It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need Advice, What's The Best & Worst On The Idiot Box These Days?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 02:27 AM
link   
I've held out as long as I could, but I've been over ruled, and television is about to come back into my life here at home after years of blissful silence and lack of visual & psychological traumatic programing.

I don't live like the Amish in Antarctica, I do watch some good shows online weekly, commercial free. I limit my alpha waves intake and substitute it with Wifi and cell phone transmissions, just so I don't feel left out.

Here's "some" of the shows I've enjoyed within a 10-15 yr time span, in no particular order:

Diff'rent Strokes - Good Times - Sanford & Son - The Jeffersons - The Love Boat - Alice - The A-Team - V - (Visitors) - Knight Rider - Cheers - Night Court - Highway To Heaven - Hell Town - Golden Girls - ALF - Punky Brewster - Who's The Boss - Family Ties - Battlestar Galactica - Matlock - St. Elsewhere - Hunter - Columbo - Barney Miller - The Simpsons - Archie Bunker - Gimme A Break! - Happy Days - Misfits Of Science - Greatest American Hero - Growing Pains - The Cosby Show - Laverne & Shirley - Remington Steel - Mork & Mindy - Married With Children - M*A*S*H* - Barney Miller - Star Trek - All - Rosanne - Seinfeld - Benson - Silver Spoons - L.A. Law - Taxi - The Brady Bunch - Eight Is Enough - The Waltons - The Facts Of Life - The Munsters - Addams Family - Odd Couple - Quincy - Three's Company - One Day At A Time

Here's what I like now:

Family Guy
Falling Skies
Walking Dead
Southpark
Beavis & Butthead
Aqua Teen Hunger Force
Modern Family
Tosh.0
Check It Out: With Dr. Steve Brule
& about 5 other misc. shows.

Is it me, or has Television changed A LOT?

It's mind numbing now.... can anyone suggest shows that won't lower my IQ anymore than it is?

edit on 26-6-2012 by JibbyJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

In my opinion the best is - Turner Classic Movies.

The worst - reality shows.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 02:33 AM
link   
In my humble opinion:-

The Best: Big Bang Theory (Gotta love Sheldon - unique character is an understatement)
The Worst: MSM news outlets diatribe

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi

I don't live like the Amish in Antarctica

can anyone suggest shows that won't lower my IQ anymore than it is?

edit on 26-6-2012 by JibbyJedi because: (no reason given)

And how DO the Amish in Antarctica live.

The Law and Order type shows. That, and Fraser was an adult comedy but you'll have to get the episodes on DVD. They still air the re-runs through syndication, but I would really recommend getting all 10 or 11 seasons. It's smart, classy comedy.

Watch the educational channels like PBS, History, Discovery, Home and Garden, things like that. Just because you turn on the T.V. doesn't mean you have to watch sitcoms.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 02:36 AM
link   

I can appreciate every show you listed lol. I still sing the theme songs for the Greatest American Hero and St. Elsewhere. When I was over ruled in my house I also got an XBOX 360 with a gold membership and all I allow is Netflix instant streaming. Its cheaper than cable, there are no commercials and I can watch what I want when I want not having to follow a guide.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Most of the shows you posted that you watch now, I watch... umm..

I''d say Futurama (comedy central), and Breaking Bad. (amc) Kng of the Hill is funny to, Dale Gribble is a conspiracy guy like us here

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 02:39 AM
link   

I've not really watched a lot of tv shows, always stuck with movies.

Jibby, you need to see the television show called: Boardwalk Empire.

Steve Buschemi got his own show.

It's about the prohibition in the '20s.

I think there are two seasons out, third is on it's way.

And for the funny: Boondocks = pure genius.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Continuum is ok, actually it looks really good but from that you can expect it to be cancelled before season 2..
True blood, but then I'm into that evil stuff, and it's not teeny bopper twaddle full of malnourished anemic homosexual vampires.
Dexter = awesome - who can hate a serial killer who moonlights as a blood spatter analyst
Breaking Bad - shhhhhhh even tho an amigo had the main dude as an avatar once, it's against the T&C.
Much of anything with ross kemp.
Sons of Anarchy - despite them riding cheesy bikes, the story has come a long good way!
Spartacus, all 3 versions. Very gory, very graphic, very bloody good!
Sometimes DR Who. Hey have a good plot then throw you for a six by having a stupid stupid story..
Torchwood - ^^
Black books - UK comedy well over with, but Dylan Moran just makes anything funny and Bill Bailey is like the cream on top.
Noel Fielding in anything. Mighty Boosh/Comedy Luxury. You need to have an acquired taste however. Bizarre.

Not a lot really.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agarta

I can appreciate every show you listed lol. I still sing the theme songs for the Greatest American Hero and St. Elsewhere. When I was over ruled in my house I also got an XBOX 360 with a gold membership and all I allow is Netflix instant streaming. Its cheaper than cable, there are no commercials and I can watch what I want when I want not having to follow a guide.

I submitted that same argument! Netflix on Xbox and the cpu, even Hulu (Cthulhu the dark one), and some of those sites whose links vanish in a day or 2.... just to save money.

