Obese Americans to be forced into counseling?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 02:34 AM
link   

"Obesity is a very serious health problem in the United States, and in the past 30 years, obesity rates have dramatically increased,"...

...According to a report compiled earlier this year by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 42 percent of the US population will be obese within the next two decades...

...a federal panel is pushing to force overweight Americans into counseling.

Link

I agree that obesity is a huge issue (no pun intended) here in the US. I mean the statistics alone should be alarming enough... Nearly half of the country obese? Not just overweight, but clinically obese. Something is very, very wrong, that much is undeniable... But what is up for discussion is whether or not people who are considered obese should be made to have counseling to combat their obesity. I believe this could be a great thing, however I am sure many will oppose it. But please, tell me, what could possible be bad about obese people losing weight and becoming healthier, drastically improving their lives? Who, with a healthy mind, decides that they want to be clinically obese and derives some kind of pleasure or happiness from it?

There are so many people who want to lose weight. Let's help them help themselves.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 02:43 AM
link   
People need to change how they think about food in order for any diet plan to stick.

What I've noticed that's worked is watching documentaries like-
The World According To Monsanto
Food Inc.
Super Size Me
The Future Of Food

I could list many, not all are for everyone. Here's a decent list:
www.organicauthority.com...

I've helped friends lose over 120lbs in 6 months, no exercise, no dieting, just changing the way they thought about the foods they were eating.

INGREDIENTS. That's all you should pay attention to on the labels. Period.
If you don't know what an ingredient is, look it up, know what you're eating, if not, then don't complain about being fat. Sorry but low metabolism and gland problems are only a small percentage of obesity, most of it is caused by ignorance and laziness.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Those who are pushing this, need to seek counseling to butt out of people's lives.

Obesity is not just from food, could be hereditary, could be a thyroid problem and they probably do not have the money to take care of it.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater
Those who are pushing this, need to seek counseling to butt out of people's lives.

Obesity is not just from food, could be hereditary, could be a thyroid problem and they probably do not have the money to take care of it.

I understand that sometimes there are health problems that cause obesity, but I am talking about cases where it is due to diet or plain lack of physical activity. Sometimes people do need help, especially concerning food and diet information as JibbyJedi mentioned. Sometimes all people need is a push in the right direction, rather than trying to be content with your worsening physical condition.

As an edit, the vast majority of obesity is due to poor diet and lack of exercise, so your thyroid excuse doesn't work here.
edit on 27-6-2012 by trollz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater

Most of the time the thyroid problem is persistent due to the foods repeatedly being consumed.
I've watched people on thyroid meds lose over 100lbs and get off the meds permanently just by changing to mostly organic/all natural foods. Didn't change portions so much, just changed types of foods.

If the foods you eat are mostly "not food" but junk and preservatives,then the body will remain hungry and need more food. If you eat real food, your body isn't hungry all the time.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 02:51 AM
link   
So then to be fair ,the people with eating disorders,
should be forced to seek brainwashing too,
and how about vegans,people who eat meat.
where does it end ? Just another way to control people.
little by little they will control every aspect of our lives.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 02:53 AM
link   
Oh yeah, so like you're fat and you have NO idea you are fat. Just none - no really.

And what? You go to the doctor so they an put their noceibo curse on you and tell you some LIES

"Mr. Anderson you are moridly obese and unless you lose weight you are going to DIE, and before you DIE your joints are going to hurt, and you are going to get a fatty liver and heart disease and cancer and cost tax payers billions of dollars personally, and your kids will have to pay the bill and bury you when you are 40."

So then their voodoo works and you die, and all the skinny people what? Live to 110 and before they can be put in a nursing home they lose their homes, bank accounts and any other assets because NO ONE wants to diaper grandpa for 30 years of their lives...and then Jr. will be nice and skinny and can join their army real easy like and go die in Syria, and good thing really, cause he has no future and his inheritance is gone. Probably be better than wiping skinny old man butt for decades.

