It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"New wind farm components arrive on Oahu "...But is it enough?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
New wind farm components arrive on Oahu

Oahu's newest wind farm is expected to cut the island's yearly oil consumption by 300,000 barrels. Along with providing greener power, First Wind's Kawailoa farm will help Hawaii's clean energy production soar to new heights.

Ok so I'm all for green energy, especially here in Hawaii where everything, including energy, is bought at a premium. And I know this is a step in the right direction, once the environmental concerns are worked out.

But...Is it enough?

We'll get 30 new turbines which will cut Oahu's yearly oil consumption by 300,000 barrels. Sounds good right? Well how much oil does Oahu use anyway?

We've been decreasing our oil consumption steadily over the last 6 years, but look. It still takes about 30,000 barrels a day to run the island of Oahu. 30 new turbines will cut the oil consumption by 300,000 barrels per year.

300,000/30,000=10.

10 days worth of energy per year. That's it. That's all we will be able to squeeze out of these turbines. 10 days.

Like I said, I know it's a step in the right direction. I'm just afraid at this rate it won't be enough.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
This is why Wind and Solar are not being used yet as the primary source of energy. We aren't getting enough energy from them to take care of all the needs. These things have to improve before they get beyond "individuals-only" energy sources.
edit on 26-6-2012 by CynicalDrivel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
its not that renewable energy Cannot replace oil its that oil makes those in power too much money off of oil not Renewable energy

private patents some over 5yrs old for windmill and ocean current power generation could solve many problems in Hawaii but this tech is where it was 5yrs ago hidden on the internet looking for investment until we realize who and what is controlling our life and put a stop to it we will continue to be used and profited from.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by -W1LL

Just for clarity, I meant "cannot yet". If it's not putting out nearly the same amount of power, at a comparable price, no matter some documents being hidden, then it's still not really that viable.

new topics

top topics

join