It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McCain National ID 'secretly' passed Senate on Friday

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Sen. John McCain's amendment 3807 to the 9/11 Commission bill S 2845 was quietly passed late Friday afternoon by "unanmous consent" after much of the Senate had already left for the weekend. This despite a promised debate on the amendment.

Call Sen. Collins' office and demand she open McCain's amendment 3807 for further amendments. The US Senate switchboard number is 202-224-3121 . Collins' number is (202) 224-2523. FAX is (202) 224-2693 .

The 9/11 police state bill S 2845 could pass as early as tonight. If not then, a final vote is expected tomorrow.

The version of 3807 passed is very similar to Title VI of the McCain Lieberman bill S 2774, with slight changes that may (or may not) hamper the ability of the Homeland Secretary to throw up checkpoints on highways. The process for standardizing state driver's licenses into a de facto National ID card is still in place; with additional provisions for a rulemaking process.

Full Story: www.libertythink.com...

This is really uncalled for to see a bill passed "after" much of the senate has left for the night. If the senate is going to pass a bill, they should do so during the work day when everybody is there. Regardless, I don't like the idea of a National ID card. I have my drivers liscense and I can use that wherever I go.

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Holy cow! This is just the precursor to an upcoming terrorist attack! There is no better way to roll out a sweeping new policy than with a terrorist attack....

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 09:18 AM
link   
it's disgusting IMO. reminds me of when the communists use to need papers to travel around their country!

thanks,
drfunk

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Very soon we will have numbers stamp on our forehead for identification or in our arm (like nazis did to the german jews) and our babies tag and implanted with microships, the land of the free indeed.

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Very soon we will have numbers stamp on our forehead for identification or in our arm (like nazis did to the german jews) and our babies tag and implanted with microships, the land of the free indeed.

Gosh, Marg. I hope it doesn't come to that. I'd rather live in freedom than in fear.

[edit on 6-10-2004 by mrmulder]

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by lockheed
Holy cow! This is just the precursor to an upcoming terrorist attack! There is no better way to roll out a sweeping new policy than with a terrorist attack....

Well, we all heard Cheney say last night that the threat of a terrorist with a nuke in the middle of a U.S. city is very real.

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by mrmulder
Sen. John McCain's amendment 3807 to the 9/11 Commission bill S 2845 was quietly passed late Friday afternoon by "unanmous consent" after much of the Senate had already left for the weekend. This despite a promised debate on the amendment.

Call Sen. Collins' office and demand she open McCain's amendment 3807 for further amendments [...]
This is really uncalled for to see a bill passed "after" much of the senate has left for the night.

I think they are saying that the ammendment was added to a bill that hasn't been passed no?

If the senate is going to pass a bill, they should do so during the work day when everybody is there.

If the Senate is in session and there is something to vote on, the senators should be there.

Having said any of that, I think a national id card is a terrible idea also.

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 10:55 AM
link   
*putting on my flack jacket and body armour*

I'm not too upset about this.... hell it's not that bad of an idea.

I think everyone should have this, keep track of AMERICAN CITIZENS.... let 's get everyone else OUT !

RR

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 10:55 AM
link   

The 9/11 police state bill S 2845 could pass as early as tonight. If not then, a final vote is expected tomorrow.

That is probably one of the scariest things I've ever read, if this is real then we are surely in for some rough times ahead.

[edit on 6-10-2004 by RR]

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by RR

That is probably one of the scariest things I've ever read, if this is real then we are surely in for some rough times ahead.

[edit on 6-10-2004 by RR]

Like what ? give me some examples of what you think is going to hapen that will be so bad about this ?

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 11:03 AM
link   
People does not understand that when our government implement actions like this, in the name of security is taking also parts of our civil rights, we are left with not choice and the result of one thing will led to another rule and at the end our liberties are littler by littler taken away.

[edit on 6-10-2004 by marg6043]

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I am totally against a national ID. We do not need this and we lose personal freedoms by this action. This reminds me of frogs being boiled in water. You start out with warm water and slowly turn up the heat until the frog is cooked. We are in that pot now with this issue.

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by jrsdls
I am totally against a national ID. We do not need this and we lose personal freedoms by this action. This reminds me of frogs being boiled in water. You start out with warm water and slowly turn up the heat until the frog is cooked. We are in that pot now with this issue.

I agree. Like I said before. I'd rather live in freedom than in fear. For the government to track my every move and keep tabs on everything I do, when I've never commited a crime or done anything to make me look like a suspect, that makes me feel very uncomfortable. It's almost as if the goverment suspects me already. That is wrong!

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 11:25 AM
link   
What exactly is everyone afraid of? First off 75% of you probably have GOVERNMENT ISSUED driver's licenses. Second, more than half of you probably have GOVERNMENT ISSUED passports.

I understand if people would be upset about the government planting a GPS transmitter in your rear end to track where you're going, but a National ID card?

Someone PLEASE explain the problem to me without using terms like "They're spying on me, the man is trying to take away our freedom, or We're being watched."

I want to know very simply what the problem is with carrying a national ID card.

Side note: Drive without a license and you get a ticket, fly internationally without a passport and you don't fly. Don't make it like IDs have NEVER before been required to do things.

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I love watching people fly into hysterics with their conspiracy theories...

"OMG!!! National ID cards...we're doomed!"

If you enjoy your freedoms so much, then stop looking for conspiracies on the internet and go outside and spend sometime with your friends and families. Life is way too short to spend it all looking for goblins in the closet. I just wish I didn't have to resort to reading this site to get a good laugh while stuck at work trying to protect some of the nuts on here.

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I already have a military ID I don't need another one, and what is good for anyway, are we going to be force to have it at all times like identification papers? so we can travel from one place to another, and beside are we going to still have to carry our licenses or is going to take over all that.

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Djarums
First off 75% of you probably have GOVERNMENT ISSUED driver's licenses. Second, more than half of you probably have GOVERNMENT ISSUED passports.

I don't care. I think the government has done enough.

I want to know very simply what the problem is with carrying a national ID card.

Because I have already have an ID card. My drivers license. That makes a national ID useless in my opinion. Besides, it's not what this country was founded on.

Side note: Drive without a license and you get a ticket

How is that concept any different if you're not carrying a national ID card?

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
Like what ? give me some examples of what you think is going to hapen that will be so bad about this ?

Plus, they'll be helpful to use as name tags when we're all wearing the same orange jumpsuit.

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 12:19 PM
link   
So this country was founded on the idea of not having a ID card? nice one

What are you afraid of? This could led to possibilities of having your entire medical history on a chip on your ID card. You are in an accidnet and they now what you are allergic to or if you had a heart attack recently,etc? YOU could add maybe add a chip for financial transactions? Can you not look to the furture and the good that could come from it. We are not even securing our own borders, so what makes you think next year you will have show papers like in Russia.

Like one poster said, go outside and read a book, somethin like the Davinci Code
, and try to keep an open mind that it is fiction, not fact.....

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by esdad71
So this country was founded on the idea of not having a ID card?

I didn't say that. I mean this country was not founded on having more government control over the people.

YOU could add maybe add a chip for financial transactions?

I don't wish to be turned into some half robot.

Can you not look to the furture and the good that could come from it.

I look at the good and the bad but considering I don't trust this corrupt government, I'd rather leave the technology part up to the "technology" companies instead of the government.

Like one poster said, go outside and read a book, somethin like the Davinci Code
, and try to keep an open mind that it is fiction, not fact.....

Thank you for the insight. I do try to keep in open mind.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join