It's ALL based on JUNK science. They believe their own crap. If anyone can PREDICT someone else's future and say for certain xyz will happen in 10 years time, then go for it. An educated guess is not always that educated and may do more harm than good.
edit on 27-6-2012 by hadriana because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by hadriana

So then their voodoo works and you die, and all the skinny people what? Live to 110 and before they can be put in a nursing home they lose their homes, bank accounts and any other assets because NO ONE wants to diaper grandpa for 30 years of their lives...and then Jr. will be nice and skinny and can join their army real easy like and go die in Syria, and good thing really, cause he has no future and his inheritance is gone. Probably be better than wiping skinny old man butt for decades.

Stop being too smart for your own good.

Let them take all your life's assets because you will need permanent health care once the Fritos and whole milk in plastics rewrites your DNA into cancer cells. Don't be a smart mouth!

I've helped retarded people lose weight, it's possible without counseling and voodoo. All it takes is more than 30 seconds of an attention span, and somewhat of a sense of self respect and concern.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 02:59 AM
link   
How are they going to force them? With crow bars? *boom tish*

Yeah, well, I have seen obese people that are actually fitter than skinny people. Weight can impact on your health if you live a life of sloth (*coughs*) but so can being a skinny rake. I know skinny people, and they couldn't take the stairs without wheezing. I'm over weight for my height, but I can still out perform many people who also live like being skinny makes them fit.

And 90% of my weight is from le plonk. I eat healthy, all my blood tests come back good, liver is crying as I type but the rest of me seems to still keep ticking.

The day they say Im unfit for something, or they try to force me to counseling, is the day I'll eat that skinny person and pick my teeth with their bones.

If it's about health and the betterment of society, better look at the vices that put you in the grave before you look at me for my gravy.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by BrainGarden
where does it end ?

Soylent green.

Now in extra chunky! *do not exceed more than 4 fat people per day as calorie intake may cause obesity*

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
I've helped retarded people lose weight

This has got to be the funniest thing I've ever read on ATS. It's so wrong on so many levels. I can't, stop, laughing.

No offense to Jibby, retarded people or people that are trying to lose weight, it's just really funny how you put it.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by mainidh

Yes, and this kind of counseling would hopefully encourage people to exercise and eat healthier. All around, all that would happen would be that people would be a little healthier or at least have the knowledge of how to be.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by trollz
reply to post by mainidh

Yes, and this kind of counseling would hopefully encourage people to exercise and eat healthier. All around, all that would happen would be that people would be a little healthier or at least have the knowledge of how to be.

Didn't you get the memo?

People are only as fat as you allow them to be.

Connect the dots, smarty pants

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 03:12 AM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

I don't think it's the fat people complaining about being ft in here, it's the PTB saying they will force fatties into counseling.

You're dead right, it's about knowing what you're eating. And while I disagree with the supersize me doco to an extent, I did see a mcdonalds sponsored doco where they actually admit that french fries are coated in sugar before being fried. Not for flavour mind, but to make sure they obtain that crisp golden colour.

Now I don't know about the french... but when I make chips, they turn out crunchy golden and in a proper size, without the sugar coating. Then again I don't eat fried foods a lot. On the odd occasion I'll eat chips, but they're either grilled or oven baked. I've not deep fried anything in near 15 years I think.

And portion. That's where most people fail. Hunger is a desire. Being full is not. Satiate the hunger without becoming full. Often people who are hungry will devour a large meal... when they don't need to.

The way we eat is also a large problem. I never eat breakfast. I can't eat before midday most days. But I should. I also try to eat small snacks during the day, so I never get that full on hunger. Again, I often find myself unable to do this.

A lot of cereal is full of salt and sugar. People think of mueslibars are a nutritious snack.. they're glued together with butter and sugars.

I make my own muesli too, plain rolled oats, bran, fruit and if I'm able to afford them in sufficient quantities, goji berries.

It's just cheap = easy = over indulgence = obesity.

If people had to make their own maccas or HJ's or dominos or pizza hut or KFC, people would find it a far less appealing food. Takes time to make your own pizza. I do maybe twice a year.

then again we are living in a consumer demand society. You want it, someone's got it.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 03:14 AM
link   

NO one is going to live forever.
Let people worry about themselves.
Who says your idea of self concern is MY idea of self concern?

