It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Series of Tornadoes Strikes South Africa

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Last year October we got hit by two big tornadoes (for us Saffers they were big) in one day, which was totally odd, imo. But, not all South Africans did agree with me. Some did not think it was "out of the ordinary".

Now, this past weekend we got hit, again, with a series of tornadoes. This time even more closer to home (speaking for myself)

Let me say that I do know we get tornadoes. S.African ATS'ers will come and say "but, we do get tornadoes". In advance, I am not arguing that fact. I am saying it IS becoming more frequent, and that the climate has changed way more than most of us would want to believe, or will (want to) admit. And, to top it off, in the middle of Winter this time around?! Not our "usual" tornado season, is it now.

Video

Free State communities begin mopping up after tornadoes

COMMUNITIES in the eastern and northeast Free State were on Monday still recovering from severe storms and tornadoes that hit the area on Saturday, killing five people and injuring several more.

8 die as wind storms rip through the FS

Eight people died and 76 were injured after suspected tornadoes and strong winds lashed parts of the Free State and the Vaal Dam on Saturday evening.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   
i don't know anything about south africa. i don't ever hear about tornadoes there though.... and in the middle of winter? that does seem odd.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 04:14 AM
link   
reply to post by pasiphae

Hi Pasiphae,

South Africa is not a hot spot for tornadoes, though we do get them now & then. Seeing that they usually occur in unpopulated areas we don't get to hear about them.

Last year, October, we had two touchdowns in one day which claimed lives and serious damage in residential areas. Our tornado season is from November to January, which is Spring/Summer. Seeing we had a series of touchdowns in the middle of Winter this year even convinced me further of serious climate change.

With those touchdowns of last year something was not right. I saw those storms moving in, and those clouds were ominous. Many have argued "it happens". In my almost 40 years in Southern Africa i have not seen such strange weather as i have over the past 3 years.

This Winter, thus far, has been mild. It has not been as severe as last year, but we have had some truly cold days. Luckily it is only for a few days then we get our lovely Winter sun for a few days.

I have noticed that the humidity is higher than previous Winter seasons. I have marked days with humidity in the late 80's and mid 90's over the past few weeks. That is the level of humidity in Summer, usually.

What gets my nerves going is that these touchdowns are getting closer to home. I am in Johannesburg, South. It is a stone throw away from these that hit the weekend. Seeing most of my family live where it happened just makes it more real that things are not as okay as some would think.

The funny part is that the meteorologist did not admit straight away it was tornadoes. It was said "what to believed" to have been tornadoes. Can't they read radar? It tells me that even they were surprised as they know tornadoes does not happen in a series, as it did over the weekend. Even if it was our "tornado season" (sarcasm) which would have been Summer, they were taken aback by Winter touchdowns which claimed lives and severe damage.

Peace

new topics

join