It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

60 Million to 2 Billion Euro Stolen from 60+Bank Accounts

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
This is interesting. It could lead to account holders with very large balances withdrawing their money and we all know what that could mean for the banks....

"Sixty million euro has been stolen from bank accounts in a massive cyber bank raid after fraudsters raided dozens of financial institutions around the world."

news.sky.com...

Sky News defence and security editor Sam Kiley said: "It does include British financial institutions and has jumped over to North America and South America. "What they have done differently from routine attacks is that they have got into the bank servers and constructed software that is automated. "It can get around some of the mechanisms that alert the banking system to abnormal activity."

This source says up to 2 billion may have been stolen.

www.worldcrunch.com...

TextThe German version of the business technology news website ZDNet reports that about 60 servers have been processing countless frauds over the past few months, resulting in attempts to steal between 60 million and two billion euros.

The fraud has apparently targeted transfers from at least 60 banks mainly in Italy, Germany and the Netherlands –although McAfee warns that it has found evidence of attacks against Latin American and North American financial institutions too

Servers in Russia were used to carry out this cyber crime,

I wonder if this event has anything to do with the recent banking woes.

Credit unions and multinational banks were targeted, so even some of those who moved their money out of the big banks will be affected by this.

What do you guys think?
edit on 26-6-2012 by Threegirls because: to add another point

edit on 26-6-2012 by Threegirls because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-6-2012 by Threegirls because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Isn't that just perfect timing??
All our money's gone from the banks, lets blame hackers..

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
From the article, it sounds like the 60M could be the tip of the iceberg and that the attack is ongoing.

"If all of the attempted fraud campaigns were as successful as the Netherlands example we describe in this report, the total attempted fraud could be as high as 2bn (£1.6bn)."

McAfee researchers have been able to track the global fraud, which still continues, across countries and continents.

The Russians are coming? Or a false flag to get European sentiment to turn against Russia, and by proxy, Syria.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by UKWO1Phot
Isn't that just perfect timing??
All our money's gone from the banks, lets blame hackers..

Yeah because hackers don't do this kind of stuff do they

People find it very easy to blame everything on the government

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by UKWO1Phot

Isn't it just!

The report does say that 'high balance accounts' were targeted so my money if it reaches my account should be fine!

If it's business accounts though, will they have the money to pay wages?

The size of the company would be a factor in that I guess.

I wonder if this will turn out to be something very big.

I remember something about a 'Robin Hood' attack being talked about a while back, if charities have a massive balance in the coming days, I guess that will answer that question

I doubt that though.
edit on 26-6-2012 by Threegirls because: typo

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Ancient Champion

To do this kind of thing you need access to the servers..
How do you get access to 60 banks servers? You need someone on the inside..
edit on 26/6/2012 by UKWO1Phot because: missed an N

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousCitizen

I know and I am really ashamed of myself for this but I am a bit excited!

I know it could end up being bad and I could totally lose access to my money but somehow I just love the thought of bankers being afraid.

I'm sorry, I can't help it.

If it is a false flag event with that intent, I think the future is looking..... predictable.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Threegirls

multinational banks were targeted

Could this be related to the trouble NatWest has had for the past six days
Have they shut there servers to stop this fraud
Well i'm glad i don't bank with NatWest

Cran

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by cranspace

Unfortunately I do.

Not for too much longer I hope.

It seems that someone is attempting to speed up the crippling of the Euro zone, maybe affecting the value of the currency, if it's only the Euro and is in a significant enough volume, could it do that?

Just wondering.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by cranspace

I read somewhere today RBS are going to sue the software developers for their problems.
Maybe this opened a loophole to infect the transaction systems.?
Who knows.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
false flag for internet kills switch?

Iran fighting back with a wallstreet vires??

Did Obama find a new way to fund raise???

can anyone find the timeline on this? is it a slow all year long thing or was it all done today!?
edit on 26-6-2012 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by UKWO1Phot
reply to post by Ancient Champion

To do this kind of thing you need access to the servers..
How do you get access to 60 banks servers? You need someone on the inside..
edit on 26/6/2012 by UKWO1Phot because: missed an N

Or incredibly inept IT folks who install attachments with viruses on those servers.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

install attachments with viruses,,,,

attachments???? ,,nope,, sorry,,

now if it was me doing an IT Investigation,,,

they were NOT chips made in CHINA,,by any chance?

