It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democrats Cancel Speedway Event at Charlotte Convention

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Bloomberg Report

Democrats Cancel Speedway Event at Charlotte Convention

That fanfared speedway event at the Charlotte (North Carolina) Motor Speedway has apparently been canceled.

The event was originally targeted as a Democratic Convention extra.

The possible reason is ...... Lack of Money

It looks like a "plan B" event will be activities in Charlotte’s main business district instead.

Of course an "announcement" says:

“While we regret having to move CarolinaFest away from our great partners at the Charlotte Motor Speedway and the City of Concord, we are thrilled with the opportunity that comes with hosting this event in Uptown Charlotte,” said Dan Murrey, the executive director of the Charlotte in 2012 Convention Host Committee.
Well yes of course they are all Thrilled Now
... How "thrilled" would they have been if the original event wasn't cancelled !! ... perhaps "thrilled" not to be there is more like it.

Democrats canceled a political convention kick-off event at the Charlotte Motor Speedway and will move the activities to Charlotte’s main business district, the convention’s host committee announced. .........

The move comes as party planners are grappling with a fundraising deficit of roughly $27 million, according to two people familiar with the matter who requested anonymity to discuss internal party politics. With a party ban on direct contributions from corporations, the host committee has raised less than $10 million, well short of its $36.6 million goal, said one of the people.
Well after all, deficits are part of the standard operations .... right ?

Oh, and one more thing...

Murrey said that logistics, not costs, were behind the decision to cancel the Speedway event.
Yeah RIGHT !!

Look for one boondoggle after another for the DNC convention this year

Read the article for more "problems" already cropping up !!

There seems to be some kind of "fundraising problem".

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I guess they realize that they don't stand a snowballs chance in Hot Charlotte to even come close to filling the massive Speedway. Perhaps they will site in the County Fairgrounds Grandstand when all is said and done.

They are flat broke. Guess they blew their wad on Obama's campaign donations.

Too Funny!!
The Speedway was a massive stretch from the beginning anyway... What a mess.... from the UNION ONLY contracts in a state with few unions... to this. Wow!! Wish I still lived there just to witness this 3 ring circus first hand.

ETA
Love that logistics excuse!! Far tougher logistics in Downtown Charlotte vs. the Speedway which is designed to hold 140,000 people and their vehicles, RV's and everything else.

edit on 26-6-2012 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   
It might have more to do with the logistics of "Free Speech Zones". Better to say they are having financial issues than to shatter the illusion of Democrats being Left or Liberal, you can't exactly pander to Occupy and other movements or groups when you are trying to silence their dissent. I guarantee you the only groups you will hear about protesting the DNC on the news will be declared right-wing groups and wing-nut groups, that is if we hear about any protesting at all.

Occupy Charlotte
wallstsouth.org
wallstsouth call to action

The city of Charlotte has finally granted a permit to protesters for the Democratic National Convention, after eight months of trying on the group's part, WBTV reports .

The Coalition to March on Wall Street South told WBTV it has applied 24 times for the permit.
City leaders have said they'll hold a lottery in early June for permits for groups to march on designated routes.

Members of Occupy Charlotte, which hopes for a huge presence at the September convention, is opposed to the idea of a lottery. The group says it restricts the right of everyone to exercise free speech by limiting permissions to chosen groups only.

Charlotte Business Journal

The DNC having financial issues? Seriously?

edit on 26-6-2012 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   
They're just "downsizing" like eveyone else. I wondor how many people will actually show up that aren't paid,bussed in, and handed signs for the camera's?

Hey,at least some people will get some work out of it.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

So the article gives the answer right in there...that it was moved due to logistics...but you make an entire thread with your own premise that it was due to money.

Keep trying.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I'm sure, for a few more favours, Bank of America could make available one of their conference rooms, and even lay on some nibbles and a brew!

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Is it just me, or is this the most important piece of this article?.....

The move comes as party planners are grappling with a fundraising deficit of roughly $27 million, according to two people familiar with the matter who requested anonymity to discuss internal party politics. With a party ban on direct contributions from corporations, the host committee has raised less than $10 million, well short of its $36.6 million goal, said one of the people.

And the OP can only say this about it?

Well after all, deficits are part of the standard operations .... right ?

Wake up nimrods! This isn't about troll-like comments against the Dems or Reps. This is about corporate money and their effect on a system that is supposed to be for the People....not the corporation.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher

So the article gives the answer right in there...that it was moved due to logistics...but you make an entire thread with your own premise that it was due to money.

