It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A third of Earthlings believe in UFOs, would befriend aliens

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
www.usatoday.com...

Aliens often compete with superheroes, vampires and zombies to top hit movie lists — but more than a third of Americans say UFOs are not a fantasy.

That's the word from a new National Geographic Channel study finding that 80 million Americans are certain UFOs exist and that one in 10 believe they've spotted one.

The results are in: Seventeen percent of Americans don't believe UFOs exist, 36% think they do, and 48% aren't sure.

its nice to know I'm not alone in my belief that there must be something more out there.

i think we are ready for disclosure. who here believes in ufos and who here doesn't ?

im not sure how 80 million americans = 1/3 of earthlings. i think they were just being fancy with their title.

edit on 26-6-2012 by elitegamer23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
"Nearly 65% think Barack Obama would be better suited than Mitt Romney to handle an alien invasion."

Also, I bet the friendship wouldn't last very long.
edit on 26-6-2012 by Balkan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Balkan
"Nearly 65% think Barack Obama would be better suited than Mitt Romney to handle an alien invasion."

Also, I bet the friendship wouldn't last very long.
edit on 26-6-2012 by Balkan because: (no reason given)

maybe that is because a democrat would be ready to appease the visitors and the republicans would shoot first and ask questions later.

I'm just goofing with my comment , don't jump my ass for it .

so do you believe or not?
i would guess more than a 1/3 of ats are believers.

edit on 26-6-2012 by elitegamer23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Its not a matter of belief unidentified flying objects do exist. I wonder how these polls wear done. Like they some how magically know what 300 million people think.
edit on 26-6-2012 by Infi8nity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by elitegamer23

who here believes in ufos and who here doesn't ?

Yes , i believe that people quiet often see things in the sky they cant immediately identify.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
How can 80 million equate to a third of 'earthlings' if the worlds popuation is around 7 billion....? Pretty loose and ambiguous writing there but still a massive amount of people.

This could pertain to recent media, films etc but I like to think that peoples perceptions and possibilities of reality are expanding expotentially, which in my opinion can only be a good thing.

It is going to take alot more than that to make academia atleast openly and perhaps universally (no pun intended) accept the theory without whole heartedly dismissing it thought.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD

who here believes in ufos and who here doesn't ?

Yes , i believe that people quiet often see things in the sky they cant immediately identify.

short answer...... yes
long answer....... Yes , i believe that people quiet often see things in the sky they cant immediately identify.

we all know what is meant in this thread by ufo .

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I absolutely believe in both UFOs and ETs...and I must say that I really hope that come the day the rest of the world who so adamently dismisses people like myself as crazy or stupid, they are quite willing to eat a large helping of humble pie. And rest assured, that day will come. You don't have to believe me skeptics. You'll see.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Do I believe that poll has any merit whatsoever. Not really. I do believe people are experiencing something strange. I don't make the leap to 'aliens', although the possibility is there. I just don't know.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Just because you want to use the term UFO incorrectly dont expect everyone to think the same way.

If you are saying a certain percentage of the US population believes in unidentified flying objects how can you be sure they all mean visiting aliens? well you cant. This is a perfect example of how statistics surrounding this subject can be misrepresented and and misinterpreted.

Its said that 95% of all UFO sightings can be explained and 5% (roughly) cant. Now people making books and videos on the subject who are trying to get you to believe in the existence of visiting aliens then try to make out that this 5% MUST be aliens when in reality it just means they cant be explained so we dont know what they are.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Does anyone think that after the general consensous believes in ufos, they will shift their attention to uso's?

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by The 5th
Does anyone think that after the general consensous believes in ufos, they will shift their attention to uso's?

The percentages in these types of polls and surveys has stayed pretty consistent for the last 20+ years. I think it would require a larger majority to believe to get any kind of positive results from world governments. Maybe a worldwide poll should be done?

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   

maybe that is because a democrat would be ready to appease the visitors and the republicans would shoot first and ask questions later.

Or, more likely the case, the democrats would give their money and resources away; perhaps to less fortunate democratic-aliens. And the republicans would offer the more-conservative aliens lucrative tax breaks and incentives.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I would answer yes, people commonly see things that are unknown to them personally, but I don't believe the evidence (so far) supports the case that UFO=E.T.

The problem with the phrasing of the poll is that many proponents of the extraterrestrial visitation hypothesis commit the logical fallacy of equating UFO with E.T. and thus assuming that everyone who answers in the affirmative is expressing belief that intelligent alien life is/was visiting our fair blue marble.

Sorry O.P. but I wouldn't take the results for anything more than their entertainment value.

edit on 26-6-2012 by Drunkenparrot because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I believe in aliens and I don't even need to speculate since the concept of us being alone is... ridiculous. I imagine us as an atom in the ocean (the ocean is the universe). That is how small we are. What I would like to point out is that all these sightings of UFOs are most likely top secret military projects. Why would aliens need to visit us 24/7 and never make contact?

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I don't understand what the question was.

Was it:

A) Do you believe people have positively identified flying objects to be from another planet
B) Do you believe people mis-identify flying objects

I suspect the pollers wanted the answer to A, but deliberately worded the question otherwise.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   

What idiot wouldn't believe in UFOs ?

If you meant flying cigars and saucers ? Aliens ?

Well no not everyone knows what you're talking about.

On these boards it's say what you mean and mean what you say or get tenderized.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   

I definitely believe that people see things that they cant explain, so i guess i do believe in ufos. I myself have never seen one but my close friend has, and i believe her 100% mostly because she isnt really interested in the ET or conspiracy theory thing. So i dont think she was just wanting to see a ufo or anything. But honestly i believe that a majority of people that claim to see ufos or aliens are lying.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs

What idiot wouldn't believe in UFOs ?

If you meant flying cigars and saucers ? Aliens ?

Well no not everyone knows what you're talking about.

On these boards it's say what you mean and mean what you say or get tenderized.

i have been here long enough to know that most of the members here are intelligent enough to actually read the article and comprehend what is meant by UFO in context.

sorry for the ones who can't understand such simple things.

look at the headline, key words like ufo and aliens . what the hell do you think this thread is about?

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Oh they understand perfectly as well as I do. Still it leaves you open for just what you're getting now. It's not my fault that's the way it is. Just try'in a help. If that's not appreciated ? I don't care much about that either.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join