It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should we have equal reactions to each murder regardless of race issues?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
This isn't an easy subject to deal with, and I would prefer to not ever have to deal with it, but it's hard to ignore when it pops up frequently.

A friend of mine dumped this link on me, this morning:

'Black community should be outraged' over delivery-driver murder

A man on the other side of the country is calling for the African-American community in Wilmington, and the entire United States, to speak up about a recent murder.

Robert Oliver, of San Diego, emailed Mayor Pro-tem Earl Sheridan and the rest of Wilmington City Council to ask why no one is outraged about the June 14 murder of Zhen Bo Liu. Six black males, including two juveniles, face charges related to the crime.

In his email, Oliver wrote it's "time for black people to get off the dime and not be tolerant of their own criminals."

Sheridan said that Oliver's message is wrong to make the matter a racial one.
[...]
"I'm seeing all of this stuff about Trayvon Martin all over the nation," said Oliver. "Why can't we see that kind of outrage about this man who was just doing his job?"

First: Is "taking care of your own race's problems" racist? And if it is, is it still wrong to take care of your own culture's problems?

Second, should you have the same indignant reaction about anyone who is "wrongfully murdered"?

The only comment that this friend made about the situation was to mutter something about Conscientious Objection and Civil Disobedience. I'm guessing his comment was supposed to be: is this a matter to have Conscientious Objection over or Civil Disobedience over?

C.O. is basically your daily objections to certain types of behavior. It means you discuss your personal views on the subject every time that you can, you refrain from adding to the problem, and you educate others on your stance. C. D. is where protesting comes in.

So the Third question is should we be Conscientious Objectors or should we practice Civil Disobedience over an issue like this?

My personal stance on all of this is that you work with your own first, and then work your way out. It's not a matter of race, it's a matter of influence--the level of influence I have over people's behavior is strongest the closer they are to me. Unless someone of another race is a fairly close friend of mine, much of any stance I have over another culture is going to fall flat: a "You haven't lived this" reaction. So yes, the black community of a Wilmington does need to be involved, as peer pressure is a tool, and can be used for good (although this is rare). But I'm not sure how someone who is not from there is going to be able to do much more than stir the pot--even of the same race. What Oliver is doing could be considered "making this a race issue" over keeping it a community issue.

But he has a point: why is one death worth more outrage? It shouldn't be. both should spark about the same level of reaction--whether or not the death requires the same level of punishment. Problem is that we don't...and that's where we've lost our minds, as a society.

As for the third part: Conscientious Objection should be practiced on a daily basis. But there comes a time for the outright rebellion against society. God grant us the wisdom to see when which is needed. If justice is not given in this case, then it is time to be a bit more than a mere Conscientious Objection.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Sir/Ma'am, your post is filled with common sense and morality, which is these days known as 'hate speech' and as such is high objectionable!

And correct.

S&F, and thanks for the posting.

edit on 26-6-2012 by Dreine because: nunya

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
It's all about money.

The MSM knows they can exploit the race issue with a Trayvon Martin situation. They can make it into a media frenzy. Doing so benefits them bc they can sell more if the story is sensational.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
The truth of the matter is the black community WILL NOT police their own people because they approve of the crime and the racism against white people. If they did not approve, then they'd do something about it. But Black Panthers or not, they do not give a damn when one of their thugs gun down an innocent white person.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Of course murder should outrage people no matter what the circumstance. And in many case it doesn't seem that it does. But it is also important to realize why some get more attention than others. This case has a crucial difference between it and the Martin/Zimmerman case the perpetrators of this crime are facing charges which is something that wasn't happening in Florida. So if they are facing charges then the system is working the way that it should. The perception in Florida was Zimmerman wasn't facing any charges and should have been. So naturally a call to action was made.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by KeliOnyx

Now, I recognize that this is a huge point. But if this was the only reason, then humanity would have backed off once that boy's killer was addressed by the system. It didn't necessarily.

Charges to be filed against Zimmerman in Trayvon Martin shooting By The Associated Press Updated 02:11 p.m., Wednesday, April 11, 2012
The outrage shown did not die down in April. For some, this reaction won't die down until that man is convicted--and many wouldn't have that same reaction to the above-mentioned case.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
absolutely not - Black on White and White on Black crime is needed to bring about TPTB plan - so all news will focus on injustices based on Race... I dont want to see a single White on White or Black on Black crime. '
Divide and Conquer Damn it - you got it.... good.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by CynicalDrivel

Well see this another thing that happens when you have a set of circumstances that propel a case to the national spotlight. I don't understand it but my mom is one of those people that once a case becomes a national case she follows it. What made the Casey Anthony case anymore or less vile than any other child murder? Nothing it was a slow news day and the media ran with it.

Once the media gets a case for whatever reason they tend to hold on to it until it is finished. The Zimmerman trial has become it's own monster because the spotlight originally put on it. Had he been charged and tried without the outcry it would have just went on just as quietly as any other case similar to it. But now the media has a built in audience because of what it took to get it to trial. Viewers are invested in it so the news channels know when news breaks on it they can get those ratings.

new topics

top topics

join