It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elliot lake, Ontario Mall Collapse- Survivors trapped, Rescue Abandoned

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Eliiot lake Mall - Survivors trapped, Rescue Abandoned

www.theglobeandmai l.com

Rescue crews have been called off the scene of a fatal mall collapse in Elliot Lake, Ontario: The structure is simply too dangerous to send people into.
(visit the link for the full news article)

What do you guys think, quit or keep gowing?
edit on 25-6-2012 by Shadow Herder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I have been following this on the news here in Ontario.

There is reports that 30 people may be trapped, one dead and one for sure as they detected life and tapping but they pulled out.

In the area there are many mine rescue teams who are now being asked to help.

How horrible knowing someone is trapped and you have to make the decision to pull out and hope he or she runs out of air quicker.

www.theglobeandmai l.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

+30 more 
posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
American firefighters and first responders would still go on and get these poor people out.. Even good

samaritans, even the family of the lost, hell I would be in their if it was my family no matter what!

Shame on this wussy government, and there pansy stance and weakness

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   
This sort of thread really doesn't warrant a reply, but people were found in the WTC disaster after all hope had left, and I'm sure many more during the 3/11 Japan tsunami disaster, so hope isn't entirely lost.
Tough situation though between risking life to save life.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrballistic
American firefighters and first responders would still go on and get these poor people out.. Even good

samaritans, even the family of the lost, hell I would be in their if it was my family no matter what!

They outsourced the rescue team from nearby Toronto. The folk in Elliot lake all know eachother and they feel that the rescue team doesnt feel that putting their life on the line for others is worth it.

Where are all the heroes? I am sure if one showed up he would be arrested trying to dig out one of his breathing, dying family member.

Last I heard they were thinking of getting a Mine rescue team from Sudbury. Those boys dont give up.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   
And this is where people want to move to because the USA is so messed up?

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I pray somebody helps those folks out. I could not imagine being in there and hearing rescuers that close only to have it fall silent again and not know why. It's terrible.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
If they say it's dangerous I'm sure it is. Why risk more lives needlessly?

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kangaruex4Ewe
I pray somebody helps those folks out. I could not imagine being in there and hearing rescuers that close only to have it fall silent again and not know why. It's terrible.

Knowing that they are leaving you to die by starvation, lack of air or injuries is just horrible. The poor person trapped in their is fighting to stay alive as he has faith that they save them. Little do they know that they have turned their backs and now wait for death by starvation, lack of air, or succumb to injuries.

I want to you all to know that someone is there now, alone, in the dark tonight in Elliot lake under rubble fighting to stay alive. He there now as you site in your nice home and they quit on him.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Oh no this is so awful!

I am sending positive energy towards the people who have been affected by this. I feel in my heart that most of the people will be found safe and sound. The lord takes care of his souls!

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by GardenParty
Oh no this is so awful!

I am sending positive energy towards the people who have been affected by this. I feel in my heart that most of the people will be found safe and sound. The lord takes care of his souls!

He/ she is alone and has no idea that he/she was left for dead. He needs your Prayer for sure.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadow Herder

According to the article, 20 people were also injured by the collapse :/

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
There is only one reason to not dig these folks out, fear.
I remember hearing a story of hundreds of rescue workers rushing into skyscrapers as they were burning and falling.
Those were real heroes, anyone else with a badge should be ashamed to not be helping those in need.

If it was one of my loved ones, I'd be starting my own search.
There are methods of finding living bodies in rubble piles.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Well that makes Canada look good giving up on a rescue.

A mall that tries to save money by "making use" of the roof for parking isn't going to be a mall that spends money on maintenance apparently.

What a stupid idea that is though, with snow in the winter that has to be a lot of fun.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by CB328

If I chose to risk my life in such a manner, I shouldn't be stopped by someone else. If they closed down the site and didn't allow those who would volunteer to find the trapped, when they were not going to? I'd have a huge problem with that.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
It's a horrible situation, and horrible to have to make those kinds of decisions.

However, I know that in many places around the world, where disasters like this strike, you'll find a very stubborn group of men and women who don't care what the risks are to themselves and volunteer.

They can't be forced officially, but many have stepped forward knowing what the risks might be.

But there are situations where it does not matter how many volunteer heroes might be on hand. The situation can be such that any attempts at rescue could cause something bad to happen that not only takes out your volunteers but will kill off any survivors too.

That's were it gets bad. You have more than enough people willing to take the risk if it means saving lives, but they know full well that an attempt might just kill the very people they want to save.

I think that's just as horrible.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Apparantly the people didn't take kindly to it either:

Dozens of residents of the former mining hub had protested in front of city hall after the decision to halt rescue efforts, saying abandoning trapped comrades would be unthinkable in miners’ culture. Rescue missions never end, save our families, save our friends,” they chanted, and some suggested that volunteer mine workers should take up the rescue effort themselves.

edit on 25-6-2012 by CynicalDrivel because: removed extra y

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrballistic

no they wouldn't, and they don't.

worldwide the standard is that you do not risk rescuers unnecessarily - same happened in Christchurch - there were often periods when rescuers withdrew from collapsed buildings untl they could be stabilised, and they make damned sure that enthusiastic amateurs dont' get anywhere near them too!

not only do you put hte rescuers at risk, but if you cause further collapse of the building you put the victims at even more risk from potentially collapsing an unstable building too.

The best thing to do is stabilise the building - anything else just kills people.

In this case the word "survivors" is completely misleading too. They do not know there are any survivors under the wreckage at all - they MIGHT have heard one person breathing - but they were still 30m away from the location and were not sure.

shame on you for not thinking it through!

edit on 25-6-2012 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I've seen footage of people in third world countries selfishly saving lives surrounded by piles of rubble from where the whole city has collapsed in.

Yet a rich modern country can't clear one building. sad really

love and harmony
Whateva
edit on 25/6/12 by Whateva69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Disgusting... gutless cowards placing their own safety over the lives of others ...

will refrain from further comment as what think of such cowards would get me a permanent ban ...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join