Complements from my great old friend how right he is.
Bible Reading: John 10:22 -30.
Aim: To prove from the Bible that when Jesus Christ saves us, He keeps us saved forever.
We cannot lose Christ's salvation.
Introduction: Many religions that teach works for salvation, also teach that we can lose
salvation. This follows logically because if we are saved partly or wholly by our works, then
we can fail to keep up the good works and hence lose salvation. The truth is that if we call
on Christ to save us, and He saves us, then He keeps us saved forever. The following
scriptures show this:
1. "I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish." John 10:28.
• This is an unconditional guarantee.
• Eternal life means saved for eternity.
• What does "never perish" mean?
2. "Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will
perform it until the day of Jesus Christ." Philippians 1:6.
• Christ will perform His work in us to the Second Coming.
3. "The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD... Though he fall, he shall not be
utterly cast down: for the LORD upholdeth him with his hand ... The LORD .. forsaketh
not his saints; they are preserved for ever." Psalms 37:23-28.
• Four times God tells us that He keeps us saved.
4. "For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor
powers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other
creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus
our Lord." Romans 8:38,39.
• For a born again believer to be lost, he must somehow be separated from the love
of God, and become an object of God's wrath. Paul says that this is impossible.
5. "Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him,
seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them." Hebrews 7:25.
"to the uttermost" means "forever."
6. "By his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal
redemption for us." Hebrews 9:12.
• Redemption means to buy back by paying a price. Since we have an eternal
redemption, we are redeemed for all eternity.
7. "... receive the promise of eternal inheritance." Hebrews 9:15.
• Our inheritance is for eternity.
• Our eternal inheritance is promised by God.
8. "And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the
heavenly." 1 Corinthians 15:49.
• "Shall" means that it is a certainty that we will bear the heavenly image.
9. "To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved
in heaven for you, who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation
ready to be revealed in the last time." 1 Peter 1:4,5.
• Six times God tells us that we are secure forever.
• "Fadeth not away" means perpetual.
10. "I am persuaded that He is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against
that day." 2 Timothy 1:12.
• Paul had committed the keeping of his soul to Christ. He was sure that Christ would
keep him saved to his heavenly kingdom.
11. "The Lord shall deliver me from every evil work, and will preserve me unto his
heavenly kingdom..." 2 Timothy 4:18.
• The Lord will deliver us and preserve us.
12. "Who shall also confirm you unto the END, that ye may be blameless in the day of
our Lord Jesus Christ. God is faithful ..." 1 Corinthians 1:8,9.
13. "When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in
glory." Colossians 3:4.
• Ye shall appear with Christ in glory, no if's or but's.
14. "This is the promise that he hath promised us, even eternal life." 1 John 2:25.
"In hope of eternal life which God, that cannot lie, promised.." Titus 1:2.
• God has promised eternal life to us, and He cannot lie.
15. "Him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out." John 6:37
• If we come to Jesus Christ for salvation, He will not cast us out of salvation.
16. "If our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an
house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens." 2 Cor. 5:1.
• We know that if our body dies, we go to heaven for eternity.
17. "And this is the record, that God has given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son.
"He that has the Son has life ... that ye may KNOW that ye have eternal life." 1 John
• God has recorded that we may know that we have eternal life in Christ.
18. "Whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life."
"For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever
believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
"He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life ..." John 3:15, 16, 36.
• Twice God says that we will not perish.
• Three times God says that we have eternal life.
19. "There is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner that repents." Luke
• If we could lose salvation, angels would not rejoice at salvation, but when we enter
• If we could lose salvation, we could not know for sure, as 1 John 5:13 says we can
20. "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of
God: not of works lest any man should boast." Ephesians 2: 8, 9.
• God is very zealous for us to know that God alone is responsible for man's salvation.
Every argument against the eternal security of the believer is based on the human
element. As God definitely excludes all human element in salvation, every one of
these arguments is thereby ruled out.
21. "Therefore it is of faith, that it might be by grace; to the end the promise might be sure
to all the seed ..." Romans 4:16.
• Eternal life is promised,
• it is sure,
• it is to all believers.
Question: If we receive salvation by faith and not by the works of the law (good
works), then why is it necessary to keep the law (to keep up good works) in order to
22. "Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the
saints, and of the household of God." Ephesians 2:19.
• All who truly know Christ as their Saviour, are already "citizens" of heaven, enrolled
and registered in heaven.
