It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why New Agers are "Spiritually Dead" and not "Enlightened"

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
reply to post by HamrHeed

Wouldn't that be Jesus?

Turning water into wine, making a buncha fish appear out of thin air, walking on water...

Engineers count from 0.
Voting ron paul?

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 03:18 AM
link   
reply to post by TechUnique

ur not the first, but from what i learned as kid in the church(of witch im no longer affiliated when you write Gods name you must capitalize it, or your disrespecting god

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 04:07 AM
link   

relevance?

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 04:19 AM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

I have to agree with you. Even though I don't consider myself a "new ager" I felt more than a little irritated reading this post, as if it were specifically designed to stir the pot...at that point I asked myself why am I angry? I mean really, what's the point? I think this was the aim of the OP so the best thing to do here is to bite your tongue and ignore the taste of blood as you walk away.

edit on 26-6-2012 by U4ea82 because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-6-2012 by U4ea82 because: because I'm tired

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by U4ea82

I have to agree with you. Even though I don't consider myself a "new ager" I felt more than a little irritated reading this post, as if it were specifically designed to stir the pot...at that point I asked myself why am I angry? I mean really, what's the point? I think this was the aim of the OP so the best thing to do here is to bite your tongue and ignore the taste of blood as you walk away.

Yeah, it makes me angry too. Why am I angry?

I think it might be because I used to be a fundamentalist with a childish kindergarten conception of God just like the OP. I used to think I was in a special position to look down on and judge "New Agers" and people of other religions... many years ago. Seeing a thread like this reminds me how far I've come, thanks to the Holy Spirit.

Hearing fundamentalists rant about "New Age" takes me back to my youthful folly days, and I don't like that. It takes me back to the days before the Holy Spirit initiated me into the Christian mysteries. Since then I've had religious experiences that fundamentalists don't have, can only imagine, and so I worry about them. I worry about my brothers and their diet of exoteric milk. I fear that the milk has spoiled and it is polluting the body of Christ...resulting in idolators like the OP running around confusing people and pissing people off.

Fundamentalists can't see the Christ in other religions, other traditions. But he is there, in other forms...other names. Fundamentalists don't have eyes to see, ears to hear.

As if Christianity is the only religion that the Christ has ever bothered with! As if Jesus is the only vessel the Christ has used! Oh, the arrogance of that belief! The vanity!

If one can't recognize the Christ in other faiths and traditions, and hasn't had a personal mystical experience of ego-death, union with the Christ, and rebirth then one doesn't really know the Christ. One only knows his local, modern idea of the Christ.

And that's all fundamentalists have. Their tiny little local idea of the Christ. They wield it like a weapon. They put it on a pedestal and worship it. They are idolators.

OP, you are an idolator. You think your local, modern, myopic idea of the Christ IS the Christ.

Christ is MUCH bigger than fundamentalists can imagine. He doesn't care about the shifting man-made borders between religions and locations, he doesn't care about the petty politics of modern fundamentalists. He transcends all of that.

Many fundamentalists might be in for a rude awakening when they die. I worry about them. I wish every Christian could be initiated by the Holy Spirit, rather than being left to labor with only spoiled exoteric milk to sustain them.

They need to start studying comparative mysticism, comparative mythology, and comparative religion. These feilds of study can give fundamentalists a panoramic cross-cultural perspective...so that they can lift their 'spiritually dead' eyes and expand out of their tiny little local understanding with its tribalistic biases and petty possesiveness and divisions and politics. God is bigger than their myopic vision.

"Poetry is a special use of language that opens onto the real. The business of the poet is truth telling, which is why in the Celtic tradition no one could be a teacher unless he or she was a poet."

-Huston Smith

edit on 26-6-2012 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by RevelationGeneration
reply to post by SoymilkAlaska

If you have the Holy Spirit in you then you are alive spiritually and will not die a second death.

