It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LA Times - California Sinking

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   
LA Times - California Sinking

Sea levels along the California coast are expected to rise up to 1 foot in 20 years, 2 feet by 2050 and as much as 5 1/2 feet by the end of the century, climbing slightly more than the global average and increasing the risk of flooding and storm damage, a new study says.

That's because much of California is sinking, extending the reach of a sea that is warming and expanding because of climate change, according to a report by a committee of scientists released Friday by the National Research Council.

Report available here

It's a while before Los Angeles will be underwater, but it IS coming. And all it'll take is an earthquake to change the ground level and it will be there faster. Not to mention the fact that California will be even more at risk to tsunamis. I"m wondering about the nuke plants out there ... I"m wondering about displacement of people ... I'm wondering about the economic toll ....

Something the next generation will have to deal with probably more than us, but still ... it's coming.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Actually it's the same for any area of a coastal region that sits below sea level; it's basic common sense!

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Awwww, I was hopin this was about Cali sinkin into the ocean and opening up Nevada as beach front property.

Im still waiting patiently for that to happen BTW

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Well, i guess we dont have to wonder what our future is going to be like....very radio active!
I wonder how many trillions we will have to spend to deactivate the nukers near the sea already?
Of course it hasnt been spoken of much, but the rivers and akes of the world will also have to rise signifigantly as well....with the rise in ocean water, evapouration will provide much more rains and snows....rivers and lakes will grow.
Lots of iinland structures in danger then too...but its not mentioned much by science...just the oceans....
The man made climate change being disproved, aparently, what then is working to warm the earth, and her solar compaanions to the point of calamity?
It seems to be forces of which we would have very little control even if we really did know whats happening doesnt it?

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Unfortunately I have had to spend several years living out in California. Most of the people there should not be missed by the rest of the species.

I don't think it is going to be any great loss.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   
I remember seeing a bit on TV about if a quake hit just right that California could slid off the continental shelf into the ocean. In fact everything from San Andreas Fault out would end up in the ocean. They said the tsunami created could reach speeds of Mach 1. Hawaii would be washed away as would most of Japan. When it hit China the wave could take out low flying planes at 5000 to 10000 feet up. I forget how far inland they said it would go. They said the wave would travel around the world not just once but several times. That would be a very bad day for tehw whole world if it ever happened.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I'm sure 'California Sinking' isn't news to anyone. I just found the article intersting. It'll be the next generation .. or the next .. that will have major problems out there. Unless an earthquake speeds it all up. I'm thinking nuke plants .. and a california fukashima comes to mind ...

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
I'm sure 'California Sinking' isn't news to anyone. I just found the article intersting. It'll be the next generation .. or the next .. that will have major problems out there. Unless an earthquake speeds it all up. I'm thinking nuke plants .. and a california fukashima comes to mind ...

This maps shows only 2 nuke plants but that is more than enough. I did not know the east where I live had so many plants.

www.nukepills.com...
edit on 6/26/2012 by fixer1967 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by fixer1967
I remember seeing a bit on TV about if a quake hit just right that California could slid off the continental shelf into the ocean. In fact everything from San Andreas Fault out would end up in the ocean. They said the tsunami created could reach speeds of Mach 1. Hawaii would be washed away as would most of Japan. When it hit China the wave could take out low flying planes at 5000 to 10000 feet up. I forget how far inland they said it would go. They said the wave would travel around the world not just once but several times. That would be a very bad day for tehw whole world if it ever happened.

that's worst case scenario for a megaquake. i don't think it will happen any time soon but... it's not out of the realm of possibility.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

Comments like this make me sick.

You should never wish death upon an entire state of people.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I'm sorry - but sea levels rising 1 foot isn't news - especially if it is going to take 20 years to realize - I predict LA will be in ruins in 10 years - the place is sitting on fault lines - it has volcanic tar pits - the place is toast.... its pretty cool toast like raisin bread toast though... thanks for sharing...

new topics

top topics

join