It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Benevolent Intelligent ET Lifeforms Are A Pipedream

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by ThisIsNotReality

My rubbish quote was directed at your claim that animals do not possess the ability to plan ahead in the future. What else is this statement, but rubbish?

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by prisoneronashipoffools

I'm zapped. I'll have to recharge and answer your reply later. Thanks again.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   
So by your own thread wording...youre insisting ET Lifeforms are "malevolent" mean and harmful...and NOT intelligent-instead, stupid, dumb and lacking intelligence.

This thread is "malevolent" and not very "intelligent.

Put your pipe down..leave it alone....

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   
The truth is they are neither...... Dont you think you oversimplify everything too? The OP sounds much like religion if you ask me. Aliens are not malevolent, nor benevolent, they are just...........aliens. : |

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 01:52 AM
link   
from our current knowledge and understanding I think that believing there are no benevolent ETs is as much of a long shot as believing there are benevolent ETs.

the only thing more or less safe to assume would be that they have to be intelligent
even this assumption is not 100% sure, what if their bodies are made in such a way that interstellar travel is second nature? they would not need to make crafts and therefore they would not need intelligence

Assuming they are intelligent, it is still impossible to say if they are benevolent or not. I've seen very intelligent people that show a "predatory" nature and I have seen very intelligent people who show a very "benevolent" nature

taking human nature to conclude how a race of ET might behave towards us is an argument full of fallacies, something numerous posters before me have already stated.

I personally thing that with intelligence comes understanding and with understanding comes compassion.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Well, just like there is light and dark, there are probably a nearly equal number of negative and positive alien forces out there. There are benefits to being an ethically evolved society - in my view, ethics is about making healthy choices.

Look at our planet, and how we are screwing ourselves over through bad decision making (what you would call predatory nature). It is only harming us in the end, in fact, it is probably going to bring us near extinction and maybe even send us back into the dark ages technology-wise sometime this century.

Don't you think that in order to become advanced enough to travel the stars, an alien race must first be advanced enough to overcome this limitation?

That is my argument for how a benevolent intelligent ET race would come to exist, how it would understand the universe, and why there would be some benefits to being benevolent.

I could make a similar argument for a hostile ET race, but you already did. Still an enjoyable topic.

edit on 27-6-2012 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 05:01 AM
link   
I agree with you that sending greetings and attempting to contact ETs is insanity. If it ends up in the wrong hands we could get wiped out without us ever having a chance to fight back. Think of a galactic exterminator which wipes out potentially harmful species before they become a threat, or simply a power hungry newcomer to the galaxy who has only thousands or tens of thousands of years in space exploration and considers it its right to impose its will on any new planet it finds. We need to build a Deathstar or two before we stick our heads out and see what kind of neighborhood we live in.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 05:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Balkan

So you're explaining all UFO phenomenon with 'lights in the sky', just to support your fail statement?

I would suggest to view 10 best UFO cases on Netflix. (there are many threads about all of them here)

btw, you did not answer my question regarding your nick.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 06:56 AM
link   
I don't feel like explaining myself but to the OP "you have no clue" but at least you have put thought into it and that's a good thing.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by mysterioustranger
So by your own thread wording...youre insisting ET Lifeforms are "malevolent" mean and harmful...and NOT intelligent-instead, stupid, dumb and lacking intelligence.

This thread is "malevolent" and not very "intelligent.

Put your pipe down..leave it alone....

I insisted no such thing. Perhaps you should pick up the pipe and stop self-projecting.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by quietlearner
taking human nature to conclude how a race of ET might behave towards us is an argument full of fallacies, something numerous posters before me have already stated.

For the love of...!! Once AGAIN, that is not the correct interpretation of my position, and I am not reiterating again because some of you can't wrap your minds around it.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by darkbake
Well, just like there is light and dark, there are probably a nearly equal number of negative and positive alien forces out there.

I don't speak nu-age. Sorry, wrong thread.

There are benefits to being an ethically evolved society

Well, what are they? I've never seen an 'ethically evolved society' so I'm not sure what the benefits might be. You mean the USA? Don't make me laugh. Ethically evolved societies aren't built on slavery, genocide, corruption, greed...etc, and we certainly don't qualify as one now either.