Nobody will die a "second Death", You will be re-born time and time again until you get it, All Humanity is flawed, We are each here to clarify our souls, We make mistakes, this does not bind you to an eternity of hell, there is no such thing.
The bible is brilliant at keeping you from the truth.
Namaste.
My religion AND it's practice if far far far older than yours, it does lead to the truth, all you know is what you have been told
I think it's a little pretentious to tell people "You have to be good or your going to hell", when you don't know that yourself, someone told you, or, you read it, smacks of kids telling holy ghost stories to scare each other.
Think i might need an Exorcism?,

And pray tell me, what is your definition of "Enlightened?".
And how do you know New Agers are not Enlightened?.
As for me being a New ager, you couldn't be more wrong, I am interested in the purification of my mind and soul, My religion and it's beliefs go back much much further than your religious sects beliefs, if anyone is a New Ager, it is you.

edit on 26-6-2012 by The X because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlueMule
They need to start studying comparative mysticism, comparative mythology, and comparative religion. These feilds of study can give fundamentalists a panoramic cross-cultural perspective...so that they can lift their eyes and expand out of their tiny little local understanding with its tribal bias and petty possesiveness. God is bigger than their myopic vision.

I sure am glad Paul gave us a heads up in Colossians 2:8

Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ

for all the KJV haters that claim it doesn't make sense:

See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the elemental spiritual forces of this world rather than on Christ.

Finally from the NLT, that makes the point crystal clear

Don’t let anyone capture you with empty philosophies and high-sounding nonsense that come from human thinking and from the spiritual powers[a] of this world, rather than from Christ.

There is only one way to God, and that is through the redemptive work of Jesus Christ, and Christ alone. Call it narrow minded, or intollerant etc. It matters not, truth in of itself is exclusive.
edit on 26-6-2012 by kingofmd because: spellin

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Christ?, How much about him do you actually understand?.
Gnosticism?.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by kingofmd

There are lots of passages that a cowardly willfully ignorant fundamentalist can hide behind, like a child hiding behind mothers apron.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 05:56 AM
link   
reply to post by RevelationGeneration

Jesus didn't go to hell

Leaving aside the Apostles Creed (for obvious reasons), In reference to the below passage(s), where was he?

Acts 2:31 He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption.

1 Peter 3:19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;

Matt.12 [40] For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

Keen to get your feedback on this one.

(my apologies to those who dislike biblical quotes)

edit on 26-6-2012 by Sublimecraft because: I.T Blonde moment!!!

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by BlueMule

Hearing fundamentalists rant about "New Age" takes me back to my youthful folly days, and I don't like that. It takes me back to the days before the Holy Spirit initiated me into the Christian mysteries. Since then I've had religious experiences that fundamentalists

Maybe it would help if you shared a couple of your experiences with us.

How did you become "initiated" into Christian mysteries?

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   

It seems he hit a nerve with alot of yall citnecks. It was written that the slaves will worship the first "christ" who shows magic tricks. Should be interesting.

For anyone interested, he's talking about the "anti-christ".

The Bible says that an anti-christ will come claiming to be Christ himself and performing all kinds of miracles and magick before the true event of the second coming of Jesus happens. This is another ploy of Satan's to convince everyone that he IS Jesus.
edit on 26-6-2012 by Deetermined because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Deetermined

Hearing fundamentalists rant about "New Age" takes me back to my youthful folly days, and I don't like that. It takes me back to the days before the Holy Spirit initiated me into the Christian mysteries. Since then I've had religious experiences that fundamentalists

Maybe it would help if you shared a couple of your experiences with us.

How did you become "initiated" into Christian mysteries?

No, I don't think it would help. Christian fundamentalists don't know enough about mysticism to understand. Otherwise, they wouldn't be fundamentalists. They think mysticism is a "tool of the Devil". They think mysticism is "New Age".

What would help is if Christians started studying comparative mysticism, so that they could learn to recognize the genuine mysticism in their own tradition and other traditions, maybe even begin to connect with it.

To that end, here is a book I recommend.

www.amazon.com...

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Do you mind if I ask what images you meditate on and is scripture ever used during your practices?

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by auraelium

Gotta love NonStampCollector, even if his animations seem entirely MS Paint based

It always amazes me when people try to say there are no contradictions in the Bible. But even if they were absolutely correct on that there would still be contradictions between the Bible AND Christian doctrines/theologies. Take for example the claim that God loves everyone, that is directly contradicted by the fact that God created a Lake of Fire in which to burn people (presumably for eternity). Or the idea that God is just and righteous, yet he punishes the first born children and animals of Egypt for the sins of Pharaoh and the Egyptian elite.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by RevelationGeneration

Yay another religious thread spreading love and kindness and understanding. I'm so glad all of you follow in Jesus' footsteps and never judge others, and only spread the word of peace love and understanding.

