It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why New Agers are "Spiritually Dead" and not "Enlightened"

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

John 10:31-36 31 Then the Jews took up stones again to stone him. 32Jesus answered them, Many good works have I shewed you from my Father; for which of those works do ye stone me? 33The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God. 34Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods? 35If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken; 36Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?

Sorry, Klassified, that is one of the most misinterpreted verses in the Bible. If you do a cross reference on every time the words "you are gods" is used, you'll notice that it means that they belong to God. It is in the possessive (as in "you are God's), it is not to imply that everyone is a God. A word search in the Bible by using www.biblegateway.com should be able to show you all of the cross references.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deetermined

John 10:31-36 31 Then the Jews took up stones again to stone him. 32Jesus answered them, Many good works have I shewed you from my Father; for which of those works do ye stone me? 33The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God. 34Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods? 35If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken; 36Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?

Sorry, Klassified, that is one of the most misinterpreted verses in the Bible. If you do a cross reference on every time the words "you are gods" is used, you'll notice that it means that they belong to God. It is in the possessive (as in "you are God's), it is not to imply that everyone is a God. A word search in the Bible by using www.biblegateway.com should be able to show you all of the cross references.

Hes not misinterpreting it though...

82 God standeth in the congregation of the mighty; he judgeth among the gods.

2 How long will ye judge unjustly, and accept the persons of the wicked? Selah.

3 Defend the poor and fatherless: do justice to the afflicted and needy.

4 Deliver the poor and needy: rid them out of the hand of the wicked.

5 They know not, neither will they understand; they walk on in darkness: all the foundations of the earth are out of course.

6 I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High.

7 But ye shall die like men, and fall like one of the princes.

8 Arise, O God, judge the earth: for thou shalt inherit all nations.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Deetermined

So, just out of curiosity, did any other deity give His life FOR HIS FOLLOWERS?

Krishna and Dionysus. And both pre-dated Christ.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by coyotepoet

But Christ said theirs only one path to eternal life and that's through him.

We are saved by grace through faith in Christ.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by RevelationGeneration
reply to post by AdamsMurmur

Colossians 2:2-3 says that in Christ is '...hidden all the treasure of wisdom and knowledge.'
Indeed, but none of it came from the Bible for me. It required my action, and the subsequent journey of that action. The Bible and Christianity served it's purpose by first reintroducing me to spirituality, I am grateful for that, but once I learned to run again, I realized I could go much further, and hence I found answers to my questions elsewhere.

I stripped off the cloak of religion and dogma, and embraced the all - the oneness -, which is unity uncumbered since it sees no borders and no division. I am closer to God than I ever was because I began to uncover myself and the world around me, which allowed the things outside of me to come in, and the things within me to come forth. Dissolution of duality; "God is One," which is paralleled in many religions.

"Know thyself."

Truth and wisdom revealed itself in the forms of many religions, philosophies, and mysteries, because they are all forms of knowledge. It all began with me saying exactly this: "I want to know you better." It is within the hidden things that adept concepts are revealed; appearing complicated, but often so simple - true wisdom. The thing is, these things only appear to be hidden, but only because most people don't know how to see them. In reality, it was always there, we just have to take the initiative and go after it if we so choose to. This is the true meaning of apocalypse (the unveiling/disclosure) and "seek and you shall find."

Cheers.
edit on 25/6/12 by AdamsMurmur because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   

I know full well how that verse is rationalized among fundies. I was one for a very long time.
I posted it in context for a reason. Because it should be read in context...

For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God.

Now why in reply to an accusation made against him of making himself out to be God, would he choose those particular verses as a justification?

Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods? 35If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken

So it would seem that it has been rationalized and interpreted to suit Christian doctrine from my perspective.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified

So, just out of curiosity, did any other deity give His life FOR HIS FOLLOWERS?

Krishna and Dionysus. And both pre-dated Christ.

Do you have any text you can link on that? Did these deity's die or did they voluntarily die in order to claim salvation for their followers? Which is it?
edit on 25-6-2012 by Deetermined because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods? 35If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken

Do you care to elaborate? I don't know what you are talking about. As far as the meaning of the scripture you posted above, it is stating that they are the ones that God chose to bring His word in order to spread it throughout the world. They were the ones chosen to spread the message, so I'm not sure what you are talking about.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I laugh my ass off every time I hear the "new ager" label being thrown around. There were sermons floating around to the churches last year emphasizing the use of the term to encapsulate the largest threat to organized orderly spiritual thought of the capitalist churches.

I, for one, would love to see the attacks directed at the Muslims. That's your real threat is it not? The fastest growing organized faith? Oh right. It is ORGANIZED so your swords need not swipe at the allies. Whose allies? I don't know, maybe we can look at who handles the bank accounts of these scummy organized hijackers?

