It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religious circumcision of kids a crime - German court

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Religious circumcision of kids a crime - German court

www.rt.com

A German court has ruled that parents can’t have their sons circumcised on religious grounds in a move which has angered Muslim and Jewish groups in the country.

The court in Cologne decided that a legal guardian’s authority over a child does not allow them to subject them to the procedure, which the court called minor bodily harm, reports The Financial Times Deutschland.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.theaustralian.com. au
news.yahoo.com

+10 more 
posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I usually refrain from posting controversial articles such as this, but this one is an exception. I for one am glad to see this. Circumcising a child should be considered mutilation. A baby isn't old enough to make the decision as to whether he wants a piece of his penis clipped off or not. Germany just took a step in the right direction, and I hope to see more countries in the West do the same.

www.rt.com

+12 more 
posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
It's child abuse.

It's genital mutilation and the list of side effects and negative reprocussions of circumcision are well documented and researched.

I applaud the German courts for taking this stance. Babies should not be forced to have their genitals mutilated because of some misplaced religious concept.

~Tenth

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Xaphan

not surprised theres loads of turks in germany
i would be peed off if someone chopped off a valuable part of my noodle

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xaphan

I usually refrain from posting controversial articles such as this, but this one is an exception. I for one am glad to see this. Circumcising a child should be considered mutilation. A baby isn't old enough to make the decision as to whether he wants a piece of his penis clipped off or not. Germany just took a step in the right direction, and I hope to see more countries in the West do the same.

www.rt.com

I have to agree with you, circumcision is obviously an outdated religious practice and boy's should be able to decide when there mature enough if they want to under go the removal of foreskin for whatever reason (Without pressure from religious authorities, family or peers)

Well done for an actual court getting something right..

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by databomb

Welcome to ATS!

You just got your first star

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Xaphan

This is a very good thing imo as well. No one should have their body mutilated for religious or traditional reasons without being old enough to consent to it themselves.
It should only be done if there is a medical reason for it.
I have even talked to some guy who cant even ever have a orgasm thanks to circumcision going wrong and there is all kinds of other complication that can happen.
Even when done properly you do always lose sensation since they cut off nerves.

There is also finally a debate about this here in Norway, so I hope our stupid politicians come to their senses on this matter.
edit on 27-6-2012 by juleol because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
This might get interesting.

I remember reading a news story about jews and muslims JOINTLY protesting some American cities proposition to ban circumcision.

Will the jews cite this act as "anti-semitism"?
Will the jews collaborate with muslims to reverse this law?

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by sk0rpi0n

I bet this will get ugly in Germany when the Jewish community cries "The Germans are taking our rights away AGAIN! HELP!!!"

edit on 27-6-2012 by Xaphan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Whichever side of this you are on. This is wrong.

This sets a precedent that the government can control how you raise your children. Next there will e a law on which foods you an feed your kids. Won't be shocked to hear they ban children in synagogues. Nazis must never have left the offcie

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I applaud this decision.

About time that this barbaric, archaic practice was outlawed.

+2 more 
posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by dorkfish87
Whichever side of this you are on. This is wrong.

This sets a precedent that the government can control how you raise your children. Next there will e a law on which foods you an feed your kids. Won't be shocked to hear they ban children in synagogues. Nazis must never have left the offcie

No, this isn't about the government having power over you. This is about people understanding that child abuse is wrong and should be illegal.

Would you be upset if the government passed a law that said you could not murder somebody, if that law did not already exist? Would that be the government over stepping their authority?

I think not.

Children are defenseless and it's up to us to defend them. Cutting off their genitals, or allowing people to do so is a crime and sometimes, we have to agree that the government and it's legislative bodies are correct.

~Tenth

link   
The article says the circumcised child was 4-years old. That appears to be a few steps harder than circumcising a newborn child. Maybe there should be an age-limit. Just an observation.

link   
reply to post by dorkfish87

What type of food you feed your child and whether they are raised with religious teachings is not the same as clipping a piece of his penis off. Making a decision like this for somebody that isn't even old enough to think is wrong no matter what you say. What if that child grows up and realizes that he didn't want his penis mutilated in the name of a false god? It's child abuse, plain and simple, and so far most of the opinions in this thread are against yours.

By your logic, female circumcision should be legal too.
...I really, REALLY hope you don't think it should be

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
About time someone stands up to the practices of the religious. Most are harmless, but like this one, not all of them are.

Also, question for anyone who supports circumcision from a religious standpoint. How can you believe in God, and all that jazz, but think that his creation is not good enough? That it needs to be modified before it is worthy.
This God is all knowing, and all powerful, but needs a mortal hand to fix one of his 'mistakes'? I do not get the logic in that, but then again, logic introduced into a religious conversation never really gets far.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Female circumcision causes a hell of a lot more permanent suffering tho the girl than male circumcision does. So no I don't agree with female circumcision because it does harm the child. But circumsision doesn't at all. And I've met very few men who wish their parents hadn't done it. Only one actually. But I can name at least a dozen who had the surgery as adults and wish that it was done for them as a kid.

By this standard you can't pierce your kids ears because it hurts. Don't raise them in the wrong religion, could cause them harm.

Try growing up in a world that tells you that your are disgusting and unnatural fr being who you are. Try growing up being ridiculed for your religion, or skin color.

Parents raise there kids the best they know how. According to Judaic doctrine you can't go to heaven without this happening. So you explain to these little boys why they won't be in heaven when they die.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Not to get too personal, but I am a circumcised male. I wish my parents hadn't had me snipped. Now, that is not to say I wouldn't have made the same decision, but I would have preferred to make the decision myself, as it is MY body, not theirs.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by dorkfish87

Parents raise there kids the best they know how. According to Judaic doctrine you can't go to heaven without this happening. So you explain to these little boys why they won't be in heaven when they die.

Are you stating that, in order to get into heaven, circumcision must take place? If that is the case, why not be born already 'snipped' thus eliminating such controversies?

I may have misunderstood you, so I am asking for clarification.

Thanks.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   

And this proves again how illogical religions are. God makes you perfect, but yet you have to MUTILATE your body to get accepted into heaven?? How does that make sense?? And I guess it is only Christians in USA that goes to heaven then, since there is no such practice here in EU among Christians. Here it is only the the jewish that still practice this barbaric tradition.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
This is like the 3rd post i seen with same topic..

This was my reply..

Girls are influenced by peers and whatnot without knowing the reason. They just assume, "eww uncircumcised is nasty" just cause her friend told her that. In fact, uncircumcised ones retain more feelings due to multiple nerve endings in the foreskin(you would know if you had it lol). It also protects against some disease that might be related to urethra. Also when someone is circumcised, these slowly loose some feeling because of the sensitive bump like skin around the head keep rubbing on underwear/cloths.

Im glad to be uncircumcised, what nature intended. You can shove religious mutilation up their ass lol Also, uncircumcised guys know what else foreskins can be used for !

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join