It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Death An Illusion? Evidence Suggests Death Isn’t the End

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by NiNjABackflip

re the guy who got hit by a bus: If he received brain damage it would limit communication from the mind to the body. The brain is like a signals and communication centre which acts as a go between the mind and the body. Although the body and brain are actually a product of mind they still obey certain laws and if damaged can restrict understanding and communication as you see with people who have 'learning disabilities'.
Just because the universe is a product of mind does not mean we individully have total control over what happens. All objects are subject to the laws of physics.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iam67

re the guy who got hit by a bus: If he received brain damage it would limit communication from the mind to the body. The brain is like a signals and communication centre which acts as a go between the mind and the body. Although the body and brain are actually a product of mind they still obey certain laws and if damaged can restrict understanding and communication as you see with people who have 'learning disabilities'.
Just because the universe is a product of mind does not mean we individully have total control over what happens. All objects are subject to the laws of physics.

Wait a minute, I thought you said everything—including the body—was a product of the mind. Are you now saying they are in fact separate? How can something in the mind, which you claim is eternal and indestructible, become damaged physically? What you are basically saying in more words is that the mind is the product of the brain. And then immediately afterwords saying that the brain and the body are a product of the mind. This is a contradiction.

Please answer me these:
Why would a mind need to communicate with the body if the body doesn't exist?
Hypothetically, if everyone in the world ignored you, would you disappear?
What about in space where there is no conscious 'observers'. If one man was sent up there with no instruments, no life to observe him, does he disappear?

edit on 3-7-2012 by NiNjABackflip because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I think it all comes down to consciousness. Considering the "hard problem" of consciousness (which science is hogtied by because you can't measure it and it is metaphysical), I believe that our brains (which materialists believe "creates" consciousness) are merely "LOGON IDs" to the "greater" consciousness (call it God's consciousness if you want). I see consciousness as an infinite of pure, inexhaustible, creative potential. It is an energy that fuels the physical realm and all beings within it (including plants). It is the metaphysical and fundamental layer from which all quantum action springs forth and thus, all matter, and thus all beings.

Every single bit of information is contained within it's infinite potential. So, for me, it's impossible that consciousness simply "ends". That's the question, isn't it? Does consciousness end or does it change form?

I believe there are no "forms" of consciousness, only consciousness. The physical manifestations are certainly different. So this is the illusion. But, it's a great one, isn't it? Surreal.

At one point, when I was much younger, I was a monist. But, there is no doubt in my mind now that we're spirit experiencing the physical. By spirit, I mean independent sparks of the greater consciousness. This gives the illusion of "seperation".

When we die, our experience of the physical ends and for a short time after expiration, a transition phase, we experience both the fleeting physical and the approaching infinite.

I feel very bad for people who think "we're worm food when we die". I couldn't imagine it. EVER.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Xaphan

No such thing as death, life is merely a dream/illusion, and we're the imagination of ourselves. That is one thing I agree with Bill Hicks perfectly on.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by InfiniteConsciousness
Every single bit of information is contained within it's infinite potential. So, for me, it's impossible that consciousness simply "ends". That's the question, isn't it? Does consciousness end or does it change form?

I think you're right. Consciousness doesn't end because life doesn't end. Since there is still life on earth when one dies, it is probably right that consciousness continues with the continuation of life. If the planet was destroyed, and life as we know it ended, there would probably be no consciousness.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 03:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by NiNjABackflip

Wait a minute, I thought you said everything—including the body—was a product of the mind. Are you now saying they are in fact separate? How can something in the mind, which you claim is eternal and indestructible, become damaged physically? What you are basically saying in more words is that the mind is the product of the brain. And then immediately afterwords saying that the brain and the body are a product of the mind. This is a contradiction.

Please answer me these:
What about in space where there is no conscious 'observers'. If one man was sent up there with no instruments, no life to observe him, does he disappear?

Body and mind, or should I preferably say, Mind and body. The body is a mental impression held in mind-(notice I said mind and not in your individual mind) They aren't separate entities as the body could not 'exist' without mind. The body is a product of mind.

Why does your mind need to communicate with your body? Your body is an extension or expression of your mind- If you wish to lift your arm you first 'think' I wish to lift my arm.