23. Six times God says that we can KNOW that we have eternal life:
i) "that believe in the name of the Son of God; that ye may KNOW that ye have
1 John 5:13.
ii) "now are we the sons of God,… we KNOW that, when he shall appear we shall be
like him.” I John 3:2.
iii) "we KNOW that ... we have ... an house eternal in the heavens." 2 Corinthians
iv) "KNOWING that he which raised up the Lord Jesus, shall raise up us also by
Jesus, and shall present us with you." 2 Corinthians 4:14.
v) "Do ye not KNOW that the saints shall judge the world?
KNOW ye not that we SHALL judge angels? 1 Corinthians 6:2,3.
vi) "be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch
as ye KNOW that your labour is not in vain in the Lord." 1 Corinthians 15:58.
If we lead a person to Christ, then they lost salvation, our labour would be a waste of
time, in vain. However, it is not in vain, because God keeps them saved, even if they
24. "I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee." Hebrews 13:5.
25. "For by one offering He hath perfected forever them that are sanctified." Hebrews
26. Eleven things that “SHALL BE”, prove that Christ keeps us saved.
There is no question about whether or not certain things will be so.
It is plainly stated that they “SHALL BE”.
i) "Then shall ye also appear with him in glory." Colossians 3:4.
ii) "Being now justified by His blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him."
iii) "They which receive the gift of righteousness shall reign in life." Romans 5:17.
iv) "He that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies."
v) "The glory which shall be revealed in us." Romans 8:18.
vi) "Who shall also confirm you unto the end." 1 Corinthians 1:8.
vii) "We shall also bear the image of the heavenly." 1 Corinthians 15:49.
Written to those at Corinth and "in every place." 1 Corinthians 1:2.
viii) We shall all be changed." 1 Corinthians 15:51.
ix) "Shall raise up us also by Jesus, and shall present us with you." 2 Corinthians
x) "When he shall appear, we shall be like Him ..." 1 John 3:2.
xi) "We shall judge angels." 1 Corinthians 6:3.
27. "The gifts and calling of God are without repentance." Romans 11:29.
• Eternal life is a gift from God. Romans 6:23.
• Holy Spirit is a gift from God. 1 Thessalonians 4:8.
• Righteousness is a gift from God. Romans 5:17.
God will not take back His gifts.
28. Sin is not charged against us.
"Their sins and iniquities will I remember no more." Hebrews 10:17.
“God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto Himself, not imputing their trespasses
unto them.” 2 Corinthians 5:19.
29. Chastening proves salvation's permanency.
Chastening is a corrective discipline to purify our life, like "child training".
God chastens us now in this life, in love when we sin to return us to His will.
"My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked
of him. For whom the Lord loveth, he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he
receiveth. If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is
he whom the Father chasteneth not? But if ye be without chastisement, whereof ALL
are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons." Hebrews 12:5-8.
• Three results of chastening in Hebrews 12:9-11 are:
i) we give God reverence;
ii) for our profit - we learn holiness;
iii) yielding the peaceable fruit of righteousness.
• Two methods of chastening in I Corinthians 11:29,30 are: i) sickness; and ii)
"When we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be
condemned with the world." 1 Corinthians 11:31,32.
30. Our destiny is to be conformed to the image of His Son, not to be lost.
"For whom he did foreknow, He also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of
His Son .. called ... justified ... glorified." Romans 8:29,30.
31. We are indwelt and sealed by the Holy Spirit unto the day of redemption.
"Grieve not the Holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption."
"I will pray the Father, and He shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide
with you forever; even the Spirit of truth." John 14:16.
Question: Did Jesus promise that the Holy Spirit will abide with them until they became
lost? NO! Forever.
32. Christ is our Advocate and Intercessor.
Question: If sin in a believer's life will cause him to be condemned, then for what
purpose is Christ our Advocate or Intercessor?
"Christ who also maketh intercession for us." Romans 8:34.
"He ever liveth to make intercession for us." Hebrews 7:25.
"If any man sin, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.” 1
33. Our union with Christ, means we are in Christ.
i) Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular." I Corinthians 12:27.
Question: Will Christ permit his body to be dismembered? No.
ii) Our sin was counted as Christ's, now we have Christ's righteousness.
"He hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the
righteousness of God in him." 2 Corinthians 5:21.
iii) "If children, then heirs, ... joint heirs with Christ." Romans 8:17.
Because I am "in Christ", my eternal future is linked to Christ's as a joint heir.
If Christ can be lost, so can I.
Security, not fear, produces Godly living. Romans 12:12; 1 Corinthians 6:15.
Loss of salvation is never threatened.
edit on 7/1/12 by GENERAL EYES because: amended all-caps title