It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did teacher read avacado baby and give you some pear?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
This never happened to me but I tell you what is weird...

The title of this thread..... star to you for the craziest sounding thread title I've ever seen.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
What it sounds like to me is that the teachers/school were creating skeptics. By reading a fictional book and telling them that they too could have powers and then letting them prove it to themselves that it does not work only taught the children not to believe all of what they are told. It sounds like an experiment in critical thinking.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

I agree. That is exactly what I was thinking, and I'd say the evidence is this former student turning up on ATS! That is pretty good sign that their little thought experiment had an impact. Although I highly doubt they actually intended to create skeptics. Schools typically seek to create conformists.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
It's amazing what you take from class. I never read Avocado Baby but my 5th grade teach did read a Wrinkle in Time (about time travel) to the class. My 4th grade teacher talked about topics such as multi-universes.

I obviously remember these topics. Too bad more topics like these aren't covered in grade school.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

Actualy I'm not sceptic, I'm a truther via believe. Non religious but aware. Strange happenings brought me to search Internet for awnsers.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Wifibrains

I used to take my son out to look for leprechauns in the garden on St Patricks day. It was a game we played. I am sure that by the time we ended that practice the kid knew we were just playing and that we were never gonna see a Leprechaun in the garden.
I think the teachers were playing with you guys and encouraging the use of your imaginations.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Wifibrains

We all have our reason/s for being on a site like this or the beliefs we hold and it's great you found your way here. My opinion was stated as a possible reason for why it was done not whether or not it was successful. Maybe my statement of creating skeptics was extreme(I can see how it could be taken as such) but I still think it was done to teach critical thinking. Having a Daughter in the gifted programs, I know she is guided in this type of thinking through the books on the reading scheduled as well as the assignments she is given. Being a long time theorist and critical thinker, she learns it from me, but the schools, at least in this area, are very big on teaching the children to think things through, from multiple angles in order to come to a logical conclusion. They have not stepped into the paranormal, religion, or other unexplained or faith based subjects, which I appreciate(because I feel it should be left out of the school systems and left for the home), but teaching them to look at the world around them through many different colored lenses(not just rose colored) in my opinion is a very good lesson. She goes to public school and is entering the 4th grade this Fall so you can see they start this type of "Training" early.
edit on 26-6-2012 by Agarta because: added a line

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

Oh goodness, you just made me remember they used to give us these sugar cubes in school that was supposed to have some vaccine (??) or something in it. I cant remember but I think it had something to do with Tuberculosis. Weird. The school was dolling out medication to us back in the 60's.
Anyone else remember this ?

I did a quick google and it was polio vacinne they were dolling out. Still strange that the schools were distributing medications back then.
edit on 26-6-2012 by karen61057 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

Of course. It couldnt have anything to do with streching the imaginations of the children ? School must have been a dour place for you if you never had fun there.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by karen61057

I didn't say that either, school was a lot of fun for me for the most part even though I went to British private school, Catholic private school, German private school, etc until high school which was public. Just because I think its underlying purpose was to teach critical thinking does not mean it was not made to be fun or to build on the imaginations of children. School is about teaching academics, physical therapy, music, art, etc. This is its primary responsibility making it fun and imaginative is secondary. I am not the final answer as to why the Op experienced what they did I only gave what I thought was a viable answer. Am I right? I don't know the only way to know for sure is to ask the school of teachers who were involved.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by II HAL II

Lol thanks

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Xaphan

Dr. Albus longbottom right ? He did the same with us, then we were served fresh creme at a titty bar.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join