It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coventry bar turns away funeral soldiers

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeyTookErJeobs
reply to post by fixer1967

Cheers, I didn't know if we could post facebook links on ATS so I left it out.

I did not know either. I just took the chance.
edit on 6/27/2012 by fixer1967 because: spelling

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
As many have pointed out, technically the pub hasn't done anything wrong as it's a business and they can chose to serve who they like.

I don't agree with the whole thing about soldiers who have been risking their lives for the town nonsense, but I think it's a bit harsh that they wern't served. Surely if they explained the situation and that they would be attending a funeral the owner could have made an exception.

However why were they trying to go into a pub for a coffee or tea? I'm not being funny but you don't go into a pub for those things. Wasn't there a cafe or somewhere nearby?

At the end of the day the owner did what he was entitled to, no matter how wrong it may seem to many.

He has since apologised.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Somewhat off topic here, but I'm really disliking this sycophantic admiration we're starting to have for the armed forces in this country. It's become to much like the United States in it's glorifying.

I'll treat members of the armed forces with the equal amount of respect that I treat everybody else, no more no less. I won't put them on a pedestal and worship them.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by DeyTookErJeobs

So... if I wanted to hold a funeral across the street from a military compound and decided I wanted to ask the general for some coffee and enter the base, they would give it to me?

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

How can you even try to use that logic, soliders are still citizens of their country, they should be allowed in no matter how their dressed, people care about the armed forces that's why over 70,000 have shown their support, that's why their on the news when they lose their lives (no where near enough coverage) instead we hear about who's getting with who on next weeks Eastenders. We have rights to go to any bar we want they caused no disturbance, it makes no sense to try and compare it to going to the 'general' for a cuppa you have no links with the armed forces, its not even funny to be sarcastic about it.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeyTookErJeobs
reply to post by Cuervo

How can you even try to use that logic, soliders are still citizens of their country, they should be allowed in no matter how their dressed, people care about the armed forces that's why over 70,000 have shown their support, that's why their on the news when they lose their lives (no where near enough coverage) instead we hear about who's getting with who on next weeks Eastenders. We have rights to go to any bar we want they caused no disturbance, it makes no sense to try and compare it to going to the 'general' for a cuppa you have no links with the armed forces, its not even funny to be sarcastic about it.

I wouldn't let any uniformed mercenaries (armed or not) in my home and I wouldn't in my bar, either.

Honestly, if I new the situation, I'd totally help them out but I can totally understand why the owner in question didn't.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by DeyTookErJeobs

I understand some people may not like the armed forces because apart of the job involves returning fire and potentially takeing a life. But people don't join up because they get to shoot a gun, I'm joining up because I would get to travel the world, see places I've never seen before, learn how to live on my own and part of a group, meet friends that you couldn't find on civvy street, do a job not many people do. Just some of my reasons.

"Returning fire", it is usually our forces that fire the first shot in these conflicts.

meet friends that you couldn't find on civvy street

What does this mean? You are liable to meet many mentally challenged and imbalanced people within the army and face a lot of bullying or harassment if you do not "fit in".

Ok you are doing it to get to travel the world. The reality is though you will be involved at some point in state sanctioned violence that WILL lead to the deaths of others, if you are ok with that then fine, but don't expect the rest of us to hold you in some kind of reverence.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   

edit on 27-6-2012 by lacrimosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by fixer1967
This is the Facebook link if I did it right for the Boycott page

Facebook link

And this is the place

Feckin Barstewards

Cran

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by cranspace

Yea lets go down there and trounce the place, the owners are evil, rabble, rabble rabble.

Sigh.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Peruvianmonk

Yea lets go down there and trounce the place, the owners are evil, rabble, rabble rabble

No just a general boycott
The British people need to wake up and realise that the Men and Women of the Armed Forces risk their lives
So that we can live peaceful lives
The UK and for that matter any Countries Armed Forces have earned and deserve the upmost Respect

Cran

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by cranspace

The UK and for that matter any Countries Armed Forces have earned and deserve the upmost Respect

Not from me.
They'll be getting nothing but my disdain.
All they are doing is continuing the violent and unsustainable paradigm.

As John Lennon said" Imagine".

Nope, the armed forces won't get my respect. In fact, if I'm ever in Coventry, I will make sure that I have a drink in this bar.

So, given that you said the above quote, do you have the utmost respect for the armed forces of Iran/Iraq/Afghanistan/China/New Zealand/Fiji/Angola etc etc.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 05:40 AM
link   
I don't for one second, believe that all they wanted was a "tea or coffee" , lol. On the balance of probabilities, they wanted some "Dutch courage", aka, alcohol. They were attending a funeral, even I would want something stronger than tea or coffee.

However, I don't agree with the attitude of the bar either. Sure, they are entitled to set whatever rules they want, but that does not mean I have to agree with them, and I don't. All it means is that I have to obey them.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 05:52 AM
link   
So let me get this right.

Because a bar owner, stuck to his policy, people want his bar closed down?

WTF!!??

The man runs a business, and business does not run on emotions. He has rules, and he stuck to it.

Now because some soldiers did not get served at his bar, they want the place boycotted and closed down!??

Wow, talk about having respect for your soldiers, but you don't even have respect for your local townsman.

This whole thing is absurd, and I feel that the owner of the bar must sue for slander against his name, and that of his establishment.

vvv

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

Wow, talk about having respect for your soldiers, but you don't even have respect for your local townsman.

According to some of the posters on this thread soldiers should garner the utmost respect above all others. The policy of this bar was clear, no army uniforms to be worn. Yes they were attending a funeral which was sad for them but it is hardly unexpected. If you join the armed forces, in particular the infantry you should almost accept the high probability that you/friends you make will be injured or killed, that is your job.

As for a boycott, wouldn't it be better to protest at parliament to provide better education and job opportunities for these people so they never feel the need to join the armed forces?

If the owner or workers of this pub are assaulted as a result of this I will not be surprised.
edit on 29-6-2012 by Peruvianmonk because: Spelling

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 06:38 AM
link   

If the owner or workers of this pub are assaulted as a result of this I will not be surprised.
reply to post by Peruvianmonk

Indeed mate.

And then this people that thought they are supporting the soldiers, are doing nothing more but persecuting an innocent man, trying to run a business.

I say shame on them, and shame on this whole ridiculous boycott against this bar.

vvv

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by cranspace

The British people need to wake up and realise that the Men and Women of the Armed Forces risk their lives So that we can live peaceful lives

I am afraid the conflicts that these men and women have been involved in over the the last 10 years have put our country at more risk of terrorist attacks.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Ahhhh civvies...

Would not piss on any of them if they was on fire...

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by EvanB

Ha ha, I assume you think we aren't worth keeping "safe" then? Because that is what you did in Iraq and are doing in Afghanistan right?

May as well become a mercenary instead and actually make some money out of killing people.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by EvanB
Ahhhh civvies...

Would not piss on any of them if they was on fire...

Wow.

You see man, its that attitude. The "I am military, so I am above you civvies" attitude that is just so off putting. Soldiers will get the same respect from me, as the butcher, or the hairdresser down the street.

They are men and woman doing a job. Thats it. No special treatment from me for being a soldier mate.

You know what!? Actually I wouldn't want your piss on me anyway.

vvv
edit on 29-6-2012 by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join