It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Historic handshake in Belfast

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Historic handshake in Belfast

warincontext.org

Anglo-Irish relations took a momentous step forward on Wednesday when the Queen shook hands with Sinn Féin’s Martin McGuinness.

The historic encounter between the former IRA commander – now Northern Ireland’s deputy first minister – and the Queen was unthinkable a little over 10 years ago.

But the success of the peace process and the Queen’s acclaimed visit to the Republic of Ireland last year, when her conciliatory words and gestures won over many critics of the monarchy, paved the way for th
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www .telegraph.co.uk
www.guardian.co.uk
www.bbc.co.uk
www.nytimes.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Queen To Meet Sinn Fein's Martin McGuinness I.R.A.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
What will the Real Irish Republican Army(RIRA) make of this? I would not be surprised if there is now an attempt on McGuinnesses life as a result of this.

This was such a big deal because the Queen and the Royal family historically represent the domination of Ireland by England and direct rule for 700 years from the 12th century onwards.

The IRA also killed a member of this current generation of the Royals, Lord Mountbatten, in the 1970s.

warincontext.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Peruvianmonk

Here is the handshake.

I watched a BBC report on it where they interviewed locals on the street and there was not one word uttered against it. Clearly there would be a lot of resentment against this so the BBC really should have been even-handed (as is its mantra) in allowing this view to be aired by the citizens of NI.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
A hopeful blog posting on the Observer about the visit, handshake and context.

On the occasion of the last royal jubilee, in 1977, republicans in Northern Ireland marked it with a "Queen of Death" march which ended, somewhat predictably, in violence and volleys of rubber bullets. In the years that followed there is evidence that the IRA knew the value of the royal family as a target: Lord Mountbatten, the Queen's cousin, was killed by a bomb on his boat off the coast of County Sligo and attacks were apparently planned against Prince Charles and Princess Diana.

There may be those who will regard the handshake as simple gesture politics on Mr McGuinness's part. That would be wrong. A poll by the Belfast Telegraph at Sinn Féin's annual meeting last month uncovered majority backing for a handshake – and near-unanimous support for Mr McGuinness to offer regret for the suffering caused by the IRA campaign. The simple clutching together of those hands on Wednesday – hopefully in public – cannot be overestimated in its symbolism and significance.

www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Does anyone remember the rumour that Martin McGuiness was a double agent?

The IRA has launched an internal investigation into the existence of an alleged MI6 agent codenamed 'J118', The Observer has learnt. Martin McGuinness, Sinn Fein's chief negotiator and former IRA commanding officer, has publicly denied he is the agent. The Mid Ulster MP was responding to allegations from former British Army intelligence officer Martin Ingram who claimed McGuinness was MI6's top asset inside the IRA. 'Regardless of the validity of this claim, it is IRA standard operating procedure to investigate,' a top republican source said this weekend.

www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I think it can only be a good thing, two people, one a former Terrorist and another a symbol of past Imperialism, sharing a handshake only shows how far Anglo Irish Relations have come, this would have been unthinkable 10 years ago. It shows that we can all move on if we keep talking a debating and not shooting or blowing eachother up. The past situation in Northern Ireland, was handled very badly, by all sides. There is obviously still a lot of healing to do, some people may never forgive, but they may learn to start to forget, if two people who represent the opposing sides to a centuries old arguement, can exchange pleasantries, without fear of criticism, then maybe there is hope for all of us.

Peace :-)

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by deessell

I did not know that dee, very interesting and thank you for bringing it to my attention. Why not really? It would not be new that a senior member of a terrorist/militant group would be turned by the enemy. Could be one of those open secrets known at the top-level ignored by the media on instruction.

Today McGuinness when asked, claimed he would always be a republican, he did seem pretty edgy though.

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   

pfffft IRA, masonic poo poo
controlled by americans
hence why the flags either have a sun or seven stars on them
would link IRA flags but cant be bothered

and i seriously doubt that a country such as ireland without nuclear weapons is every truely free
edit on 27-6-2012 by databomb because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Shminkee Pinkee

I think it can only be a good thing, two people, one a former Terrorist and another a symbol of past Imperialism, sharing a handshake only shows how far Anglo Irish Relations have come, this would have been unthinkable 10 years ago. It shows that we can all move on if we keep talking a debating and not shooting or blowing eachother up. The past situation in Northern Ireland, was handled very badly, by all sides. There is obviously still a lot of healing to do, some people may never forgive, but they may learn to start to forget, if two people who represent the opposing sides to a centuries old arguement, can exchange pleasantries, without fear of criticism, then maybe there is hope for all of us. Peace :-)

I agree, but I think it is important to understand that the conflict is not over. There are still many in N Ireland/S Ireland who wish to see a unified Ireland. I feel an opportunity for this too occur will still present itself at some point in the future.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Is it possible that the Queen thinks she might need the aid of Ireland to fight off an attack from Russia/China?

Seems like an odd time in history to be making this little gesture. Also I can't help wondering how it can be possible to have a little handshake between two people and all of a sudden you become best friends?

If all she needed to do was shake a hand why wait till now?

And, I might add, why the queen and not someone elected to Parliament?

What is the difference between the royals and the Bush's? If some rich a-hole wants to shake hands with some terrorist they have been fighting for centuries why does it matter? What binding does it have? Why should it even be news? Is there nothing else going on in the world to keep your attention than what the Queen did yesterday?

