It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just A Reminder For July 1st: ISPs Will begin spying on you

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
This is an old article: I put it here because I wasn't sure where to put it.:

NEW YORK--The country's largest Internet service providers haven't given up on the idea of becoming copyright cops. Last July, Comcast, Cablevision, Verizon, Time Warner Cable and other bandwidth providers announced that they had agreed to adopt policies designed to discourage customers from illegally downloading music, movies and software. Since then, the ISPs have been very quiet about their antipiracy measures. But during a panel discussion before a gathering of U.S. publishers here today, Cary Sherman, CEO of the Recording Industry Association of America, said most of the participating ISPs are on track to begin implementing the program by July 1.

news.cnet.com...

I'm against this. They are not the police but are trying to be. Why can't the FEDs stop them from this unconstitutional act? The answer is of course, they control the Feds with their money.

I really wish I had umpteen billion dollars to spend. I would spend the vast majority of it fighting these people. All they want is to get the money for themselves and are the real pirates, not a file sharer.

Although they'd probably have the Feds step in and shut me down.

Just remember folks, this is not just a slippery slope. It may start out with file sharers, but in the end, it will eventually start affecting you too. It's all part of TPTB to grab and control the internet.

Don't let them.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Actors/Directors/MPAA/etc: Salary > 100,000 dollars.(try a couple million per actor etc)
Me: Salary < 35,000 dollars.

Im pirating everything i can. If say, for example, i made more money? Then i would buy all the things i pirate. Otherwise they can bite my shiny metal ass. Rent > $60 blu-ray. Glad i live in canada where the piracy laws are a little different.

I dont even pirate tv/movies anymore, netflix is cheap and it works pretty well.
edit on 26/6/12 by AzureSky because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

Am a pirate i surf the waves looking for my downloads.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Well... I just upgraded my Fios to 150mbps... Time to go download the internet before july 1st... Should be able to pull it off

edit on 26-6-2012 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I dont really care, ill download what I want and if they cut me off, so be it. I can live without the internet, probably actually get out more without it.

Almost forgot this--

edit on 26-6-2012 by Juggernog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
and my response will be to personally spread pirated software and media computer to computer or by dvd or blu ray and refuse to purchase ANY new media
there wont be a house on the block without the latest transformers abomination or version of photoshop

and so a new network will form one free from the tyrannical reign of profit driven service providers
www.ted.com...
edit on 26-6-2012 by sirhumperdink because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by sirhumperdink

Cool then i wont have to get the stuff myself. I will just come to your house!!
You will be the new Cartell!
What about the sites like Solarmovies.eu and Fastpass? Where you can watch priated movies online without downloading? Where you are just streaming. Where do those fit in?

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   
How would this be enforced if a person was using a P2P network? How could the ISP identify the files being traded, and if they were copyrighted or not?

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Those ISPs are private companies...they can do whatever the hell they want.

If you don't like it...don't use their services.

You are using their network...they have the right to say they don't want illegal activity to take place on their network. This is no different than someone renting out a building and telling the renters that the building is not to be used for illegal activities.

People on the internet need to grow up and start paying for the stuff they want. You wouldn't walk in to Walmart and expect to be allowed to take 100 DVDs and walk out without paying....why do you think it is fine for you to do it on the internet???

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by CaticusMaximus

You should read the article. I am trying to find more information on this though, but without any luck.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   

I did. It doesnt explain the technicals, It just says they would monitor it.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by CaticusMaximus

And i think they're going to keep those technical details as secret as they possibly can, more to control the internet, of course.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Once again, I think we should remember "Dead Drops", which are anonymous offline p2p filesharing networks. Of course you have to be privy to the locations, and you have to have a laptop. This is a simple idea, and I'm sure there are more ways already being used or in the works.

In the libraries in my area, all of the computers are still out in the open; you can (in some) still use your thumb drives. All you need is a portable p2p application (portable utorrent) and a portable TOR setup. Our libraries limit us to one hour (per day usually) of non-scheduled use. Appointments are different, such as for filling out job applications, etc.
If you have a Linux live cd, you can reboot, and bypass all the filtering software anyway, if you're careful not to get caught. This can get you banned for at least one month around here. Save the downloads to a DVD-RW or thumb drive.

There is always a way...

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 01:59 AM
link   
If you have the patience to watch this through, there are some interesting things about the big players on internet I didn't know.
The internet was the last bit of freedom we had.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 02:04 AM
link   
The easy solution is to boycott all their stuff. Common people, you can't have your cake and eat it too. I'm positive you can live without their bs music, television and movies. Pick one. It's freedom or cr@p music and artists that have been preselected for your degradation. The artists, actors and actresses don't give a damn about you. If they've made it to the top you can bet they sold you out to get there.

If you don't think the cr@p television you watch and cr@p music you hear on the radio doesn't have an effect on you then I have some swampland in Florida...

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by conspiracy88

Wow, somebody finally said it!

Let go of the addiction, stop imbibing the poison.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Recouper
reply to post by conspiracy88

Wow, somebody finally said it!

Let go of the addiction, stop imbibing the poison.

Or at the very least stop stealing it. The whining in this thread is funny... most of the respondents are the exact type of people these kind of BS measures are intended to block...

You can't afford to buy something so you steal it then whine when somebody tries to stop you from stealing it? Any of you whiners have any intellectual or artistic output out there being stolen? That might change your tune a little if that were the case.

There is no doubt that many artists are totally ripped off by music labels... but stealing stuff is not the answer. This would not even be an issue if not for the very kind of people responding to this thread about how proud they are to be stealing stuff. Then whining when somebody takes steps to stop them.

new topics

top topics

join