It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why New Agers are "Spiritually Dead" and not "Enlightened"

page: 14
<< 11  12  13   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Deetermined

Is this something you do or do not have control over? It sounds like it would come over you without your controlling it?

Admittedly I haven't done it in a fairly long time, it has been a while since I wrote that article. It's not so much about control as it is a certain emotionally heightened state of mind. I found it happened most times when I was listening to music and swept up in emotions associated with that music, I would begin to move my lips and whisper a kind of gibberish. Back when I was a Christian it happened in prayer as well, but basically it had to do with emotions, even a beautiful enough woman could set it off.

You don't seem to think it's anything spiritual or supernatural, so what do you consider it to be?

Studies have found that during glossolalia (the technical term for it) the part of the brain responsible for language isn't actually active, this suggests that it isn't an actual language. My best guess is that it is a trance-like state with some interesting brain activity associated with it. It is interesting to note that Christianity is not the only religion to speak in tongues and that some sects of Christianity believe the act is actually satanic.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   

I was raised in a Pentecostal church, where everybody spoke in tongues and literally rolled on the floor too. I also spoke in tongues. As I grew older, I felt silly and self conscious and even phony. I came to believe that speaking in tongues really means the the spirit will lead you what to say in difficult situations.

I have since abandoned that expression of worship and religion for something more New Agey.

edit on 27-6-2012 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

I was raised in a Pentecostal church, where everybody spoke in tongues and literally rolled on the floor too. I also spoke in tongues. As I grew older, I felt silly and self conscious and even phony. I came to believe that speaking in tongues really means the the spirit will lead you what to say in difficult situations. I have since abandoned that expression of worship and religion for something more New Agey.

You want interesting? I literally grew up in a Pentecostal Methodist church with a hardcore Assemblies of God youth pastor. Speaking in tounges, passing out in the spirit, album burning, dancing is sinful, proselytize, proselytize, proselytize, the whole bit. Round about my senior year in high school, when I was able to understand things at a level past the dogma, I turned my back on organized religion. It was a number of years, some of which was spent in cross-religious studies, before I could separate God from religion and come to a place of deeper spirituality. So, when I weigh in on matters like this, I know from whence I speak on many different levels. I was on my youth group leadership team for Christ's sake (literally and figuratively.)

edit on 27-6-2012 by coyotepoet because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   

First, your link on Sargon claims that it really doesn't know the time period in which Sargon of Akkad lived or reigned.

Well, to be brutally honest, we do not know exactly when Moses lived either, for all we have to go on is the OT, and it's authorship and truthfulness is questionable, to say the least. Like for instance, the Bible says the Israelites were slaves of the Egyptians, and builders of the cities of Ramesses and Pithom, and the Pyramids, but the graves around the Pyramids are those of Craftsmen, not slaves, and when Moses and crew sacked the city and took off for the desert, the Bible reports they were "well armed." I once read a book, name escapes me, that theorized that Moses was a General over a group of armed soldiers, and were guarding the riches of Egypt.

Examination of Certain Details Contained in the Narrations
The Hebrews in Egypt

It is, apparently, quite possible to say (and without running much risk of being wrong) that the Hebrews remained in Egypt for 400 or 430 years, according to the Bible (Genesis 15, 13 and Exodus 12, 40). In spite of this discrepancy between Genesis and Exodus, which is of minor importance, the period may be said to have begun long after Abraham, when Joseph, son of Jacob, moved with his brothers to Egypt. With the exception of the Bible, which gives the data just quoted, and the Qur'an which refers to the move to Egypt, but does not give any indication as to the dates involved, we do not possess any other document which is able to illuminate us on this point.

Present-day commentators, ranging from P. Montet to Daniel Rops, think that, in all probability, the arrival of Joseph and his brothers coincided with the movement of the Hyksos towards Egypt in the Seventeenth century B.C. and that a Hyksos sovereign probably received them hospitably at Avaris in the Nile Delta.

There can be no doubt that this guess is in obvious contradiction to what is contained in the Bible (Kings I, 6, 1) which puts the Exodus from Egypt at 480 years before the construction of Solomon's Temple (circa 971 B.C.). This estimation would therefore put the Exodus at roughly 1450 B.C. and would consequently situate the entry into Egypt at circa 1880-1850 B.C. This is precisely the time, however, that Abraham is supposed to have lived, and other data contained in the Bible tell us that there were 250 years separating him from Joseph. This passage from Kings I in the Bible is therefore unacceptable from a chronological point of view.[84] We shall see how the theory put forward here has only this objection, taken from Kings I, to be levelled against it. The very obvious inaccuracy of these chronological data effectively deprives this objection of any value.
source

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   

I find it fascinating that you talk about being able to speak in tongues even though you don't practice religion.

