N-Acetyl Cysteine for Hangovers, Liver Protection for Heavy Drinkers and Depression

page: 1

join

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
While doing a little research on the amino acid N-AC I discovered some health benefits I think heavy drinkers would appreciate. N-AC prevents hangovers and helps protect the liver from the damage drinking causes. The good news is N-AC is available in supplement form and it is inexpensive.

At the end of the day, dealing with a hangover and protecting the liver from the ravages of alcohol comes down to chemical actions and reactions in the body; a molecular game played by the rules of biology.

One of the pieces in the game is N-acetyl cysteine (NAC), a more easily absorbed metabolite of the amino acid cysteine. It is indispensible in the liver’s ability to break down the toxin acetaldehyde, a byproduct of alcohol metabolism.

Please read the article if you are an chronic drinker. Should you take the supplement on a daily basis be aware that it removes heavy metals from your system and you should also take copper and zinc supplements to replace what it has depleted.

thehealthydrinker.com...

Another article that lists the many maladies that N-AC can help:

www.webmd.com... E

I am taking it for bipolar depression along with another amino acid 5HTP (Tryptophan) and have been able to ditch my anti-depressant. I advise you to talk to your doctor before making changes. If you have unipolar depression (not bi-polar) please research it. There are articles out there on using N-AC for regular depression, I just have not read them.

www.livestrong.com...

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Not too be a downer, but what you're saying is that you've found a substance that treats a symptom rather than the underlying condition. Sounds familiar...

Actually the other uses seem more beneficial. I just hate seeing drug companies treating symptoms rather than trying to cure things, at least things that could possibly be cured.

edit on 26-6-2012 by AwakeinNM because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   
That's partly why it's advised to eat eggs to cure hangovers. Supplements aren't always necessary if you get the nutrients in your diet.

Good thinking though.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by AwakeinNM

This is no cure for alcoholism, but it helps prevent the damage to the liver from heavy drinking.

N-acetyl cysteine is also used for preventing alcoholic liver damage

www.webmd.com...

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by sad_eyed_lady

Exactly. It's also used in paracetamol overdose (tylenol) which is the most disgusting putrid man made drug ever created. It's literally lethal by the packet. ld50 of paracetamol is 800mg/kg and anything around or over 4grams can cause liver trauma.

A packet of 24 contains 12 grams.

Most people with a hangover will take a bunch to get rid of the headache, which basically raises the level of danger enormously. Your liver is already stressed from dealing with the alcohol, it has no time to deal with the paracetamol, and I'm surprised I have never developed jaundice -- though I've done a lot worse.

This derivative of cystene is simply something that helps the liver out when it cannot do it's job properly. At least that is the idea.

No one said it's a cure for alcoholism. But then, a crutch is not a cure for a broken leg, or an air bag a prevention for car accidents.

Another good liver helper is Taurine. And no it is not a stimulant, it is a calmative, often found in energy drinks to offset the amount of caffeine in them - preventing the jitters but allowing you the energy buzz.

new topics

join