It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stonhenge Function May Have Been Discovered

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   
I came across an interesting article about the possible function of Stonehenge that I'd like to share with ATS. It's an interesting theory that does make some sense, but I would like to hear what everone else here thinks about it.

Source

The mysteries surrounding Stonehenge have baffled scientists for a very long time. Who built them? Why were they built? How did they even manage to get the stones to the spot? Aliens? Druid priests? All of these questions have been burning holes into peoples brains for centuries.

Teams of archaeologists from the universities of Sheffield, Manchester, Southampton, Bournemouth and University College London have all been working on the project for well over 10 years now. They used a combination of the Stonehenge site itself and their extensive knowledge of the time period in general to piece together a hypothesis.

“When Stonehenge was built, there was a growing island-wide culture – the same styles of houses, pottery and other material forms were used from Orkney to the south coast. This was very different to the regionalism of previous centuries,” Prof Mike Parker Pearson from Sheffield University explained to the Register.

The stones, according to researchers, were put in place by communities as a gesture of the unification of farming communities who decided to lay down their arms and make peace.

The undertaking wasn’t an easy one though. As Prof Pearson explained, “Stonehenge itself was a massive undertaking, requiring the labour of thousands to move stones from as far away as west Wales, shaping them and erecting them. Just the work itself, requiring everyone literally to pull together, would have been an act of unification.”

They also have answers as to why the stones are arranged the way they are. The researches believe that the eight stones stand for different groups of Britain’s earliest farming communities. And that the area that they decided to build Stonehenge wasn’t a mistake either. “The solstice-aligned avenue sits on a series of natural landforms that, by chance, form an axis between the directions of midsummer sunrise and midwinter sunset.”

While I can see an undertaking such as Stonehenge as a unifying endevour, I do have to question the part of the article that states that the solstice alignment was just by chance. It just seems to important for it to be coincidence. It's entirely possible that Stonehenge is a monument built to bring everyone closer together, however, IMO there would also need to be other functions to Stonehenge to go thru all the work it would take to create it.

I'm interested in finding out if anyone else has come across this theory, and knows more about the research done to come to this conclusion. Stonehenge is one of the most mysterious ancient sites in the world, and there are many proposed functions for it, and this theory is only one of many. The question to me is if ancient people would go thru the amount of hard work to create it, just for the reason of unifying the surrounding people. That in itself just doesn't seem to be quite enough reason, especially when looking at the precision of the stones placement, and the alignment with the solstice. In today's world we do often erect monuments for such reasons, but the work to create them is lessened by the use of modern machinery, while the people who created Stonehenge were limited to hard work and simple tools. Would unification be enough of a reason to create such a structure with only these things?

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Unification with the spirit perhaps. IMO, Stonehenge and places like it will always be a place where mystics can congregate, especially during those times of the year, like solstices. They looked to the stars for signs, perhaps because they knew we (at least our bodies) came from stars, literally even.

Farmer unification seems like a cop-out, but maybe it's part of the story. I highly doubt it's the whole story. As you mentioned, the alignments were not by mistake.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   
I always thought it was a landmark for finding the midevil kegger.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by isyeye~snip~

While I can see an undertaking such as Stonehenge as a unifying endevour, I do have to question the part of the article that states that the solstice alignment was just by chance. It just seems to important for it to be coincidence. ~snip~

You misunderstand. It wasn't the site selection and alignment of the stones w/respect to the solstices that was "by chance" it was the pre-existing natural landforms that lined up with the solstices that was by chance, which is what led to that particular site selection.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   
They showed its true function already. It was a trap for the Doctor.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

I agree about it's location. If it was solely for the purpose of integration between the eight groups, then surely it would have been sited in a more centralised location, instead of being in Wiltshire? Making some groups travel far further than others, solely with the aim of bringing the groups more together, would surely have been somewhat counter productive?

Plus the abundance of ley lines, etc, in this particular area. There are too many coincidences when you look at the location to say this was the sole purpose.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I'm not having a problem with s oltice alignment and farming. The farmers would have to know when to plant, and when to harvest. Today, we have the Farmer's Almanac. Perhaps this is the Neolithic equivalent?

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
There is already a thread about this.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
yes i believe that it was used for unification of the peoples but also had primary use of being a farmers almanac and a religious site i think the reason for its location is for the aliments of the solstice there for some had to travel further than others

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   
I've been kicking the idea around since we are on a conspiracy site , that since it is circular and a stone block in the middle that it could have been a landing pad and the stone alter was where the beings appeared.

There is so much about our we do not know of or we do and they aren't saying a word.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
nice article and intresting information keep up the good work.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druid42
I'm not having a problem with s oltice alignment and farming. The farmers would have to know when to plant, and when to harvest. Today, we have the Farmer's Almanac. Perhaps this is the Neolithic equivalent?

Really? Some slight problems with this theory though, firstly Stonehenge took 1500 years to build according to archaeologists

the building of the monument at the site began around the year 3100 BC and ended around the year 1600 BC.

See Here

I think this whole theory is bunk to be honest. You wouldn't plan to build something over a 1500 year period so farmers would know when to plant their crops.

Secondly farmers don't plant on the solstice, they plant closer to the vernal equinox, in March, not in June.

Nor would you spend 1500 years building something to commemorate a unification of tribes, no peace between people lasts that long, also how did the following generations have any idea what it was about, there was no written langues to pass it on.

This theory has come about because they just don't have any clue what so ever and they are trying to justify their employment and research grants

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I thought they were ancient 16x9s

and they'd pound on their 808 leather snare drums???

put ya in a trance.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
We need a similar global effort. A tower of babel. A titanic effort to unite humanity.

We need it. Something to remind us of what we are capable of together.

I say a moon city that can be seen from earth. Something we can look up to and know we did it together.

A titanic monument to mankind. Lets build it. Lets see our future as one world.

Remember the moon landing. The world held its breath. We saw that event as one world.

Imagine that feeling of unification every time we look up at the moon. Like the ancient people of england looked at what they built together.

Off topic maybe but this just convinces me that this is what our ancients did in times of great war.

new topics

top topics

join