It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasa releases colour pictures of Apollo 17 at Shorty Crater

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by gort51

Middle Earth would be my guess.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
We never stopped going to the moon, I was making Apollo parts several years after the program was publically ended. Search for the book titled The Binding Curve that use to be classified and you will become informed on the Orion Project, a star ship that launched before the ban on exploding nukes above ground!

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 05:53 AM
link   
I was going to post an explanation for the light and shadows but
Phantomjack and Phage have done it already
Cheers

Cran

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by OutonaLimb
Alsp, doesn't the directions of the shadows, as seen reflected in the spacedmans visor,
contradict the direction of the other direct shadows observed?

All the shadows point to the left, so no.

jra

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by cranspace
Nasa has released a colour photo of Apollo17
Forty years after the last men walked on the moon in 1972

That colour photo and thousands of other colour photos from the Apollo missions have been available for a long time. I don't understand why the dailymail is reporting on this, but oh well, it's a nice photo regardless.

This photo is so fake, it isn't even funny. You can see the line traversing the screen,
separating the foreground from the backgroud (a stanley kubrick cinematic effect,
i believe). This is not a natural representation.

Do understand that the Lunar surface isn't perfectly flat. The surface is undulated with many rises and dips, which can partially obstruct your view of the horizon. If that were a sign of fakery, then these following photos and any photo that shows a distinct separation of foreground / mid-ground to background must also be fake by that "logic".

photo 1
photo 2

Or maybe it's just something that happens quite commonly and you're just noticing it in Apollo photos.

Originally posted by LaEuro
We never stopped going to the moon, I was making Apollo parts several years after the program was publically ended.

Who did you work for? What parts did you make? Do you have any evidence to back up your claim?

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Wow! I can see a tinge of.... is it yellow? Amazing colour!

IRM

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
The same old arguments are constantly regurgitated .. the background and shadows which are all perfectly explainable .. but it never ends the debate.

I argued with a friend of mine for hours one night just because he saw a documentary that tried to connect Stanley Kubrick to the moon "hoax" .. the background technique Stanley did for 2001 largely confirms it for most of them but if not! the shadows seal the deal ..

But of course.. the background thing is perfectly natural given the terrain, and so are the shadows.. the fact there's not two shadows per object should be enough to shut them up but no.. it rarely ever is.

ANYWAY - I Love the color moon photos, thanks for sharing.. it's always great to see them crop up.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by jra

This photo is so fake, it isn't even funny. You can see the line traversing the screen,
separating the foreground from the backgroud (a stanley kubrick cinematic effect,
i believe). This is not a natural representation.

Do understand that the Lunar surface isn't perfectly flat. The surface is undulated with many rises and dips, which can partially obstruct your view of the horizon. If that were a sign of fakery, then these following photos and any photo that shows a distinct separation of foreground / mid-ground to background must also be fake by that "logic".

photo 1
photo 2

Or maybe it's just something that happens quite commonly and you're just noticing it in Apollo photos.

jra --

Another interesting point that your example images illustrate is that the background mountains in both images are seen through an atmospheric haze. There is no atmospheric haze (due to the fact the moon has virtually no atmosphere) on the moon, so the far-off mountains look almost too sharp and clear.

However, this too isn't due to fakery, but due to the fact that we are not used to seeing far-off items in our Earth photos so clearly, so when we see the sharp and clear far-off mountains in the moon images, they strike us as odd-looking.

edit on 6/26/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by jra

I don't understand why the dailymail is reporting on this

These photos were released on the nasa site 24/6/12
This is why it was reported in the paper

Cran

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by cranspace
reply to post by jra

I don't understand why the dailymail is reporting on this

These photos were released on the nasa site 24/6/12
This is why it was reported in the paper

Cran

It was featured on the NASA "Astronomy Photo of the Day" (APOD) website recently, but that doesn't mean it is a newly-released photo. This is actually not a single photo, but a mosaic of several photos -- all of which had been previously released to the public decades ago, and have been available on the internet for years. The APOD isn't necessarily new images, but simply interesting ones. I've even seen them, from time to time, repeat an image that they previously used,

It's possible that the actual mosaic was more recently done, but it still is not "brand new". Here is a website from 2005 that features this image mosaic:
hubblesite.org...

and another from 2010:
3dastronomer.com... (scroll down a bit to see it)
...although this mosaic may not be exactly the same, as it includes less of the panorama -- but the same base images were used.

The base images used to make this mosaic can be found on this website (which has had all these images for several years):
history.nasa.gov... (click on "Image Library", then "Magazine 137/C")
..and are the images around and including image number AS17-137-21010 (maybe the five or so images before and the five or so after were used to make the image in the OP).

edit on 6/26/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan
Wow! I can see a tinge of.... is it yellow? Amazing colour!

IRM

Orange, actually:

Jack Schmitt discovers orange soil: 37Mb MPEG
You can here the excitement in his voice. However, it took a couple of minutes for Ed Fendell (operating the TV camera remotely from Houston) to pan around and show Jack (31Mb MPEG (who is just finishing a photographic panorama - note that he has placed his shovel to point to the area of interest) examining the soil. He had been fooled once before by sunlight reflecting off of mylar.(143:59:35), so he was doubly-excited.

As Murphy's Law would have it, Schmitt had black & white film in his camera, but Gene Cernan had color and shot a bunch of photos of the find, such as AS17-137-20985 (hi-res) and AS17-137-20990 (hi-res).

Yeah, I know - looks more pinkish to me, too. Maybe it's called "geologist orange"
Compared to the rest of the moon, it might as well be neon.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by jra

photo 1
photo 2

jra, I especially like the second picture. And, if we could take out all the artifacts that give perspective of scale, such as the trees, house, power poles, the road, etc. it would be much harder to determine distance. This is one of the problem areas for those who get sucked into believing this is some kind of set, or layering affect. The mountains in the very far distance on the Moon will look just as close as something closer. They do however lose detail as seen in the Apollo photo.

When I lived in Colorado Springs, Co, friends would come to visit and be amazed at how close the mountains (Norad and Pikes Peak) looked. I even had some who were going to go for a walk to see Garden of the Gods which was almost visible from my house. The only problem, it was a 30 minute drive. Perspective can fool even the best of us at times.

@OP - thanks for being excited and posting the picture. Even though it has been available for a long time, it is still great to see the heroic accomplishments of mankind.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join