You make such an impact, preaching the virtues of kindness.

Oh wait, never mind, this is just another judgmental thread.

Carry on.

I'm quite enjoying being spiritually dead, thank you very much, and also I hate the new agers too.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull
reply to post by auraelium

It always amazes me when people try to say there are no contradictions in the Bible. But even if they were absolutely correct on that there would still be contradictions between the Bible AND Christian doctrines/theologies.

Let's just say that there are not any contradictions in the messages. The minor details don't change the story or the message. Yes, there will always be contradictions among Christians as to certain interpretations, as we are all human, but most of us all agree on the core beliefs.

Take for example the claim that God loves everyone, that is directly contradicted by the fact that God created a Lake of Fire in which to burn people (presumably for eternity).

This is probably another one of those life long research and study topics where Christians interpret it differently. Some believe that certain people will be cast into the Lake of Fire forever and some believe that the Lake of Fire is reserved for Satan and his fallen angels, demons, etc only, while those people who chose to follow them will end up having their souls destroyed instead of being tormented forever.

Or the idea that God is just and righteous, yet he punishes the first born children and animals of Egypt for the sins of Pharaoh and the Egyptian elite.

This is one that I've contemplated a lot myself lately. Something tells me that there's more to some of these stories that have yet to be revealed. Don't forget, God not only had the Israelites kill the first born in Egypt, but He also had the Israelites kill their own first born in remembrance of Him bringing them out of Egypt. As far as we know, God may use the innocent souls of these first born for some event in the future to do His will. Based on a lot of the trials that these people went through, you might even consider these first borns to have been spared. These are some of the things we'll never know for sure until all is revealed.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Deetermined

Do you mind if I ask what images you meditate on and is scripture ever used during your practices?

I do mind because it looks to me as if you are just fishing for stuff to judge.

Not much upsets me these days but talking to Christian fundamentalists is one of them. It makes me sad and angry. So I think I'm going to leave this thread and try to get my composure back.

I gave you a book recommendation. If the Holy Spirit wants you to read it, then you will. If not then you won't. Either way I wash my hands of this thread.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by netgamer7k

The judges of Psalm 82 were called "gods" because in their office they determined the fate of other men. Also, in Exodus 21:6 and 22:8-9, God calls earthly judges "gods."

Oh look, you know how to use your "Strong's" to look up the meanings of words. Did you read the commentary out of your study bible too? Or did you have to go get your Jimmy Swaggart study bible?

See, I can be condescending too. You aren't dealing with a baby Christian who doesn't know his bible. I was studying while you were in diapers. But I would rather discuss the topic with you than get all nasty and self righteous about it. So lets try that instead.

I am aware of the word used for judges in that, and other verses. I still have my Strong's, my bibles, and my notes from my sermons too. The Jews did not run around calling the Judges gods in the sense you and I get from our lexicons and concordances. In the same way we address our judges, "your honor", they used the term meaning something similar to "lords" or "my lord". It was a title of high respect because they sat in the seat of Moses.

Jesus chose these verses for a reason. The above was one of those reasons. But it was a play on words, and he knew it. He also knew how angry they would get when he said this to them. The gist of his statement, and use of these verses, was a dig at their arrogance, and love of their status. He let them know in no uncertain terms that he was not only their equal, but their superior. This is why they sought to stone him.

In the same way, I used those same verses as a play on words. As the redeemed, you will judge angels. You are "gods" right now in the same sense the judges were.

Can you please, next time, not take something completely out of context? It's a dumb thing to do. It's a slap in the face to somebody who studies the scriptures.

I'm going to leave this comment be except to say, it's not very becoming of a student of scripture, and one who supposedly has the spirit of Christ.
edit on 6/26/2012 by Klassified because: corrections

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   
God gave us intelligence, discernment, urges which promote our existence, yet demands that we ignore all 3?

He did it out of respect for free choice.

A respect for something which He created to be respected, and yet himself defines the rather strict limits on these very things.

On to New Agers, one would do well to look into the history between Crowley and Gerald Gardner to see where the Gardnerian Wiccans(as an excellent example of a New Age religion, along with all the dubious claims to ancient roots,) are more purposefully described as Unwitting Thelemic Minervals.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join