactly how normal is it for squaddies to go out on the lash in their uniforms?
I would have thought it wasn't allowed unless it was a strictly formal event like a wedding or funeral.
Common sense would therefore dictate it to be one of the two.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Suspiria

The owner of the bar, Mr Brown, said: "I can only apologise again to the family and anybody else who was upset during the funeral service. "Just that I'm sorry and that it wouldn't have happened if we had been aware of the funeral at the rear of Brown's, in the cathedral." Cpl Thacker's widow says she has accepted the apology.

Seem's a rather lame excuse though. Exactly how normal is it for squaddies to go out on the lash in their uniforms?
I would have thought it wasn't allowed unless it was a strictly formal event like a wedding or funeral.
Common sense would therefore dictate it to be one of the two.

Aside from my last sarcastic posts.. Which was just dark squaddie humour.. What some civvies do not seem to grasp is that when a squaddie dies, his mates are not just mates.. We are family.. Its like losing a brother or sister.. In fact.. In a weird sense we are closer than family and it fkn hurts... We wear the uniform on the day of his /her funeral.. Bull (spit and polish) our boots and medals, make the creases sharp and look our best because that is the last thing we can ever do for our brother.. What else can we do for him?.. We do it to show our love.. I still even now grieve for my lost brothers.. Same dates every year.. And I have a drink for them because that is all I can do, and live my life as well as I can to honour them..

And that loss is felt even by those who do not know him/her who are and have served because we are family..

You may not agree with the war.... I dont either... But stamping on someones grief and politicizing it is beyond redemption in my eyes....... And those assholes on threads like this who do politicize it need to have some respect... They may not have died for you, but they still died, people loved them and will miss them and all you are doing is making them suffer more just to make your disrespectful, pathetic, little point....

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   

reply to post by DeyTookErJeobs

That is the policy of the bar, its their private premises and they can decide who is allowed in and the dress code. The owner has apoligised since, claiming he was unaware of the funeral, what else do you want?

The guy is a lying scumbag with a political agenda , the towns people should shut him down . Without business he will be forced to sell at below market prices .

As far as your post goes it is no more genuine than the lame apology offered by the loser pub owner .

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Peruvianmonk

TextI could never join such an organisation. I understand why many do. Many are uneducated, impoverished young men and increasingly young women looking for direction and a reliable paycheck and I respect that. I just wish we could deal with the underlying problems of poverty, lack of education in this country so a military would not be neccesary

Talk about uneducated and ignorant , your statement oozes these lowest of low qualities . The military of today is a highly motivated voulenteer force. They only accept the best and many of the jobs in today's military take highly trained computer and electronics skills . My son is trained to operate and repair satalites and associated equipment .

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by cranspace
The British people need to wake up and realise that the Men and Women of the Armed Forces risk their lives
So that we can live peaceful lives

That is THE single most stupid and deluded thing I've read on ATS for a long time.

If you truly believe that then you need help.

Oh and ATS is really not the place for you.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Azadok2day

Talk about uneducated and ignorant , your statement oozes these lowest of low qualities . The military of today is a highly motivated voulenteer force. They only accept the best and many of the jobs in today's military take highly trained computer and electronics skills . My son is trained to operate and repair satalites and associated equipment .

I am talking about the infantry and I was not blaming the people themselves but the system of impoverishment that they live in.

Good for your son. I just think its a shame his skills can't be applied in a positive arena (because of a lack of jobs) where the work benefits us all rather than for military means.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   

edit on 29-6-2012 by EvanB because: coz you just aint worth it

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup

Originally posted by cranspace
The British people need to wake up and realise that the Men and Women of the Armed Forces risk their lives
So that we can live peaceful lives

That is THE single most stupid and deluded thing I've read on ATS for a long time.

If you truly believe that then you need help.

Oh and ATS is really not the place for you.

Also let me clarify this.

I don't mean that there aren't good people in the forces or that they aren't brave and honourable.

I mean the wars that we have involved ourselves in in the last decade or so are BS.

They are not fighting for our freedom... they are not out to protect the world.

To believe this is stupid.

I was in no way trying to say that soldiers are to blame.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by EvanB

You may not agree with the war.... I dont either... But stamping on someones grief and politicizing it is beyond redemption in my eyes....... And those assholes on threads like this who do politicize it need to have some respect... They may not have died for you, but they still died, people loved them and will miss them and all you are doing is making them suffer more just to make your disrespectful, pathetic, little point....

We are discussing this whole subject of the incident/military and feelings toward them in general, as are you. Why can't we go into greater depth about what the military is and represents? Is that off-topic?

I am not stamping on anyone's grief, I am trying to have a discussion with you on it all, where you have made as many flippant comments as other posters. What difference does it make to these people (families & friends of the dead) what any of us type on this forum? Do not try and make out that any of this matters, it is called a debate. I have already noted that it is sad for the people in the forces when they lose someone BUT it is inevitable as part of the job specification is to be basically be in a position to kill and be killed.
edit on 29-6-2012 by Peruvianmonk because: Spelling

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by EvanB

Who is stamping on anyone's grief?

War is political.

We're involved and have been involved in conflicts for entirely political reasons.

It's sad when ANYONE dies..... anyone.... and every single victim of these conflicts, be they Afghan, Iraqi, NATO troops.... US, UK.... whoever.... all had lives and feelings and dreams and family and loved one's.

Nobody is more important or better.

You may have an affiliation to the armed forces and that's fair enough.

But I am touched an affected for every innocent civilian that dies in these pointless and needless wars... as much as I am by any losses our troops suffer.

People are people.

ALL of them

edit on 29/6/12 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join