It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need help choosing my weapon

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Here is a place to get a parts kit to build a 1911 cheap:
e-sarcoinc.com...

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   
For the price of a quality AR or 1911 you could get yourself a Beretta M9 (92fs) AND an AK. I don't care so much for the 7.62x39 but for the price, relaiability and availibility, it's hard not to consider it. As for the M9, you can double the ammo capacity of the 1911.

In the end its all about your comfort and skill level. If you can't afford the two guns you want then at least be sure you get two you can trust.

If you do decide to go with a 1911, I stongly suggest a Kimber. They are pricey but you wont regret it.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
DPMS has a serious problem with milling their parts in a proprietary form. Meaning that Mil Spec parts are not going to be an option should you require new parts.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
If you are in an actual SHTF, then the first thing that runs out, EVERYWHERE, will be the tiny bits of metal you all like throwing at each other, from a distance, like little girls afraid to get blood on your dresses. Get an axe and a short sword or a long knife. They do not run out of bullets, jam, or require the application of a toolshed to fix if they are damaged. You literally need just a rough stone for sharpening, and arms that can do hard work.

They are also brilliant tactically speaking, because with careful application, they are silent weapons and versatile to boot. You can use both these things to assist in the erection of temporary shelter, the preparation of wood for a fire, and the gutting and skinning of animals and other foodstuffs. Try gutting a trout with an M4. See how long you last on the exploded mess you will make.

The fact is that when it ALL goes to hell, the most important thing to a survivor are not going to be the amount of buttock they can firmly place boots on, but the ability to get food out of the environment, and get the most out of the terrain over which they will be moving ( and if things have REALLY gone to hell, then moving around, mostly without vehicular transport, will be the directive of most importance).

If what you really mean is, you want a noisy, dirty, limp wristers weapon, then I cant help you. You want to go for the good stuff, go for a blade.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

indeed

the most powerful weapon on earth
only fires neurons.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Erectus

I'd go with the firepower. In a social collapse scenario, concealed carry is useless. I think concealing your weapon would encourage predators.

You are going to want to let all potential threats know that you are heavily armed and motivated.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by michaelbrux
reply to post by Erectus

I'd go with the firepower. In a social collapse scenario, concealed carry is useless. I think concealing your weapon would encourage predators.

You are going to want to let all potential threats know that you are heavily armed and motivated.

One should have the tools they need for mitigating likely scenarios. Sometimes you want firepower eithet covert or overt depending of situations encountered. Sometimes you need a blade. Sometimes a stick or a rock will do. Remain flexible and your enemies will not be able to break you.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit

If what you really mean is, you want a noisy, dirty, limp wristers weapon, then I cant help you. You want to go for the good stuff, go for a blade.

Do you hunt often with a "blade"? If so, I am curious of your methods and success rates...

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Erectus
Self defense under any and all circumstances.

edit on 25-6-2012 by Erectus because: (no reason given)

If this is the purpose, get yourself a high quality 12 guage. Using a handgun for home defense is dangerous and irresponsible.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
For the price of either the 1911 or DPMS, you could buy a Tokarev TT33 and an SKS and still have money left over for all the ammo you need. For a little more money, you can get a 9mm barrel and bushing for the Tokarev and now you have two pistols in one. Why limit yourself to one expensive weapon, when what you would really need is a proven design with little need of maintenance and low cost ammunition.

If you are dead set on the 1911 or DPMS, go with the rifle, you can get food with it easier than a pistol.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 02:13 AM
link   

I think multiple knives are a standard as well.An Al Mar Warrior and a Gerber Mk2 are a good combo.You should have a good multitool and a stilletto as well. Add a Tracker blade and I'm covered
Axes are ok, but if you use it alot some people would single you out and besides I don't need the extra weight.
As to the girly comment you could be dropped by a .22 and I won't be killed without my 20 count,just going in a berserker's rage is a problem I have as well (usually I'm drunk when it happens)so in order to function on a modern battle field I'll keep my guns and I ain't no girl by any stretch of imagination.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Erectus

Spring rates, usually measured in lbs., have many functions. You should always go with the heavier spring when running hotter than standard factory ammo. Generally, when building or upgrading a 1911, the springs are always replaced or chosen by availability or price. But, when you start re-loading or playing with +P ammo, you MUST adjust spring rate to dampen the extra recoil. This will help reduce damage to the weapon and also assist with FTF's (failure to feed) and cycle rate.