Keep trying.

logistics?? Come on... They are claiming "logistics" problems with transporting people 18 miles to the speedway from downtown. Here's a clue to the DNC. The speedway has been in the same location since the 1950's. Its always been 18 miles from downtown. It was 18 miles away when they first announced that they would hold their event there. It's designed to hold 140000 people and their vehicles as well as all of the support vehicles and crew of the NASCAR team. Plus, there are even Condo's on site overlooking the track.

Here is the solution for the big 18 mile dilemma that they cannot seem to figure out. It's called a shuttle BUS!!

Logistics?? BS!! Now they have to secure an entire district within the city as opposed to securing a stand alone facility that is already secure.

No Money!! and lack of Attendance numbers are most likely the culprits. Multiple Dem Super delegates have already decided to boycott this event. I'm sure more will join them in the boycott as we get closer.

The Story of the super delegates.
www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Excuse me? Who are you calling a nimrod? I'm sure it wasn't me PAL.

I was mearly pointing out as have others, that we have an opinion that maybe, just MAYBE they're getting a lower anticipated crowd then previously planned.

That's it.

Watch your insult's please.

If it were a republican change of venue, I'd make the same summation.

I think someones a little"testy " about the lack of chills up their leg this go around. Sorry you don't see Dem's are staying away in DROVES.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by niceguybob

Who are you calling a nimrod?

That was a general poke in the direction of the OP and a few other comments.

I'm sure it wasn't me PAL.

Then why did you have to ask? I made no comment towards anything specifically that you said. So why would you take such a defensive posture?

I think someones a little"testy " about the lack of chills up their leg this go around. Sorry you don't see Dem's are staying away in DROVES.

Ahhh.....gotta love the "Obama lover" comebacks from people on the defensive.
It always kills their argument when I say that I did not vote for Obama and I will not this time.

Crap.....that just ruined your premise. Sorry about that!

If you would have read my post, you would have noticed that my entire premise is that lack of corporate money being taken by the DNC and how it really hurts their pocketbooks. Let me say it again so you understand.

LACK OF CORPORATE FUNDS!

Yet we continue to squabble back and forth on the thread about Left vs.right and pay no attention to the real issue that should have popped out immediately at everyone!

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   

With a party ban on direct contributions from corporations, the host committee has raised less than $10 million, well short of its $36.6 million goal, said one of the people.

A party ban from corporations?

The Democratic ban on "contributions" from corporations?

Since when has there ever been one?

Still millions that could have been raised by unions and people and yet they fell short gee couldn't have anything to do with being up the creek without a paddle for the last 3 years because people are no longer "buying all that hope and change".

meh

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

If it weren't for corporate money contributions and from wealthy individuals to the Right, you would see the same thing happen to their money flow.

Most people do not contribute money to campaigns or political parties. So I think saying this has something to do with "hope and change" is completely disingenuous.

At least the damned Dems are apparently willing to say no to corporate money, a point that is popular to many of their constituents. The Republicans don't care and will take money form anyone for any reason.

Pretty sad when the Dems have a leg-up on the GOP for morality.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

At least the damned Dems are apparently willing to say no to corporate money, a point that is popular to many of their constituents

I have never seen the left "say no" to other peoples' money in my entire life they don't not care where it comes from.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Actually Obama himself made the pledge not to take corporate money and it has trickled down into the DNC. Many people have found ways to get around this pledge, but have taken the steps to at least appear against corporate money power.

ETA: It seems that many people on the Left must be sticking to the pledge....cuz they are broke!
edit on 26-6-2012 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

Actually Obama himself made the pledge not to take corporate money and it has trickled down into the DNC

Right don't tell these guys that:

www.opensecrets.org...

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Logistics??? Come on!!!

They're flat freaking BROKE!!!

Oh, and about half of the Dems have already opted out of even attending the Convention itself. Pretty soon they'll be able to host this event in a phone booth on some random street corner!

Only the die-hard Kool-aid drinkers still can't see the writing on the wall. Obama gets his clock cleaned in November!

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Wrong election cycle Neo. The "pledge" was made to help pull in the OWS votes. As u know, OWS came after 2008.

But like I said in an earlier post, many still found ways around the pledge.
edit on 26-6-2012 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by kozmo

Oh, and about half of the Dems have already opted out of even attending the Convention itself.

Half???

I'm sure you have a source to back that up...right???

I know the Right is making a big deal out of SIX people not attending because they have campaign events themselves because they are trying to get elected to office...but HALF....really???

I will patiently...very patiently...await your source.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join