Your other questions assume that an individual mind creates the universe. The universe is 'created' by a super mind or universal mind without which there would be nothing (no thing) This super mind is made up of many individual minds which together make the super mind. In other words all life forms and that includes the lowest type of mineral up to humans together comprise that which is commonly called 'God' We are all part of the super mind, like grains of sand on a beach. Therefore the super mind or 'God' is not some distant mysterious being outside of us but is actually the conglomerate of all life forms each of which is eventually able to raise their consciousness to experience the totality of the super mind.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Consciousness never ends- it may lay dormant and latent but never ends. Therefore when you 'die' the so called physical vehicle (which in any case is a mental construction) is discarded and breaks down into its basic elements.
In reality death is an illusion- what happens is that you swop one 'plane' of existence for another. The main difference between life and death is that death is a subjective personal dream like world and life is more an objective type of existence.
As a matter of interest, all is not revealed in the death state- life is the place where you learn things- if you are capable.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Please answer me these:

Body and mind, or should I preferably say, Mind and body. The body is a mental impression held in mind-(notice I said mind and not in your individual mind) They aren't separate entities as the body could not 'exist' without mind. The body is a product of mind.

Why does your mind need to communicate with your body? Your body is an extension or expression of your mind- If you wish to lift your arm you first 'think' I wish to lift my arm.

Your other questions assume that an individual mind creates the universe. The universe is 'created' by a super mind or universal mind without which there would be nothing (no thing) This super mind is made up of many individual minds which together make the super mind. In other words all life forms and that includes the lowest type of mineral up to humans together comprise that which is commonly called 'God' We are all part of the super mind, like grains of sand on a beach. Therefore the super mind or 'God' is not some distant mysterious being outside of us but is actually the conglomerate of all life forms each of which is eventually able to raise their consciousness to experience the totality of the super mind.

Thoughts come when they want to, not when you will it. When you want to lift your arm, your brain thinks it, it relays this information to the various muscles involved in raising the arm, and the entire body, working together, lifts the arm. Without the brain, without the arm, without the body, there would be no arm raising. Consequently, without the brain, the body, the arm, there would be no concept of the body and its parts. If everything was a product of the mind, there would be no percepts, thus no idea of what a body is or anything that constitutes the physical world.

You would just be a completely thoughtless and pure mind, like a babies, with no percepts outlining reality.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheSubversiveOne

Thoughts come when they want to, not when you will it. When you want to lift your arm, your brain thinks it, it relays this information to the various muscles involved in raising the arm, and the entire body, working together, lifts the arm. Without the brain, without the arm, without the body, there would be no arm raising. Consequently, without the brain, the body, the arm, there would be no concept of the body and its parts. If everything was a product of the mind, there would be no percepts, thus no idea of what a body is or anything that constitutes the physical world.

You would just be a completely thoughtless and pure mind, like a babies, with no percepts outlining reality.

I can't believe you are serious, more like you are a mischief maker spreading dis-information to keep the populace in ignorance...

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by oghamxx

What evidence? I dont see any evidence. With philosophy. I can make any false statement true and any true statement false. But i dont see any evidence that death is not the end.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by oghamxx

The word death is like a religion. It is a concept attached to a word. It is something we are taught. It never happens us. Just like we where never born. Birth is a taught concept. We do not remember being born. Nor do remember not being here.
The universe is made up from the mind of the observer. It exists only in the mind. Truth is relative to each and every one of us and the universe is our mirror...

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   

I can't believe you are serious, more like you are a mischief maker spreading dis-information to keep the populace in ignorance...

You refuse to refute anything I say, so I immediately become a mischief maker and a charlatan with the will to spread dis-information. Good form. Well let me tell you, it isn't me who's spreading the dis-information, but you. If you are here to make grand claims without evidence, looking for others to fall in line behind your ideas and pat you on the back, you are sadly mistaken.

You sir, cannot be taken seriously.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by VeritasAequitas
reply to post by Xaphan

No such thing as death, life is merely a dream/illusion, and we're the imagination of ourselves. That is one thing I agree with Bill Hicks perfectly on.

