It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did teacher read avacado baby and give you some pear?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Did your teacher ever read you the avacado baby, then give you some avacado pear? Mine did.

This story tells about the Hargraves baby, who is born into a very weak but kind family but grows super-strong once its mother begins feeding him avocado.

Thinking about this now this was the strangest school day of my life. We were read the story and given some avacado to eat. That's nothing in itself right? Perfectly normal.

The teachers told us we too could get superhuman powers and at play time we where encouraged the search for these powers
every kid in the school had been read this story and given this pear on the same day and was buzzing about the playground trying to fly, and other crazy stuff
also every teacher in the school was in the playground encouraging us
thinking back now, that's not normal is it?
They seemed to be experimenting, hoping it would work! I tried hard to fly that day, and nothing.

To me now this seems a little out of place, the teachers where encouraging us to try allsorts of stuff, super strength, telepathy, and such things. After playtime the head teacher came around to talk to each class individually to see if any of us experienced any powers. Couple said they expeirienced phycic phenomena, but no super human powers.

What where they up too?
Seems to me like a test, or maybe a search?
If it was just one class, but the whole school?
What's you think ats?

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
It's called "experiential learning" and in my humble opinion, the teachers were doing their job - that is - making education and learning fun. Was it a theme day/week/month at school? Was there a focus on literary work? Sorry, no conspiracy theories from me, but no worries, I'm sure others will chime in with a few.

ETA: I have a question about this:

After playtime the head teacher came around to talk to each class individually to see if any of us experienced any powers. Couple said they expeirienced phycic phenomena,

What did they say they experienced? How did they phrase it? Not looking for you to interpret or put words in their mouths, just simply an indication of what exactly these children said...

edit on 26-6-2012 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Interesting.

Normally I would say it was just fun. On Dr Seuss day, we read Green Eggs and Ham, then let the kids try green eggs.

But school wide? I don't know. Maybe something, but it begs the question why.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Wifibrains

Maybe the teachers just really needed some entertainment.

I think it does sound odd, but I agree it was just a learning experiment. You guys learned lots of things, you learned about avocados, and you learned you can't fly, and you learned even if a story or a teacher tell you something, it isn't necessarily true. They probably didn't intentionally teach you to question authority, but it seems you got the lesson anyway, and that is always a good thing.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   

YES! .... we read the book and had avocado when I was a child! I loved the book but hated avocado, just like I loved Popeye but hated spinach!

Happy memories!

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
When I think back now it just seems strange. And the teachers where exited, like they were actualy expecting something, we were warned to be carefull,and not use the powers on anyone just see what we can find. The more I think about it the stranger it seems.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Dbl post
edit on 26-6-2012 by Wifibrains because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
It's called "experiential learning" and in my humble opinion, the teachers were doing their job - that is - making education and learning fun. Was it a theme day/week/month at school? Was there a focus on literary work? Sorry, no conspiracy theories from me, but no worries, I'm sure others will chime in with a few.

ETA: I have a question about this:

After playtime the head teacher came around to talk to each class individually to see if any of us experienced any powers. Couple said they expeirienced phycic phenomena,

What did they say they experienced? How did they phrase it? Not looking for you to interpret or put words in their mouths, just simply an indication of what exactly these children said...

edit on 26-6-2012 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

They said they could hear other children's thoughts, weird feelings, one said they felt like they where floating out of body.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
Interesting.

Normally I would say it was just fun. On Dr Seuss day, we read Green Eggs and Ham, then let the kids try green eggs.

But school wide? I don't know. Maybe something, but it begs the question why.

I know my kindergarten class did this. We read Green Eggs and Ham and then the teacher cooked up scrambled eggs with green food coloring in it

One of my friends burned his hand on the hot plate

We never did the avocado thing though....

OP, that sounds like nothing too exciting to me. Just teachers encouraging you all to get out there and play hard, eat healthy, things like that.

I really doubt they were looking for kids with super powers.

