It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Furious Turkey mobilizes tanks, troops to Syrian border

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   
The Turkish Army can not even defeat a bunch of rag-tag Kurdish rebels on their own territory.

What makes you guys think they could take on a trained army ?

Everyone who thinks you can do a Panzer blitz nowadays into a country in order to defeat its Military has not the tiniest clue about modern warfare. Since the end of the cold war, tanks have become pretty much useless in every aspect. You can not use them in the open fields because every infantrist has a portable LAW or similar, every airplane has laser or infrared guided AT weapons, and you can not deploy them into urban areas for the very same reasons, not to speak of IED's using shaped charges.

And on a last note, let me assure you that there has NOT been any significant deployment of ground troops in Turkey close to the Syrian border, as usual it's a bag of hot air. All the Turks do is a lot of talk and no action. I remind everyone about the Turkish ship that got assaulted by Israeli troops last year. Hell they sure announced a lot of things, but no action whatsoever followed, as usual, just blah blah.

The Turkish military is insignificant, the only reason it has a half-way modern army is because they allowed nuclear warheads to be stationed close to the Russian border during the cold war so they got some funds from the NATO. And if the size of an Army had any significance, the Iraqi Army had kicked the US' butt in both Iraq wars, because they had the 2nd or 3rd largest Army in the world, and we all know how that went ...

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by H1ght3chHippie

I do not think Turkey is the problem. Turkey wants into the EU, therefore I think they will do the EU bidding as and when requested. Slayer69 mentioned that they have an array of both US and Russian equipment. Also NATO will not be too far behind, "Allies" let's say. This could go very wrong, very quickly.

I think it was Libya that made me look up. That # went quick. I got so mad I emailed NATO (via their contact form) and told them in no uncertain term what a bunch of [SNIP] [SNIPPING] [SNIPPERS] they were and if they wanted to send their [SNIPPING] scumbag death squads round to my house, I'm sure they would know where to [SNIPPING] find me.

I'm still here, and still fuming.

Suffer the little children unto me...

edit on 27/6/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Grammar

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

90% of what the Turks do in this particular scenario is due to domestic policy issues in order to make Erdogan look strong infront of his own population. The remaining 10% are due to expectations which the EU / NATO is putting upon them.

I doubt you can still bait them with a promised EU entry anymore, they should know by now that this has been a farce from the start on. Especially now that the Euro zone is falling apart financially. They aren't that stupid.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   
As you can see.. that last NATO summit sure kicked off world events in the ME as most of us knew would happen. To top it off; the Bilderberg group meeting in Virginia. Not soon after both meetings; NATO countries are beating the war-drums. The US and Israel both admitted to arming Syrian Rebels to stir-up the region.. as they do in all countries prior to bombing it to smithereens and then not soon after occupying it. Soon it will be Iran.

I hope in my next life.. I wont be reborn onto this planet or any planet that have a global elite cabal running the show!

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by H1ght3chHippie

The earliest date that Turkey could enter the EU is 2013, the date when the next financial perspectives (the EU's six year budgetary perspectives) will come into force. Ankara is currently aiming to comply with EU law by this date,[18] but Brussels has refused to back 2013 as a deadline.[19] In 2006 European Commission President José Manuel Barroso said that the accession process will take at least until 2021

Source

Yet they seem to be following the carrot on a stick even though it will lead to loss of autonomous control of their country and their finances.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I think a lot of this is about local politics in Turkey, as a prior poster said a few posts up, about flexing muscles and showing a strong hand in the face of some provocative looking actions. I also wonder if it's about Turkey asserting some measure of regional hegemony, or at least testing the waters in that regard. The US probably wouldn't mind that so much as a more aggressive counter to Iran's ongoing goals of being a regional hegemonic power then they want to get involved in. Not too many years ago Israel would have been less bothered by that but there have been hiccups in formerly good Turkish-Israeli relations more recently, so I don't know, but I don't think Israel would mind one bit if Turkey messed with Syria for a while instead of them.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Relax guys, we in Europe do not think WW3 will start in the Middle East, that is why Russia is saying little about what is going on, while the USA & UK are worrying about the Middle east Russia are more busy getting ready to invade Europe to teach the UK a lesson we wont forget.
The Middle East to to much of a wealth area to turn it into a blazing waste land, Russia needs oil like we all do, but once the Russian Army with it's friends start to retake there old parts of Europe they lost 20 or so years ago, it will mean the USA wont have any places to stick the new ABM and Radar sites, well yes the USA may be told where to stick them, but I wont go into that on here.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed
reply to post by hp1229

Nevertheless, this can serve 2 purpose if indeed turkey is mobilizing the troops. Prevent the exodus of refugees from sneaking into Turkey if and when Syria engages itself into a conflict with the West and ofcourse use it for ground invasion if Turkey indeed wishes to retaliate.