I am so glad you have helped people to lose weight THAT wanted to. People have to want to.

But as for the money and the pain and suffering - this is just my experience - but fat people do die younger and quite often quicker. My mom up and died when she was 64. She wasn't fat, a bit maybe, but not fat. Never exercised at all.

My dad - total health nut. Himself first. Worked out 3 times a week without fail. Ran nearly every day - was a marathon runner until he got terrible arthritis in his hips and knees from it.

Spent his life eating steamed veggies and baked chicken. Honey please, no sugar. Got an arrhthmia at 67. He's been in the hospital nearly ALL the TIME since that time with something - the heart, cellulitis, cancer in his eyeball, I dunno, long list.

If you just look at medical bills - oh boy, if that is the issue, my slightly fat died young ma didn't cost much at all. She went down and died, nice and quick, exit stage left.

We're ALL gonna DIE. Bein' skinny isn't a gaurentee - it's just an odds game and you are playing the odds wrong if you are fat. BUT IT IS just odds.

All this...it isn't about health, cause no one cares about fat people much - they really don't. Look at the stats- docs don't like to take care of em. Society shuns them. Calls em names. It ain't about their health.

This is a lot of propaganda and it's about having kids fit for the armies, and keeping down medical cost for insurance companies (they think, jokes on them, IMO), or finding a way to squeeze money out of medicare medicaid for this COUNSELING - and the big one...taxes. Let's find a way to add a tax to something A LOT of people like....SUGAR! SODA!

Oh yeah - nearly every restaurant in the COUNTRY serves SODA, let's go after THAT.

MONEY MONEY MONEY
Don't even pretend that this is about caring for folks.

IF YOU cared about your friends and helped - that's how it needs to be done.
Govt don't give a flying flip about you. People still believe that? Do they think their local reps even know their names? And if the medical field CARED - there wouldn't be all the stats from surveys saying how much they detested caring for fat people.

...and I don't think it's a good thing to keep telling a group that they are definitely going to die, or insinuating that maybe if you watch your weight and you are GOOD, you won't!

Because NO one knows that for sure for anyone. My dad is still puzzled over why he has heart problems. He will say "but I always took care of myself. I always ran..." and my friend's husband is the perfect weight and has diabetes, and he is SO mad. There is REALLY no rules that say x=y. It is all odds.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 03:15 AM
link   
reply to post by trollz

Forcing people to do anything usually results in failure.

People who WANT help will seek it. People who do not, will not suddenly accept the responsibility, and certainly will baulk at forced counseling.

Would you also advocate forced counseling for smokers? drinkers? sky divers?

I don't like that world...

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Isn't this to be expected if the government is going to be 100% responsible for people's Health Care? Then they are going to butt in to every aspect of it!

If the government really cared about people's health,they wouldn't allow frankenfoods in the first place,or fluoride in the water,or vaccines,or chemtrails,...

Individual responsibility is best,with informed decisions.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by litterbaux

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
I've helped retarded people lose weight

This has got to be the funniest thing I've ever read on ATS. It's so wrong on so many levels. I can't, stop, laughing.

No offense to Jibby, retarded people or people that are trying to lose weight, it's just really funny how you put it.

Seriously, I was serious. I'm not too PC, I've worked with "mentally challenged" people, and I've helped "retarded" people. One group can't help their condition, the other group can.

Mentally challenged people are more susceptible to "help" and assistance to better themselves.
Retarded people keep doing the same things over & over & expect things to change.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 03:23 AM
link   

If that's the case, why bother posting on ATS?

Divine challenge?

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 03:29 AM
link   
reply to post by hadriana

I am truly sorry for your losses. My parents died prematurely and that's part of why I'm here.

No one is looking out for us, as in a benevolent gov't of FDA, all we have is ourselves.
I help everyone I meet, if they "want" any help. Force feeding diet advice if futile and usually leads to worsening their desire to diet.

It is a crap shoot as far as skinny vs fat dying young/old. I think it comes down to DNA encoding.

Some of these combos of foods we eat activate/deactivate DNA encoding in our cell reproduction, that is a big deal. All we can do is limit the chaotic DNA rewriting via the foods we eat.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join