Server,, Chips,,the ones that were found on the Missles,,,remember,,,

attachments????,,, lol,,ya like motherboards and backboards, lol

SERVERS.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I find this info funny because I just pulled all of my cash out of a major US bank on Friday.

So I no longer have to worry about so-called "hackers" taking anything from me!

Problem solved.....

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

Indeed, so long as you convert the cash into tangible assets, no bank or similar is safe it seems.

Some are saying that silver or other commodities are safe but then protecting your investment may be an issue.

For those with abundant cash, land and farming equiptment may be the best option.

Get self sufficient.

I of course am totally scr3w3d as I don't have anything really. Not even a stock pile of food.

edit on 26-6-2012 by Threegirls because: typo

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
So Stuxnet has a back door? Looks like the looting has begun.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   

There are a couple threads going around sporting the benefits of silver, but I have been quick to post that precious metal investments are not as fail-safe as people think.

Most investors only buy "paper silver". They buy shares of silver and do not take physical possession. This is actually a huge part of the gold/silver market. This means that the price of the metal does not correspond with the physical supply on the market.

In other words, this is just another bubble waiting to burst and when it does.....a lot of people are going to lose the money they invested in "paper silver".

I like to invest in a variety of metals but no matter which I choose, I take possession immediately. Don't be fooled by people on here talking about certain numbers to look for or guaranteed value. The market is completely manipulated and is set to correct itself. And that will be a very painful process.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by sheepslayer247

There are a couple threads going around sporting the benefits of silver, but I have been quick to post that precious metal investments are not as fail-safe as people think.

Most investors only buy "paper silver". They buy shares of silver and do not take physical possession. This is actually a huge part of the gold/silver market. This means that the price of the metal does not correspond with the physical supply on the market.

In other words, this is just another bubble waiting to burst and when it does.....a lot of people are going to lose the money they invested in "paper silver".

I like to invest in a variety of metals but no matter which I choose, I take possession immediately. Don't be fooled by people on here talking about certain numbers to look for or guaranteed value. The market is completely manipulated and is set to correct itself. And that will be a very painful process.

if have paper then that is all you have,..

I am cash poor but silver I have and a small stock pile of everything you might need....I clean out foreclosures and I hold on to all of the goodies like,

I found a four foot bucket working West Virginia that is only six inches round and will easily fit into our well pipe if power goes out for good... (backup)

I have enough supplies to build a windmill, make water solar heating unit and even a low cost freezing unit which after started only uses 6 watts and can make blocks of ice! But more important, I know how and I have that kowledge in my brain.

lumber, steel, blocks, hand tools of everykind

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   
It does make a digital currency like bitcoin sound safer these days than the more traditional electronic monetary forms. Maybe if there where not so many crooks running the show, tracking the cash flow and verifying the transaction would be lot easier than just saying it is out in cyberspace somewhere. With such a strong push to maintain financial privacy it does make it a lot harder to detect and recover these funds. Personally I find anyone with more money than they are willing to admit to are thieves themselves.

As the global banking system is happy to go to war to exert its will and gain control it does show a lacking in integrity and moral fibre. Until the system wakes up to its responsibilities it has not got the character needed to get on top of this problem. Cyber security is going to be a growing problem as the complexity of the technology continues to grow, we are already seeing information warfare as standard practice. Unless some respect returns to the global scene, financial warfare will be next. America may have a a lot of bombs but it is already on the back foot in this area.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by kwakakev

they tried that already its a bust,,the Euro,, its abust,,finished ,,one world Currancy,,one shot deal,,no Mulligans.

safest place ,,down at the Local Credit Union*,, where u know the guys,,

and they give u toasters,,,but the money stays in Town,, ahhh the good old days,, worked then,,
why not now?

*or Local Owned Bank,,, Canadian here.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join