Of course they were excited. They were watching you kids have tons of fun pretending to be super heros.

Vote Truth_2012 for ATS Regent.
edit on 26-6-2012 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wifibrains
When I think back now it just seems strange. And the teachers where exited, like they were actualy expecting something, we were warned to be carefull,and not use the powers on anyone just see what we can find. The more I think about it the stranger it seems.

You'd be surprised what gets us teachers excited.

This past year my students (first grade) wanted to learn about the Titanic. So we spent several days on the topic.

At recess, the kids came up with a game about the Titanic. It was a version of tag, but with the kids divided into "class" status. They used the top of the slide as the lookout, had a student who was the captain give the order to get on the lifeboats, had crewmen waking people up by order of class.

I was so excited about their game I filmed it and shared it with my colleagues (with parent permission).

So yeah, we teachers do get excited over strange things...

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I had almost forgotten about this. But in my case it wasn't avocado it was coconut and there was an Military officer present with a man in a brown suit taking notes. And the school nurse was watching as well.
edit on 26-6-2012 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

I hear you, and can see your points. Like I said, the story with the food is quite normal. Just like the ham and eggs gree day, but they never got you doing crazy sh1+! I'm not saying there is definitely a conspiracy here, and without being there it's easy to make assumptions it's not. But that day was very strange indeed.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Teacher on ats! Oops. Only joking. My kids had an alien invasion in school a little while back, (topic) the aliens trashed the school! Is this part of the curriculum now? Or would you say this was indoctrinating our kids to fear aliens? Strictly of the record lol

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Teacher on ats! Oops. Only joking. My kids had an alien invasion in school a little while back, (topic) the aliens trashed the school! Is this part of the curriculum now? Or would you say this was indoctrinating our kids to fear aliens? Strictly of the record lol

I would guess the teachers used aliens simply bc they are a commonplace part of our culture. Plus, anytime you can get children to think, to defend that thinking, its great. I've actually used some ATS stuff in my classroom as a critical thinking exercise.

Above all, we teachers do try and make learning fun and interesting. When I was in school I would have LOVED an alien invasion. I know one of our high schools had a mock crime scene to process and the kids loved it. So I'd bet money the alien thing was just for fun.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Hmm, only they just changed schools and their new school had done the same topic, I was looking at the display work in the corridor. Is it up to teachers what the children learn and how? Or are they given instructions at beginning of term, and teachers training days?

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Hmm, only they just changed schools and their new school had done the same topic, I was looking at the display work in the corridor. Is it up to teachers what the children learn and how? Or are they given instructions at beginning of term, and teachers training days?

Take a look at the curriculum. It's public and you have a right to know.

Basically, the curriculum is decided upon by the state, although there is a push for a national curriculum. The teachers are required to teach that curriculum. Now, the curriculum is written in broad objectives. For example, in math it might state "The learner will understand place value to the hundreds place, compose and decompose numbers to twenty.". That's the objective that the teacher must meet. How the teacher chooses to teach the obj is generally up to her professional judgement.

There are lots of different "programs" that a school district might choose to adopt. The teachers would have to use the program. An example of this would be Hooked on Phonics.

Also, teachers share ideas with each other. Perhaps that is why all the schools are doing the alien thing, or the school system might have received a grant for it. Regardless, you should just ask the school. They have to answer to you.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Ok, Thankyou. Just thought it a little strange, and then I thought what sort of stuff did I learn at there age? Then i thought of this thread. I suppose in that respect, neither seem strange, or both are strange as each other lol.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
You think that's weird OP? When I was eleven our teacher had us read A Clockwork Orange, then he took us downtown and had us rape women and beat homeless people half to death.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Xaphan

Lol. And bum fights was born?

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xaphan
You think that's weird OP? When I was eleven our teacher had us read A Clockwork Orange, then he took us downtown and had us rape women and beat homeless people half to death.

That was actually the janitor, not your teacher. You guys should really pay more attention in class.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join