It is only harming us in the end, in fact, it is probably going to bring us near extinction and maybe even send us back into the dark ages technology-wise sometime this century.

Don't you think that in order to become advanced enough to travel the stars, an alien race must first be advanced enough to overcome this limitation?

Not really. We're advanced enough to make it into space with our 'limitations' now, aren't we? You truly believe that to get to another planet we have to be some ethically superior, benevolent race. I don't think so. At all.

That is my argument for how a benevolent intelligent ET race would come to exist, how it would understand the universe, and why there would be some benefits to being benevolent.

Where is the argument?

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by observe50
I don't have an argument, and you'd probably give me a good debate if I did, but I think I'll just insult you, throw out a back-handed compliment, and then leave with my tail tucked between my legs

Hey, thanks for your contribution to my thread. Take care and peace to you and yours.

edit on 27-6-2012 by Balkan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Well, I am disappointed. I hoped to come to my thread today and see that some brainiac had completely destroyed my argument. So far, nothing.

I find it amusing (but expected) that on one hand, I am accused of projecting humanness on intelligent ET (which, I'm not), and on the other hand most of the refutations are flimsy moral arguments, by people projecting their arbitrary moralism on intelligent ET. Fun stuff!

I've made it clear that my position has nothing to do with moralism, and that in fact, I would wager that a truly advanced society would have moved away from our laughably subjective ideas about moralism.

I must be a horrible, bad man for even suggesting such things, huh?

Again, I don't consider my arguments facts. Just throwing some discussion out there. I expected the moral arguments, because people cling to them like a lifejacket, and many just aren't capable of taking off those rosy-colored glasses for a moment to observe something somewhat objectively and getting down the basic instincts of the matter (pun intended). In this regards, my little social experiment was (once again) a resounding success.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Balkan
Well, I am disappointed. I hoped to come to my thread today and see that some brainiac had completely destroyed my argument. So far, nothing.

Your argument? Where? Sorry, but I have missed it, and if you call all UFO phenomenon and all documents that show alien visitation in past nothing more then 'lights in the sky', then you are just ignoring all evidence that does not support your thesis.

I am not saying your wrong. I am saying you are doing it wrong way.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Balkan
Well, I am disappointed. I hoped to come to my thread today and see that some brainiac had completely destroyed my argument.

I do concur that benevolence would be unlikely because once they start providing for us then we would demand ongoing assistance and, before you know it, they would be governing our planet to the detriment of everybody involved

However we humans are growing exponentially more populous with a rising standard of living, notwithstanding the current banking crisis, and with better health and longer lives

Such precedent should constitute evidence of neutrality, and not malevolence, assuming that we are indeed subject to ET visitation

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Balkan

Interesting. You quote Charles Manson and I quote Carl Sagan. Fits, huh?

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I have always agreed with this notion, and tend to believe if there are many different types of ET visiting our planet, the majority of them are malevolent. Maybe the benevolent one's were the one's written of in the Bible?

I tend to think of exploratory ET's similar to a Shark. Sharks just cruise around the ocean looking for things to prey upon, or when curious, things to check out aka take a bite ouf of a surfer.

You can use that analogy to explain abductions. Maybe an exploring race of creatures notices our planet and sees it brimming with life, stops to check it out and grabs a few people, performs tests and studies, maybe takes samples, and then continue on....
edit on 27-6-2012 by AlonzoTyper because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by quantumfluctuationassuming that we are indeed subject to ET visitation

I will make no such assumptions. And if I go down that road of entertaining the idea of intelligent ET visiting earth and how it pertains to my argument, this thread would get dilluted with so much kookery and alien mythology it would go downhill fast. And I have no problem with that stuff. I love it, in fact. I also do have an understanding that a lot of people into the UFO fields are very passionate about their beliefs. However, I'd like to keep my thread Grey-free, if I may. Maybe later, if the thread doesn't die (which I think it will), we'll go down that road and have some fun with it. Thanks for your reply.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   

edit on 27-6-2012 by Balkan because: Actually, nope. Not worth the trouble.

edit on 27-6-2012 by Balkan because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join