It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obese Americans to be forced into counseling?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by trollz

I've also noticed stupid people. Really, really stupid people.

Now, the world would be a better place if they weren''t so damned stupid.

So why not FORCE them to get an education?

Oh yeah.
Because if we did that, it'd be draconian, police-state nonsense.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by mainidh
reply to post by trollz

Forcing people to do anything usually results in failure.

People who WANT help will seek it. People who do not, will not suddenly accept the responsibility, and certainly will baulk at forced counseling.

Would you also advocate forced counseling for smokers? drinkers? sky divers?

I don't like that world...

It doesnt always result in failure. I mean counseling is the most non confrontational way to address obesity. With smoking there was basically an all out war against it these past maybe like 6 years. You cant smoke in a lot of places now, even outside, and being a smoker is no longer sexy. The majority of people look down it and people who do it. There are also free counseling centers smokers trying to quit can call for support. The campaign against smoking was very successful. Made life harder for smokers and made quitting look like a good option. Under the same banner of getting people to be healthier.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Bet ya 100 bucks those chicks are Obama supporters,,they look just like Obama supporters...

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Standard rule of thumb, very small number of people overeat, eat the wrong kind of foods and can't take supplements due to the PTB destroying our food and world, yeah. But nearly ALL weight problems are conditions.

In reality if you live in a family where 3 are overweight and 5 very very thin, you understand that the ones who are thin are eating the family out of house and home and have very fast metabolisms. The ones who are overweight eat 1 meal a day (on average) and nibble and don't lose weight.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
This country is in an obesity epidemic and they are trying to find a solution. I don't think counseling will help the majority, only those who have emotional eating issues. (Bingeing/purging is an emotional issue)

What I do blame are the fast food restaurants that monopolize every corner on the streets and pester us with tv commercials. Seriously, have you ever driven by a fast food restaurant during the lunch or dinner hours and not seen it totally packed with cars? (The drive through?) Restaurant food is big enough for three servings which encourages us to eat more and that's a big problem, too. And just now learning McDonalds fries has sugar in it? Geez...

I no longer eat fast food, as my stomach hurts after every meal. I've never been overweight but I have been lazy, watching tv when I could be outside walking or getting some other form of exercise, eating microwave dinners instead of fresh, home prepared food. I decided to change this, making mediterranean salads, cutting out soda intake, canceling Netflix, etc...I started moving, walking, joining a gym and even changed my job (the unhappiness made me eat more)

It's a choice, you do have to want to do it. But there are heavy people out there who are fit,too, so I think this idea of counseling is a total crock.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I will repeat this. In my family, the underweight eat far more than the overweight. Ie. my son is 6 2, and very thin at 150 lbs, and yet he can eat anything in sight, including fast foods if we ever bought those, which we don't, and never gain more than 5 lbs, and stil be very thin. And I can't afford to buy him all the extra whey powders and the massive lbs of food as snacks to build him up. He is like his grandfather who was 6 2, and would vary between 150-170, and only looked lean and good at 170. He could eat 3 meals a day, tons of protein and all the goodies in sight, and never gain weight.

The ones who struggle with weight eat very small meals at a time. 1 meal a day, and yogurt, nibbles of cheese, fruit, and do not lose weight. They live on vitamin supplements.

So its not what people think. It has to do with metabolism and also income on what you could buy for food, to some extent. Also relates to age and child birth, for those overweight ones were slim till mid age themselves.

What really pi$$es me off on threads like this, is:

the nazi sadistic controllers know all of this and are relying on ignorance and ego of the masses to give them victims and sacrificial lambs and they can take a flying leap out of here.
edit on 27-6-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I don't see why there is such a problem letting people behave how they want.

Imagine the US today, had it never, ever, ever catered to one person. Just imagine it.

You wanna kill yourself with Fritos? Be my guest. I'll even discount the bag for ya. But you won't catch me stuffing that GMO corn down my pie-hole. I'll let the stupid folks manage that.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
I will repeat this. In my family, the underweight eat far more than the overweight. Ie. my son is 6 2, and very thin at 150 lbs, and yet he can eat anything in sight, including fast foods if we ever bought those, which we don't, and never gain more than 5 lbs, and stil be very thin. And I can't afford to buy him all the extra whey powders and the massive lbs of food as snacks to build him up. He is like his grandfather who was 6 2, and would vary between 150-170, and only looked lean and good at 170. He could eat 3 meals a day, tons of protein and all the goodies in sight, and never gain weight.

The ones who struggle with weight eat very small meals at a time. 1 meal a day, and yogurt, nibbles of cheese, fruit, and do not lose weight. They live on vitamin supplements.

So its not what people think. It has to do with metabolism and also income on what you could buy for food, to some extent. Also relates to age and child birth, for those overweight ones were slim till mid age themselves.

What really pi$$es me off on threads like this, is:

the nazi sadistic controllers know all of this and are relying on ignorance and ego of the masses to give them victims and sacrificial lambs and they can take a flying leap out of here.
edit on 27-6-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

Yeah, my family doesn't have a weight problem, at least not yet. Genetics, metabolism, etc...does play a big role. But I also think being in shape is important instead of just being thin.

The people in poverty eat at fast food restaurants because it's cheaper and they can feed more of their kids that way. I just think fast food restaurants are adding to the problem, I mean, does anyone really know what's in the burgers? They could find a way to make their food healthier. I'm not talking the salads because even those pack a whopping amount of calories! Also, these restaurants are convenient to those who don't feel like cooking half the time.

We have a Sprouts farmers market that has incredibly cheap prices on fruits and vegetables (50cents for a red pepper instead of 2.99 at a grocery store!) so it is possible to eat better without it taking a big chunk out of your budget.

If you're overweight and watch what you eat but don't exercise then get moving. You will at least FEEL better and get a bit healthier.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join