My dream trio would be:

Sidearm: Fabrique Nationale FN-57
Rifle: Alexander Arms AR in 6.5 Grendel with 5.7x28 upper conversion
Shotgun: Saiga 12 converted (basically an AK that shoots 12 ga.)

But now we are at around $4,000...

I did say I was dreaming...lol

As for Taurus being forged...Look up "investment casting". A process created and refined by Ruger.
Basically, they take a cast part and heat treat it. Sometimes in spots and sometimes the whole part. It allows them to say "Forged" in their description, but the absence of any machine and tool marks, should be your first clue...Crap with gold plating is still crap. Which makes me think of Kimber! But that is a whole new thread...

edit on 27-6-2012 by GoOfYFoOt because: Oh, and to concur with my compadres, never underestimate the value of a few good blades...

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by YachtDoc13

You dont hunt with a blade. You hunt with traps, which you construct using a blade, or with a bow, which you use your blades to construct from raw materials. Either way is near enough silent, and will not scare away other prey animals nearly as much as a bloody great booming cordite detonation will. You then use the blades you have to skin and carve your prey. You can use them also to assist in pruning edible plants from your surroundings, and use them also to prepare the rudimentary ingredients of a broth, stew, or soup.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   

True enough...BUT! What if I prefer active hunting over passive? I'd rather know then hope. Traps are a vital back up plan. My primary plan will always be a firearm for hunting. My .308 never slips over an animals leg...

Sorry for being so far off topic....

If a blade was my only option(as it is for you) then I would most likely do as you suggest. You work with what you have available. Your tools are silent and mine go boom.
edit on 2-7-2012 by YachtDoc13 because: lol

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Erectus
Self defense under any and all circumstances.

This

www.mossberg.com...

Affordable, effective,easy to use. I have one in my vehicle and one under my bed.
edit on 2-7-2012 by Thunderheart because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Thunderheart

Can't go wrong with a mossberg for self defense.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 03:39 AM
link   
Personally I would think of it in a different light. For example, it's nice to have a firearm at your side, but should a scenario occur, you may be able to find the weapon and ammunition that you desire, wherever you go. Be it on someone's corpse as LeTan has said, or steal it at a store. In the event of a revolution, nuclear holocaust, or any other given doomsday scenario, it's expected to be able to find weapons one place or another unless the government has ceased most of it before hand.

With that in mind, it would be ideal to have weapons that don't rely on ammunition and can also be used if wet or full of sand. However, when others are walking around with fire-arms, your bo-staff or your army knife won't get you very far unless you perform some amazing stunts.

The ideal weapon for any circumstance is one that will survive any situation, and guns aren't that way but they are powerful. That's the trade-off. Honestly, it's like a game, do you want to be a mage with distant attack but be weak in close combat, or do you want to be strong in close-combat but weak at a distance? Survival also requires you to carry light and burn as little energy as possible, so I'd suggest not walking around with a chainsaw, a shotgun, and an uzi.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 05:20 AM
link   
if every one went to work got off the plastic the all amercan way spend more than you have will only make you a slave buy a gun& blow your brains out..some of use are trying to feed our family i cant wate untill they go nuts, ill get to set back in the woods and stop working for the man.and do a little more fishing & hunting your poodle will be good fryed...for now ill teach my kids how to skin a dear, work hard for what they get, dont buy it if you cant pay for it.my banker shakes my hand his poodle will taste good fryed to, hehe my 303 is for long range my shot gun is for food much cheaper my 303 is over $1.00 a bullet

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by madenusa

Mmmm. Fried poodle. Did your'e wife/sister teach you that recipe?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join