Please answer me this, what does Turkey have to retaliate from? They are the ones who violated Syrian airspace so retaliation against their downed aircraft would not justify retaliation. Has Syria attacked Turkey?

Turkey attacked Syria when it violated it's airspace so therefore it would be Syria who has the right to retaliate, no?

Come on now! we can't let common sense enter the equation can we? This will be spun as the Turkish jets either being just inside Turkish airspace when they were hit or that they were on a humanitarian mission of some sort.

Let Syria defend it's own border from incursion? the very idea!

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by disfugured
As you can see.. that last NATO summit sure kicked off world events in the ME as most of us knew would happen. To top it off; the Bilderberg group meeting in Virginia. Not soon after both meetings; NATO countries are beating the war-drums. The US and Israel both admitted to arming Syrian Rebels to stir-up the region.. as they do in all countries prior to bombing it to smithereens and then not soon after occupying it. Soon it will be Iran.

I hope in my next life.. I wont be reborn onto this planet or any planet that have a global elite cabal running the show!

I hope I have another life. Unfortunately I don't believe in such things. I do believe that I am going to have to make the best of this one with the sinking suspicion that it will not be as long as I had hoped.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThisIsNotReality
This is what happens in times of war (and between wars as well), you depict someone as being a horrible being who deserves everything that's coming to them, like the poor nurse, so the people will blindly follow and support the government that is fighting those "evils", while in fact, the only evil is the one that enjoys starting wars and killing innocent people.

Yes, we all know the average soldier is not responsible for the crimes of their government. But im cases like you mentioned, they still need to be stopped.

Would you suggest we have just let the Germans and Austrians run rampant throughout Europe?

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
There is still a lot of talk about the Plane being shot down but they very rarely mention the fate of the pilots.
I'm assuming that they are still MIA.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Alternative4u

The mid east will be the start of WW3 name one nation or country, in there not one is at peace with it self or its neighbors, from Africa to Turkey or Sudan to sadi Arabia

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Oh you must be American then...they are censoring that news in your country sorry no link works south of the 49th if the NSA doesnt aprove....youll have to take our word....(we both must have heard the same news...)

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Here's a good map to understand the bigger picture hence why US is supporting the rise of the islamists around israel. Once the islamists are in power they will repeat the same mistake as they did in 1967 6 day war and help israel finalize it's borders:

edit on 27-6-2012 by forklift because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by H1ght3chHippie
The Turkish Army can not even defeat a bunch of rag-tag Kurdish rebels on their own territory.

In the same way it took forever for the USA to beat Iraqi insurgents and Afghani Taliban?

Obviously you dont understand guerilla tactics and just why they can be so hard to defeat all while attempting to keep a positive public image. The most powerful military in the world can be rendered impotent when fighting and enemy who hides in the shadows and uses human shields to protect themselves.

edit on 27-6-2012 by nightbringr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soshh
reply to post by hp1229

One can also assume an increase of covert support both from Turkey and other countries funnelling support through Turkey.
Good point. Somehow that would make this a calculated move (including sending in the aircrafts (manned or unmanned)). I still have a feeling that they were unmanned (types that are used during missile tests of shooting down a moving combat aircraft). We have not heard about the pilots if they were captured or dead. Anyone?

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Alternative4u

You do know that Russia is a big oil supplier right? The russian demand for oil is not significant as other countries.

edit on 28-6-2012 by hp1229 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by nake13

Come on now! we can't let common sense enter the equation can we?
Well where is the common sense in justifying the syrian action? Nobody has the evidence if they were in the international or syrian airspace. On the other hand, I do agree that every country has a right to protect its airspace.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

That video shows Turkey having an interesting combination of both American and Russian equipment.
edit on 26-6-2012 by SLAYER69 because: d

Just like Israel does. The difference is that Putin LIKES Israel!

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Take this how one shall,

Syrian tanks amass near Turkish border: FSA general

www.chicagotribune.com...

news.yahoo.com...

ANTAKYA, Turkey (Reuters) - A general in the rebel Free Syria Army said on Friday that Syrian government forces had amassed around 170 tanks north of the city Aleppo, near the Turkish border, but there was no independent confirmation of the report.

General Mustafa al-Sheikh, head of the Higher Military Council, an association of senior officers who defected from President Bashar al-Assads forces, said the tanks had assembled at the Infantry School near the village of Musalmieh northeast of the city of Aleppo, 30 kms (19 miles) from the Turkish border.

Still waiting for Independent Confirmation, just sharing what I've discovered thus far

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join