It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Logic can not exist without Emotion, but Emotion can exist without Logic...

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by PurpleChiten

Yeah I took enough logic and philosophy classes in college to bore even Mr. Spock. Afterall, the title did include Vulcans; an imaginary race of people living in the beta quadrant of the Milky Way Galaxy.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleChiten
reply to post by Cosmic911

Keep in mind that your source is a blog, not a news source or science journal. It is the opinion of one person based on a study that wasn't linked to, only summarized in their opinion

This is the "about page" that goes with the site that was linked: www.dailygalaxy.com...

Right.

I'm not getting this debate.

Has anyone even established what emotions are?

Let's take Fear. Fear is apparently a learned - but internal natural mechanism to protect living things from harm and extinction.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic911

Yeah I took enough logic and philosophy classes in college to bore even Mr. Spock. Afterall, the title did include Vulcans; an imaginary race of people living in the beta quadrant of the Milky Way Galaxy.

LOL ...and... ya GOTTA love Star Trek!!

I do have to stick with my guns though. Logic isn't dependent on emotion and emotion is definitely not dependent on logic! They are two very different concepts that sometimes intertwine in certain situations yet have nothing to do with one another.

Mine were Logic and Set Theory with Mathematics and Physics ... the "real" sciences! ::ducking and running as you throw your philosophy books at me:: ...they aren't much for science, but they make good projectiles!

j/k around with ya, not being mean

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

I think therefore I am...therefore I'm assuming the link I provided, which included an imaginary race of humanoids who reject emotions and embrace logic..did I mention this all takes place on a starship with warp speed?
I hope people have enough sense to laugh

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Keep in mind that your source is a blog, not a news source or science journal. It is the opinion of one person based on a study that wasn't linked to, only summarized in their opinion

This is the "about page" that goes with the site that was linked: www.dailygalaxy.com...

Right.

Let's take Fear. Fear is apparently a learned - but internal natural mechanism to protect living things from harm and extinction.

Perhaps a good way to state it is: Logic is an action, emotion is a reaction... sometimes the reaction is to logic, sometimes the reaction is to other stimuli, but logic is never dependent on emotion

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

To agree to disagree is to agree - in a civilized manner - to hold opposite viewpoints on a subject. In other words, to disagree with each other in a fundamental way, without condescension or acquiescence. Doing so shows respect to the rare individual taking time to discuss and consider our ideas and opinions...
edit on 6/27/2012 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

I think therefore I am...therefore I'm assuming the link I provided, which included an imaginary race of humanoids who reject emotions and embrace logic..did I mention this all takes place on a starship with warp speed?

Yeah, but that time machine I stole off beezer let me jump forward in time, write it all down, then jump back in time, give it to Gene Rodenberry and he wrote a tv show about it!!

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   

It's all good. This is an entertainment site. People who get bent out of shape over what people post on here...well, that's illogical

Live long and prosper Purple!

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   

That was a lot of work my friend! Lol. But seriously, I did enjoy my logic classes and some philosophy classes. I took one class called Mind and Machine. It dealt with issues like artificial intelligence, among other things. It was interesting to say the least. I really enjoyed it.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   

It's all good. This is an entertainment site. People who get bent out of shape over what people post on here...well, that's illogical

Live long and prosper Purple!

Agreed!

Boldly go Cosmic!

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   

That was a lot of work my friend! Lol. But seriously, I did enjoy my logic classes and some philosophy classes. I took one class called Mind and Machine. It dealt with issues like artificial intelligence, among other things. It was interesting to say the least. I really enjoyed it.

It does sound very enjoyable. I took a couple of philosophy classes many years ago, but preferred my Math classes. Even though the philosophy classes had good examples of use of logic, they centered too much on historical occurances and theories of individuals and it just didn't appeal to me as much.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

Hey! I parked myself straight in front of the TV - with snack tray - - - and warned everyone in the house - - "keep mouth shut and do not disturb" till this show ends.

For the very first episode of Star Trek

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

Hey! I parked myself straight in front of the TV - with snack tray - - - and warned everyone in the house - - "keep mouth shut and do not disturb" till this show ends.

Your first episode or THE first episode?

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

The very first episode.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

The very first episode.

AWESOME! I'm jealous!!

ETA: That's my emotional response to a logical situation... just to stay on topic

edit on 27-6-2012 by PurpleChiten because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Right.

Perhaps a good way to state it is: Logic is an action, emotion is a reaction... sometimes the reaction is to logic, sometimes the reaction is to other stimuli, but logic is never dependent on emotion

This is pretty eloquently put. I used to work in neurosciences, specifically with TBI, or traumatic brain injured patients. When the brain sustains an injury, many times it will revert to its basic and primal emotions. This compares similarly to what you're saying about emotion being a reaction. The brain reverts to these basic emotions as a reaction to the injury, including the primary or physical trauma, followed by complex and/or chemical-mediated and secondary injuries. People cry, get frustrated, angry, even sexual throughout their injury. They never behave rationally or logically. Wouldn't that be nice for a change lol.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   

This is pretty eloquently put. I used to work in neurosciences, specifically with TBI, or traumatic brain injured patients. When the brain sustains an injury, many times it will revert to its basic and primal emotions. This compares similarly to what you're saying about emotion being a reaction. The brain reverts to these basic emotions as a reaction to the injury, including the primary or physical trauma, followed by complex and/or chemical-mediated and secondary injuries. People cry, get frustrated, angry, even sexual throughout their injury. They never behave rationally or logically. Wouldn't that be nice for a change lol.

Wow, that's actually very interesting! It would definitely lend credance to logic and emotion being very indpendent as well. I can't imagine the frustration that would be involved in something like that

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   

The brain reverts to these basic emotions as a reaction to the injury, including the primary or physical trauma, followed by complex and/or chemical-mediated and secondary injuries. People cry, get frustrated, angry, even sexual throughout their injury. They never behave rationally or logically. Wouldn't that be nice for a change lol.

That's kind of my point. What is emotion? Is emotion really a choice? Or the body reacting spontaneously?

Is Logic a choice? There must be parts of the brain Logic "lives".

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
I do believe it's virtually impossible for us humans to ever know pure logic. Emotions are so embedded in our mind that it's inseparable. I do not think we can conclude much at all.

Until we can sample the rest of the universe and see what else is out there, we cannot really comment. My guess is that emotion is extremely common, if not everywhere. But what if? What if we find races of purely logical beings that have no emotions at all? Impossible, probably. But still something we must ask because we've only landed on the moon and sampled one other planet for life.
edit on 27-6-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by jonnywhite

It is a mistake to equate pure logic with pure objectivity. Even with a limited understanding of the cosmos we can still use pure logic as a tool. It is difficult to master our emotions, but not impossible.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join