It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New theory why I think the sky is blue...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Some may say that it is the spectrum that creates the sky being blue. Well that is somewhat true, i believe, but I would have to add that since our atmosphere contains:
Nitrogen -(78.084%)(colorless)
Oxygen -20.946%(pale blue color)
Argon -0.9340%(colorless)
Water vapor ~0.40% over full atmosphere, typically 1%-4% at surface
Carbon dioxide-0.039%(colorless)
Ozone- 0.0 to 0.07 ppmv (0 to7×10−6%)
Methane-1.79 ppmv (0.000179%)(colorless)
Since most gases in our atmosphere are colorless, except Oxygen. For my conclusion I would have to believe that the sun passing through the Oxygen atoms refracts the sun in a blue color. With the sunrise and sunsets the multiple colors seen in the sky are from the water vapor in the atmosphere giving the last bit of refraction from the sun and the earths atmospheric gases, plus mixing with the darkness from the side of the Earth not receiving light...chemistry.about.com...
answers.yahoo.com...

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by ATSGrunt

interesting theory and totally possible (unless you edit, then i possibly disagree)

peace.
edit on 25-6-2012 by SoymilkAlaska because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
ok...sounds plausible to me

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
The sky is blue due to the effects of Rayleigh scattering. The same thing causes the colors of sunrise and sunset.
hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...

BTW, oxygen is colorless as a gas.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Oxygen is colorless unless it is in liquid form then it is very pale blue. But the color is caused by the scattering of light and the mixing of light that appears light blue throughout most the day, go up on a hill or a mountain look at sunrise or sunset and you see a range of whites, oranges and not just the blues, making your theory flawed.

But hey you want to rewrite science ever since the "Bush" era you will have many believers...

edit on 25-6-2012 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Because there is much-much-much OXYGEN

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Your theory is already widely accepted, you just claimed it as your own.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by ATSGrunt

Foregive me is I am wrong, however I was taught that the sky was blue (in the day) and yellow red (dawn and dusk) because of the light from the sun refracting in the atmosphere. like light passing through a prism.

I am not sure what you thought it was to begin with, but you alternative suggestion of light refraction as far as I was concerned was accepted science!!!!

Unless you are suggesting that the Oxygen in the atmosphere in fact act like a light filter>???? but then that is not refraction as you state in you post. that is filtration

Maybe I got sucked into a time hole again

new topics

top topics

join