It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alien Rock and Roll?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Am i right in thinking than when we sent the monolith into space it contained the word "hello" in every single launguage spoken on earth as well as star charts and our position in our know universe-didnt we also include a piece of music?

If you had to send a piece of music off for alien ears to hear what would it be and why?

regards.

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Ha! That's a funny question. We should probably send a song by one of their own. Maybe Thriller, or Billie Jean
Perhaps we sould send this photo as well to show them that one of their shape shifters even made it big here.

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by optimus fett
Am i right in thinking than when we sent the monolith into space

We didn't send a monolith into space. In fact, we don't have the technology to send a monolith much of anywhere (except by train or ship.) The "monolith in space" is a movie (two, actually) and a science fiction book and although I like Clarke it is complete fiction and there is NO truth to it at all.

it contained the word "hello" in every single launguage spoken on earth

It's called the "Golden record" and there's greetings in 55 of the major languages. There's far more than 55 languages on Earth.
voyager.jpl.nasa.gov...

as well as star charts and our position in our know universe

That would be rather difficult to do... because in order to have a "known position" you have to know where something else is. And in a universe that's 15 billion light years across, our galaxy is a completely insignificant dot and unseeable in a lot of places... and our arm of the galaxy/sun would be totally invisible.

didnt we also include a piece of music?

More FAQs:
voyager.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 08:33 AM
link   

We didn't send a monolith into space. In fact, we don't have the technology to send a monolith much of anywhere (except by train or ship.) The "monolith in space" is a movie (two, actually) and a science fiction book and although I like Clarke it is complete fiction and there is NO truth to it at all.

ok then,so hypothetically speaking.

We do have the technology to send a monolith into space,if we can send a space ship up there then we can easily launch any object we want in any direction-its just if we want to incour the cost.

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 10:42 AM
link   
The Voyager probes you are speaking of do contain maps that show our sun in relation to several known Pulsars. It also shows our planet's position in the solar system. The link provided sows pics of the discs.

Voyager disc pics

[edit on 6-10-2004 by Der Kapitan]

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd

That would be rather difficult to do... because in order to have a "known position" you have to know where something else is. And in a universe that's 15 billion light years across, our galaxy is a completely insignificant dot and unseeable in a lot of places... and our arm of the galaxy/sun would be totally invisible.

IIRC, they made a visual diagram of Sol's position relative to several large pulsars/quasars. With luck, the recipients could 'triangulate' our position.

EDIT: sorry, missed your post

[edit on 10-6-2004 by Esoterica]

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 10:58 AM
link   
what music would I send.. hmmm good question !

Ravel's - Bolero !!

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
what music would I send.. hmmm good question !

Ravel's - Bolero !!

I would send Doom 2 Oldskool Demon (OC remix), but maybe that's just me.

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I hope to god we included one of these:

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Definately NO 90's or 00's music should be shot into space. Probably the best choice would be a selection of classical music with some Bach, Chopin, etc. The complexity of the music would send a much better message than say Iron Maiden or Brittney Spears.

Does anyone know if its possible to obtain a recording of the musical selections on the Golden Record as I would be very interested in hearing what exactly is on it.

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 03:17 PM
link   
In this page, they say that the music was "from Louis Armstrong and His Hot Seven to Melanesian panpipes, and from a Navajo night chant to a Beethoven symphony.".

Also, as both Voyagers were launched in the 70s, I do not think they could put 90s music on the disc.

In that page you also have links to some of the sounds and to the pictures sent.

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Its pretty funny the image and sounds of mankind we sent on the Voyagers were really only a ideal version of humans. We really only showed humans as these peace loving creatures that all got along with each other

We didnt show a single image of war or fighting. So I dont think we portrayed a correct image of mankind. If someone finds that and comes to earth there going to think they found the wrong planet.

For a music choice I would send some CCR

new topics

top topics

join