It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rhode Island passes Bill Of Rights for the homeless

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Rhode Island Becomes First State To Pass Bill Of Rights For The Homeless

Throughout the last few years, conservatives have literally treated the homeless like garbage. In some states, people are being arrested for daring to help the homeless, and Republicans across the country seek to eliminate crucial funding that assists the homeless in finding shelter, food, water, and other necessities. This is all the more tragic when one considers that veterans make up a large portion of the homeless population. The homeless are less protected than everyone else in this country. They have found it difficult to vote and have been discriminated against by businesses who do not want to hire them whether they are experienced and skilled for the job or not. But Rhode Island is stepping up to the plate for the homeless, and from now on, homeless people will have their own Bill of Rights in at least one state.

The Providence-Journal reports that under this bill, the homeless will have: The right to seek and keep a job even if a person does not have permanent housing The right to use public spaces such as sidewalks, public parks, public transportation, public buildings The right to emergency medical care free from discrimination The right to vote and register to vote

Way to go Rhode Island! Hopefully others will follow and do the same .

Linky
edit on 25-6-2012 by wewillnotcomply666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I always like conversing with the homeless when I'm waiting at an intersection.
I used to know them all around my local area.
Now there are more and more everyday just holding up their signs about why they need money.
I get free bottles waters at work and i like to give them water battles if they spread a message for me on their signs i have had my fun with giving them signs about the zombie apocalypse when all those reports in the news came out.

I use them to spread the truth they are my friends

I help them they help me.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
The bill of rights should already cover these people shouldnt it?

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Thankfully around my area there is not a large number of homeless, but i aswell know them all by name and chat to them regularly. Buy them newspapers and the 2$double cheeseburgers at maccas whenever i can . sonme of the stories they come out with are better than any i can get out of the majority of the people who have not seen the things some homeless people have .
Not too sure about handing them signs about the zombie apocolypse lol. kinda adding the the stereotype that theyre all crazy cooks with tinfoil hats and shizz. but im still laughing my ass off picturing it haha

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by stirling

It definitely should .
edit on 25-6-2012 by wewillnotcomply666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by wewillnotcomply666

I think this is wonderful! I just hope and pray that all the other states... follow Rhode Island's example.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea

I think this is wonderful! I just hope and pray that all the other states... follow Rhode Island's example.

I hope so as well. although it is unlikely , its not wrong to wish ... lol

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   

I get them 99 cent snackers from KFC from time to time...but we are getting way off topic LOL

About the bill, I'm pretty sure they already have all those rights or used to have back in the day then some rotten apples had to ruin it for the whole bunch..u know which ones im talking about the dangerous ones that don't know how to behave in society and have no moral undestanding of society.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 12:25 AM
link   
I'm glad to see some compassion in America! We need more good news like stories like these.

People often don't choose to be homeless, and I've met many homeless people that were decent people with bad luck.

Just because a person is homeless, they shouldn't be treated any different from any member of society. It's a tough world for many people.

I think laws like this will ultimately protect the freedom of people in the USA.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by InFriNiTee

Here's some more good news i just found reading local news
www.krgv.com...
Too bad it will be removed by the end of this year.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Happy that my state is doing something good!

top topics

join