I'm sorry but your illusion is an illusion.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I think the life we are living now is just kind of an accident; Like our energy just happened to be recycled into a human conciousness, on this planet. Once we die, I think our energy is recycled again somewhere different, maybe a different plane of consciousness. Once you think about existence, it's really baffling, and I think the life we are experiencing now is only a tiny facet of what "existence" truly is. idk.
The article has an interesting theory.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by jexmix
I think the life we are living now is just kind of an accident; Like our energy just happened to be recycled into a human conciousness, on this planet. Once we die, I think our energy is recycled again somewhere different, maybe a different plane of consciousness. Once you think about existence, it's really baffling, and I think the life we are experiencing now is only a tiny facet of what "existence" truly is. idk.
The article has an interesting theory.

accident and chance has no scientific and philosophical root. we call something chance just because we can not understand it's causes. and about conservation of energy. who has made this rule or are we sure that nowhere it can not get altered. as we know it can. and we call it conservation of mass and energy. is there any reason that shows even this rule can not be altered? and if it wants, it can alter them and make new rules!

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
SPAM removed by Admin
edit on Jul 9th 2012 by Djarums because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
first you make the world in your mind then you make your mind in the world. reality is amount and accuracy of knowledge and why people crave it and are on here, nature doesn't waste so where does all your time go?

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by surfnow
reply to post by oghamxx

What evidence? I dont see any evidence. With philosophy. I can make any false statement true and any true statement false. But i dont see any evidence that death is not the end.

There is plenty of evidence outside of philosophy, which is pretty worthless in my opinion. Experience will actually get you places that philosophy will never get you. Anyway..

If you research Raymond Moody's work you'll find great information. Robert Monroe's work can't be overlooked either. The Monroe Institute has done great things. Thomas Campbell was one of the original physicists that worked with Bob Monroe to provide very strong evidence through statistical analysis that consciousness exists independently from the body and brain. Statistical analysis is used every day by science to prove things. If anyone says there isn't evidence of 'life after death' or consciousness continuing existence independently from the body they would be very wrong and simply need to continue their research to uncover it for themselves.

More than reading the work and listening to people talk, you have to experience it for yourself by learning how to separate your consciousness from your body. This is a subjective experience by design for a good reason. If it could easily be proven objectively then no one would bother with the 'experience' and therefore would learn nothing. Experience is key. Learning about such a fundamental aspect of your existence isn't a trivial thing and contributes greatly to your personal evolution, but like so many things the only way to truly learn and take something of value from it is to experience it.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacemanjupiter

Originally posted by surfnow
reply to post by oghamxx

There is plenty of evidence outside of philosophy, which is pretty worthless in my opinion. Experience will actually get you places that philosophy will never get you. Anyway..

If you research Raymond Moody's work you'll find great information. Robert Monroe's work can't be overlooked either. The Monroe Institute has done great things. Thomas Campbell was one of the original physicists that worked with Bob Monroe to provide very strong evidence through statistical analysis that consciousness exists independently from the body and brain. Statistical analysis is used every day by science to prove things. If anyone says there isn't evidence of 'life after death' or consciousness continuing existence independently from the body they would be very wrong and simply need to continue their research to uncover it for themselves.

More than reading the work and listening to people talk, you have to experience it for yourself by learning how to separate your consciousness from your body. This is a subjective experience by design for a good reason. If it could easily be proven objectively then no one would bother with the 'experience' and therefore would learn nothing. Experience is key. Learning about such a fundamental aspect of your existence isn't a trivial thing and contributes greatly to your personal evolution, but like so many things the only way to truly learn and take something of value from it is to experience it.

Without philosophy, the idea of the mind separate from the body, the idea of consciousness, science, physics, statistical analysis, logic, subjectivism and basically everything you used to fill out your paragraphs wouldn't exist.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by oghamxx

and constants of the universe appear to be exquisitely fine-tuned for the existence of life

The universe isn't fine tuned for life. Life happened because of the conditions of the universe. That's all. If there are other universes with different qualities, but with some kind of squishy, bouncy, slimy, intelligent beings, they will be saying that their universe is fine-tuned for the existence of life.

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join