I only have the Xbox Silver membership though. I know myself, and I'm in rehab from MMORPG's.
If I get Gold Xbox LIVE, there goes my relationship and money and pretty much years of my life.
I don't want to miss the Mayan's end of the world event because I'm trying to level up my Jedi Bounty Hunter character.

I lost years of my life on MMO's, I've been on the Methadone offline Xbox for yrs now.

I just don't want to accidentally run into a Snooki and not be able to turn away from the horror!
Like Walker Texas Ranger.... I just can't stop watching the Fail, it's never ending!

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 02:47 AM
link   
For me the best shows on TV right now are Boardwalk Empire, Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy, Through The Wormhole with Morgan Freeman, How The Universe Works, The Universe, American Dad. Thats all I can think of right now. NatGeo & The Science channel is pretty sweet. The worst would be any reality show...

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 02:51 AM
link   
I love all of your OLD TV picks! I'm a huge retro and nostalgia fan & you can always find me watching "Comedy Gold" or any classic sitcom/series.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 02:55 AM
link   

I hear you with the gaming. I was still playing CoD and Oblivion when Skyrim came out lol. If its any consolation Netflix does have a streaming box real cheap. We get 2 discs out at a time and unlimited streaming, but they have an unlimited streaming by itself cheap too. I think Cthulu does too but I dont know for sure on that.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 02:57 AM
link   
reply to post by TopherWayne

I've been giving The Cleveland Show a chance for a while, American Dad has disappointed.
Game Of Thrones looks like it'll bore me before I get into the plot.
Sons Of Anarchy... ehh.

Spike's - World Worst Tenants - looks good so far though. Kinda like Repo Games too.

reply to post by BoyMeetsWorldATS

I love all of your OLD TV picks! I'm a huge retro and nostalgia fan & you can always find me watching "Comedy Gold" or any classic sitcom/series.

Are there any awesome theme songs now like back in the day? For real?
The 70s-80s theme songs are miles ahead of all the non-imagination inputted into today's shows. Back in the day... I watched the frikken show because the theme song was so tight.... now, I can't get past the ADHDTV 7 sec. swtich cam intros that give me seizures.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by TopherWayne
For me the best shows on TV right now are Boardwalk Empire, Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy, Through The Wormhole with Morgan Freeman, How The Universe Works, The Universe, American Dad. Thats all I can think of right now. NatGeo & The Science channel is pretty sweet. The worst would be any reality show...

Ohh Ohh Ohhh !! I forgot Game Of Thrones!

Brilliant show.

Add that to my list, again, the acting and story catch you. Not as gory as spartacus, but still has it's moments.

And who does not want to punch joffrey in the nose!!!

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 03:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

Got the Gold Membership back up. Battlefield 3 = big explosions, sniper rifle vs. helicopter - is really good fun.

But while the sun is out, my controller has been catching dust. Like Netflix, did they just stop adding new movies or have I just seen them all?

Jibby: Another good show, especially the last two episodes, is Rome. Really in depth, lots of espionage and plot twists, with minimal soap-opera-filler.
edit on 26-6-2012 by ThinkingCap because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 03:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
I've been giving The Cleveland Show a chance for a while, American Dad has disappointed.
Game Of Thrones looks like it'll bore me before I get into the plot.
Sons Of Anarchy... ehh.

Game of thrones gets into the story before you know it. Like a very naughty Borgias.

SoA tho, you really need to like that sort of thing. The story does take a while. But by crikey when it gets you, you wish you'd waited for the whole season in one go, because a week to wait just is too long. But it does need more than one season, I hated it at first, but the story really went mad. IRA, Bikers, Mexican Cartels, stolen babies, plots to kill, hehe.. maybe it's just me

But as you mention the Cleveland show... *runs away* I gave up on that after the second episode. Just didn't get into it, and I love American Dad/Family Guy.. well, unless they do a real shocker which only the simpsons can do.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 03:09 AM
link   
best=game of thrones
worst=anything that is a reality show that involves guidos or housewifes and most of the stuff in between

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 03:15 AM
link   
reply to post by ThinkingCap

Well hey TC long time,

Yah I have to clean off my controllers each night myself and trying to find anything to watch other than the shows I have in the Que without getting online to pick them is difficult as all my suggestions are kids shows lol. Every time I think I cant find anything something else pops up lol. I especially like when the new seasons come out that keeps me entertained.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 03:21 AM
link   
I have w HUGE sense of humor, I'm into a wide variety of shows. I just hate stupidity.

Jersey Shore and the Kardashians are my Kryptonite, they are the beginning of the end of what television "use to be"... we've traversed into a new realm of marketing and idiocy for entertainment.

For my revenge for the current regime about to enter my home, I play this video at "full volume" every now & then, just as a warning of what's to come.... it also works with wild coyotes & rodents...

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Are there any awesome theme songs now like back in the day? For real?
The 70s-80s theme songs are miles ahead of all the non-imagination inputted into today's shows. Back in the day... I watched the frikken show because the theme song was so tight.... now, I can't get past the ADHDTV 7 sec. swtich cam intros that give me seizures.

Good question! I love me a good theme song.

To be honest, there mustn't be a single decent theme song in todays shows because nothing comes to mind! Either the fluoride+MSG-Combo is having it's intended affect on me or possibly my slim selection is to blame.. Not quite sure.

If I think of any in the next 4 hours, I'll edit this post with my findings

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join