It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars' interior contains as much water as Earth'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Thought this was kinda cool..

Source

Scientists claim to have found clinching evidence that suggest Mars' interior holds vast reservoirs of water, with some spots apparently as wet as Earth's innards.

The new findings, published in the journal Geology, upend previous studies, which had estimated that the Red Planet's internal water stores were scanty at best -- something of a surprise, given that liquid water apparently flowed on the Martian surface long ago.

"It's been puzzling why past estimates for the planet's interior have been so dry," said study co-author Erik Hauri of the Carnegie Institution of Washington.

More Sources,
timesofindia.indiatimes.com...
pakobserver.net...

Pretty cool to think that if Mars was once a healthy planet with an atmosphere, what it would have looked like!? I know i've read lots of interesting theories about some pretty far out stuff about Mars... that it once did have an atmosphere, potential nuclear war, a moon or two is potentially hollow, they came to earth because Mars was destroyed.. etc etc etc
Not saying thats what I beleive, i just think it is super interesting to discuss and speculate about!

Anyways, thought i would pass it on,

Thoughts?!

Related ATS thread regarind water within the Moon -
Moon's Interior Wet As Earth's, Rocks Indicate
edit on 6/25/2012 by Nspekta because: added ATS thread

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Highly debatable but if you subscribe to hollow planet theory this is a VERY interesting idea. I for one am a bit skeptical but then again, who knows! How exciting would it be to count this as fact? I think it would change our mind set and priorities all together concerning Mars.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
This opens up some really cool possibilities. Water is always science's favorite prerequisite for life as we know it. It persists in some pretty seemingly inhospitible environments even here on Earth. Wouldn't suprise me a bit to eventually find someone up there.

Does the Goldilocks Zone contract as a star system gets older? Was Mars more like Modern Earth long ago and Earth more like Venus?

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
If the whole idea of hollow planets is real, its make life way more probable in the universe...
and it also makes finding it much harder.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I dont believe they are saying Mars is Hollow.

They are probably saying that, much like Earth, there are vast underwater rivers, caves, etc etc that store water.

You do know that within the crust of Earth there is heaps of water...rivers..often called Artesian Waters.

In fact in Australia, the Great Artesian Basin is 22% of the surface land mass, and it is all underground, tho much of it briney, it is still water.

Just imagine, how much UNDERGROUND water is actually UNDER our Oceans!!!!!

Billions? of years of seepage into the Earth crust...No wonder the Continents float, maybe its not magma, its water??? We STILL dont know the truth of our own planet..

And Urantia1111, Ive often thought the same thing...did our Sun Cool and became smaller, over billions of years...did the "G" zone also reduce with it.....ie as you said, Mars was like Earth, Earth like Venus (Co2, Methane)..etc.

Because WE KNOW, as the Sun grows again, We Will turn into Venus then Mercury.

Like Earth...I wonder who or what may be living under the Martian surface?
Easy to make oxygen and fuel from water......One Wonders...mmm.
edit on 25-6-2012 by gort51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Helious

I never believed in the hollow earth theory until I saw some of our digging equipment and read how deep the earth really is....I think the answers we are looking for are at the bottom of the ocean or deep in a cave.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by gort51

They are probably saying that, much like Earth, there are vast underwater rivers, caves, etc etc that store water.

What they are saying is that there is water locked in the minerals which make up the mantle of Mars.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by gort51

What they are saying is that there is water locked in the minerals which make up the mantle of Mars.

This has been well known for some time, in fact, NASA has already fleshed some of that out in a future mission plan when it comes to putting people on Mars. Heating the soil will yield actual drinking water and that in and of it self is amazing but this is taking it a step further.

I don't know about this claim and I will say myself that it is highly unlikely that anything remotely close to the volume of Earths water could be found on Mars underground or not, it's a fun read, meant most likely to be taken with a very large grain of salt.

I'm sure you already knew everything I already typed Phage but I had to type it because not everyone else did.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
They are just spoon feeding us lil tidbits of what secrets mars is keeping.... First there was no water, then there were signs of water, then there was ice, and now this.... Getting ready for the big announcement of life having existed on mars at some point, they're just easing us into it right now, so it's not such a big shocker when it's actually put out there....

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   
GET READY FOR THE COLONIES!!!!!!!

I can't wait to see a 3 boob martian mutant like in Total Recall haha!

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Helious
Highly debatable but if you subscribe to hollow planet theory this is a VERY interesting idea. I for one am a bit skeptical but then again, who knows! How exciting would it be to count this as fact? I think it would change our mind set and priorities all together concerning Mars.

It's not claiming it's a hollow planet, there is water within the crust and mantle...Those layer don't go all the way to the center of the planet
edit on 26-6-2012 by PurpleChiten because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 02:06 AM
link   
i really hope one day (in my lifetime lol) we can just send people there

that would be pretty cool

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 04:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by gort51
You do know that within the crust of Earth there is heaps of water...rivers..often called Artesian Waters.

Those waters would be the most probable source of water that engendered the great flood.
Now for the reason, well it could be alien technology or a space object with immense gravity.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   
The article isn't saying (as the title incorrectly asserts) that Mars has as much water as Earth, but rather some of the rocks and soil under the surface of Mars could be as wet as the rocks and soil under the surface of Earth.

This may be new evidence towards that hypothesis, but not a new hypothesis. Scientists know that Mars was once very wet, and the have suspect for quite some time that a lot of that water naturally would have existed in the sponge-like soil could still be there.

This article is not suggesting a hollow planet under the surface, but rather a moist planet under the surface.

edit on 6/26/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
whys everyone talking about hollow planets. they mean water that is inside rocks. this happens a lot on earth, and they think it may be the case on mars..... read this link

link

new topics

top topics

join