Please define "speaking in tongues." According to my wife, son, and a few others, I have been talking a strange language in my sleep, quite fluently, to hear them tell it. Personally, I believe it to me the tongue of the Pleiadians, but do not know for sure. My son says he recognizes sentence structure and word associations, and a lilting of voice indicative of a genuine language. I am getting a tape recorder to hear for myself. Is this what you mean, or is it like this....

and this...

I have seen this kind of thing first hand, and that is whay I made this thread:
Is the "Holy Spirit" in Reality a Demon?

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 05:52 AM
link   
In my opinion, Titen-Sxull probably has the speaking in tongues definition down with the term "glossolalia".

Even though I belong to a Pentecostal church, this is something that I've never practiced myself and it happens only on occasion in my church, by one person at a time (and only once during any given service), when it does happen. Like Winword, if I was witnessing every one doing it at once and rolling around on the floor, I'd have to find another church. Like Autowrench, I might be inclined to think that something other than the Holy Spirit might be visiting if it appeared to be totally out of control. I'm the kind of person that's never been willing to give up control of any/all of my faculties for any reason. LOL! I'm grateful that my spiritual experiences have come to me through my dreams or revelations through contact with other people. I think the primary reason I've chosen Pentecostal churches over others is because I find them eager to preach from the entire Bible and not just from a few books. They are not afraid to preach on topics that may not be appealing to everyone. Personally, I don't feel like I need a motivational speaker as a pastor, although many do.

Autowrench, thanks for the link on the Hebrews in Egypt! That's worth doing some more research on! I thought I read about some archaeology evidence on this in the past year, but I think I'm going to have to dig it up and research it again to be sure!
edit on 28-6-2012 by Deetermined because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Autowrench, thanks for the link on the Hebrews in Egypt! That's worth doing some more research on! I thought I read about some archaeology evidence on this in the past year, but I think I'm going to have to dig it up and research it again to be sure!

You are quite welcome, friend. All my research is for the membership, simply for the asking. I serve Humankind, even though I do not like most of them.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

That's because Pentecostal church's are not even Christian they are a cult. Babbling while rolling around on the floor isn't biblical. It's sad that you abandoned the faith to follow a lie because you were raised in an ungodly church.. Do you want the truth or what feels good to you? The Bible says apathy is no excuse and nor is laziness.
edit on 6-7-2012 by RevelationGeneration because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

Spreading falsehoods and deception is not serving humankind. If you want to serve human kind then you must humble yourself by bowing your knee to God and admit you are a sinner. Unless you are serving the kingdom of God then you are serving Satan by default.
edit on 6-7-2012 by RevelationGeneration because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
When the need to be right trumps our love for others, we fall out of alignment with spirit of the Lord, who's will is the will to love.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by RevelationGeneration

That's because Pentecostal church's are not even Christian they are a cult. Babbling while rolling around on the floor isn't biblical. It's sad that you abandoned the faith to follow a lie because you were raised in an ungodly church.. Do you want the truth or what feels good to you? The Bible says apathy is no excuse and nor is laziness.

Hmmm...I think I heard something similar to that. You don't belong to Westboro Baptist Church do you? Because according to them all other Christians are wrong and they are the only right ones. So who are the only true Christians according to you? Probably the branch you belong to. That's what's so funny to me-not only are all other religions wrong according to Christians, but also other Christian sects that don't agree with the particular teachings of the one standing in judgement of the other. Hmmm...

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by RevelationGeneration
reply to post by autowrench

Spreading falsehoods and deception is not serving humankind. If you want to serve human kind then you must humble yourself by bowing your knee to God and admit you are a sinner. Unless you are serving the kingdom of God then you are serving Satan by default.

Sorry, but I do not subscribe to your myths and made up Gods, RV, we have been here before. I join no Cult whatever, especially the Cult of Jesus. ANY God that demands worship is not one I care to believe in, nor acknowledge. I humble myself to no man, no God, no Spirit. If anyone in here is misleading humanity, pounding delusions into their minds, and leading them down a dark path, it is you, and those in your Cult.

top topics

<< 11  12  13   >>

join