I know you all just dismiss this kind of Queen bashing or whatever you call it, but being American and seeing how the royals have f'd up everything they touch in order to make a buck I just can't see the logic in keeping them around at the detriment of all the hard working people who sacrifice so they can prosper.

You support your 1% like they are gods. Why not support yourself? Why not make a public statement from the people of UK that you love your neighbors and want to be friends? Because you don't like them. You never will. If you are both around in 700 years you will still harbor resentment for the past.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   

I agree, but I think it is important to understand that the conflict is not over. There are still many in N Ireland/S Ireland who wish to see a unified Ireland. I feel an opportunity for this too occur will still present itself at some point in the future.

Very true indeed :-)

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   

If you are interested in this aspect then you should read about the supergrass trial of Raymond Gilmore in the early 1980′s.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by onecraftydude

PM's have already gone through this ritual with IRA/Sinn Fein leaders. The Queen is our head of state so it makes sense for her to follow on this, in particular because of the royal history of being at the forefront of the English domination of Ireland.

I know you all just dismiss this kind of Queen bashing or whatever you call it, but being American and seeing how the royals have f'd up everything they touch in order to make a buck I just can't see the logic in keeping them around at the detriment of all the hard working people who sacrifice so they can prosper. You support your 1% like they are gods. Why not support yourself? Why not make a public statement from the people of UK that you love your neighbors and want to be friends? Because you don't like them. You never will. If you are both around in 700 years you will still harbor resentment for the past.

I am against the Queen and the whole hereditary claim to head of state in the UK, it is embarrassing.

I would say the Irish/English relationship citizenry relationship is pretty good, there is a bit of difference in values/religion etc but there is a lot of intermingling between the two.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   

A united Ireland is the game plan for ALL involved, but it`s got to be done in such a delicate way that we don`t return to the violence of the past. Everyone needs to save face, hence the handshakes and other friendly decorum. It will take decades but it will happen. Peacefully.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Is it possible that the Queen thinks she might need the aid of Ireland to fight off an attack from Russia/China?

The Queen does not make political decisions dude, she's a Ceremonial Head of State, with powers, but without the legal power to use them. Although she does have influence.

Seems like an odd time in history to be making this little gesture. Also I can't help wondering how it can be possible to have a little handshake between two people and all of a sudden you become best friends?

The handshake is far from little, it shows how far we've come, the timing is because it's her Jubilee year, considering she could not have done this even 10 years ago makes the timing perfect, it also coincides with last years visit to The Republic of Ireland, which was also pretty historic and symbolic, I'm no royalist, but I see the significance of these visits and what she represents.

If all she needed to do was shake a hand why wait till now?

answered above

The Queen 'doesn't do Politics' as it is often said, various British PMs have met for talks with Irish Republicans, and Irish Presidents and Prime Ministers in the past, this is normal Political goings on, however the Queen is Britain's Head of State and regarded by a some of people in the UK, especially Loyalist in Northern Ireland, as more important than an MP or PM, so it's a pretty symbolic gesture that someone who represents past British Imperialism in Ireland can come together with someone who represented the IRA

What is the difference between the royals and the Bush's? If some rich a-hole wants to shake hands with some terrorist they have been fighting for centuries why does it matter? What binding does it have? Why should it even be news? Is there nothing else going on in the world to keep your attention than what the Queen did yesterday?

I think its shows that there is hope for a real lasting peace in N. Ireland, even if there a few small factions who don't want it. It is a big deal for an Irish Republican to Shake hands with a British Monarch, a very big deal.

I know you all just dismiss this kind of Queen bashing or whatever you call it, but being American and seeing how the royals have f'd up everything they touch in order to make a buck I just can't see the logic in keeping them around at the detriment of all the hard working people who sacrifice so they can prosper.

I don't like the Royals much myself, infact I'm a British Republican, a dirty word in some circles this year, what with all the Union flag waving from the past the couple of months, but there I said it :-)

You support your 1% like they are gods. Why not support yourself? Why not make a public statement from the people of UK that you love your neighbors and want to be friends? Because you don't like them. You never will. If you are both around in 700 years you will still harbor resentment for the past.

The Irish are great i have no hatred toward them at all, the majority of people of Northern Ireland wanted to stay in the United Kingdom, rightly or wrongly, what ever your feelings on that are, there were failures in many ways, on all sides which led to the troubles, how ever since the peace process began we've come a long way and all sides are talking instead of shooting. the People of the UK did stand and say no more violence, Republican and Loyalist alike in Northern Ireland, making the Paramilitaries obsolete and irrelevant, for the most part, the Majority of People in the Republic of Ireland didn't want the violence either. Do not believe BBC propaganda when it comes to the Royals though, the BBC can't help themselves but fall over them with excited glee, whilst the Republic Campaign in The UK is small, there isn't the overwhelming support for the monarchy that people would have you believe, people are largely indifferent, of course Wills and Kate are popular, but I personally think it's because of the way our media treat them.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ranong

A united Ireland is the game plan for ALL involved, but it`s got to be done in such a delicate way that we don`t return to the violence of the past. Everyone needs to save face, hence the handshakes and other friendly decorum. It will take decades but it will happen. Peacefully.

Couldn't agree More

new topics

top topics

join