The Christian faith is awesome, in practice! But I've seen the actions of the faithful, the words of the faithful and the judgement of the faithful. Yet have I witnessed Christian practice!

I consider myself a follower and brother of Christ, Bhudda, Krishna. But I also consider each human and animal the eyes and ears of God. Animals (from flies to ferrots) largely being his drones, if you will.

Hopefully, I am, that God judge us from the eyes of the die hard new agers -to be honest. They are far less judgemental and smile a lot more, in practice.

Now go ahead and fire some silver tongued spears at the Muslims. Dare ya!

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   

For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God.

As for this verse that you quoted, they called Jesus a blasphemer for claiming to be the Son of God and telling them that he and God were one. Jesus claimed to be "God's" Son. He told them that they were also children of God too, just like He was, hence "you are gods" too. He was trying to tell them that they too could be one with God if they believed in him and what he was telling them.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Do you have any text you can link on that? Did these deity's die or did they voluntarily die in order to claim salvation for their followers? Which is it?

These links should get you started. But note that a few links will not give you a complete picture. Only research will do that. Though if you are anything like I was when I was a Christian, it won't matter anyway. They will be all lies, and the work of the devil himself. Nevertheless...

Sixteen Saviors Crucified...
10 Christ-like Figures...

Note also that making a distinction that Jesus specifically died "for his followers" does not add credence nor weight to the Christian argument. Nor does it lessen the many historical parallels between Jesus and those who pre-dated him.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Note also that making a distinction that Jesus specifically died "for his followers" does not add credence nor weight to the Christian argument. Nor does it lessen the many historical parallels between Jesus and those who pre-dated him.

Sure it does. That's exactly what he was telling people in John 10. Have you not read the entire chapter?

Let me post it again (and then some):

John 10:11

11 I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.

John 10:15-18

15 As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep.

16 And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.

17 Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again.

18 No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   

....and once again, what does it say about those who came before Him?

John 10:7-8

7 Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep.

8 All that ever came before me are thieves and robbers: but the sheep did not hear them.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   

It's OK. I understand that you have no choice but to tear down any opposing arguments to scripture. Been there, done that, for many years. And I was quite good at it too, if I have to say so myself.

Occasionally, it feels weird being a heathen again after all those years as a diehard fundie.

Peace.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Yeah, what's up with that, Klassified?

I actually love having you in Christian threads because you know more about the Bible than most people and I always feel like you're actually helping to further our cause in a backward kind of way! LOL!

So, tell me what happened to make you change your mind.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified
reply to post by RevelationGeneration

There are 2 things every New Ager needs to know...

1) There is a God.

2) You are not him.

John 10:31-36

31Then the Jews took up stones again to stone him. 32Jesus answered them, Many good works have I shewed you from my Father; for which of those works do ye stone me? 33The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God. 34Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods? 35If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken; 36Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?

And the scribe said unto him, Well, Teacher, you have said the truth: for there is one God; and there is none other but he: Mark 12:32

Exodus 15:11 Who is like unto thee, O LORD, among the gods?

Exodus 34:14 For thou shalt worship no other god: for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God.

Exodus 18:11 Now I know that the LORD is greater than all gods.

Joshua 24:14 Fear the Lord ... and put away the gods which your fathers served.

One God or Several Gods...

The judges of Psalm 82 were called "gods" because in their office they determined the fate of other men. Also, in Exodus 21:6 and 22:8-9, God calls earthly judges "gods."

Can you please, next time, not take something completely out of context? It's a dumb thing to do. It's a slap in the face to somebody who studies the scriptures.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Many in our society have accepted this NEW AGE gospel. Genesis 3 indicates that man will be deceived by three lies of Satan:

- The first lie is that he will know all things. Man will have all knowledge and wisdom at his disposal.

- The second lie is that man will surely not die, but that he will be reincarnated again and again.

- The third lie, and the most dangerous, is that he will become "as" or "like" God.

If you take the major points of various new age beliefs, they basically have these three lies tied up all into it. Does that not raise red flags?

Anybody can have spiritual experiences, but ask yourself, where did it come from? Where is it leading me?

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   
The OP would probably try to debate Jesus himself about the bible with the holier-than-thou attitude he has

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
The OP would probably try to debate Jesus himself about the bible with the holier-than-thou attitude he has

It seems he hit a nerve with alot of yall citnecks. It was written that the slaves will worship the first "christ" who shows magic tricks. Should be interesting

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by HamrHeed

Wouldn't that be Jesus?

Turning water into wine, making a buncha fish appear out of thin air, walking on water...

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join