It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Microsoft financing Xbox consoles

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I dont know where this belongs. We have indications of poor economy, a huge corporation playing banker, re-branding debt as a simple "contract", subsidizing lethargy, all obviously aimed at young people with little to no means ina predatory fashion.

Just as we reported last week, Microsoft is selling the a 4GB Xbox 360 console with a Kinect for $99 with a two-year Xbox Live Gold contract for $14.99 per month. Unfortunately, you'll have to live near a Microsoft Store to cash in on this deal; you'll need to bring in the coupon (or have the store associate enter a specific offer code) and sign up for two years of service. Overall, this bundle will cost $458.76 over the course of two years (before taxes), as compared to a $299 bundle bought outright, plus two years at $59.99 per year for Xbox Live Gold, which can often be found at a discount — so while you'll save some money off the bat by signing that contract, you'll actually spend a little more over the course of the two years.
link

It took me a little time digging to figure out what this "contract" was. Turns out it's just financing.

At least when some sucker falls for the cell phone financing scams they're getting a service to mask the fact that you're basically making debt payments.

I can see a future with no more credit cards. Just sign your soul and property over to the company who made the useless thing you cant afford and shouldnt be buying in the first place.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

poor economy is an illusion.

it makes people sell things for more money, and pay more for less.

if people just said "lets be happy" and charged less, the economy (which is a fake idea) would get better.

its the powers that be, tricking everyone into worrying.

all they have to do is raise the price of gas, and everyone freaks out and charges more, while in turn they pay more for gas.

its burglary at its worst.

don't buy into the scam, be happy, and relax. its all lies.

peace.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I never like Microsoft...

Do we need a contract to live now?
"Welcome, to live, you need to have a 5 year contract and pay about $1.5 million dollars to continue your life. Want the contract for 2 years or 10?"

I don't care, it's just insane with thet contracts. No one thinks about them now.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Microsoft have been running at a loss on the Xbox pretty much all along. It's consistent with the beachhead style strategy that they've always had.

Microsoft consider it important to have a flag in literally every piece of ground. I'm pretty sure it was Gates (although it may have been Ballmer) who said that he was happier with someone pirating Windows, than using Linux for free. Microsoft's leaders have always been a lot more about control and market share, than they ever have been about money. Gates was a Napoleonic megalomaniac, and Ballmer is too, but he just isn't as good at it as Bill was.

The company have always had the approach of getting an initial something out the door and into people's homes. The initial battering ram isn't necessarily intended to make money; it's accepted as a loss leader. Where they make money is the supplemental purchases which they rely on customers making. In the case of the Xbox, that's likely extra peripherals, games, and such.
edit on 25-6-2012 by petrus4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

It's the natural progression of corporatism.

What in America in the last 20 years has been the most profitable? Banks and Financial Products.

What does Microsoft want? More money and success in the market, as well as more market share.

They know that most gamers in this economy are poor and would LOVE to pay 21% interest on a new Xbox console with Live membership for 2 years. Instead of forking over 400 all in one go for a console, kinect and the games you'll enjoy when you get them.

So disgusting? Yes.

Surprising? No.

They're just doing what everybody else did to make money.

~Tenth

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by matty1053
I never like Microsoft...

Do we need a contract to live now?
"Welcome, to live, you need to have a 5 year contract and pay about $1.5 million dollars to continue your life. Want the contract for 2 years or 10?"

I don't care, it's just insane with thet contracts. No one thinks about them now.

If having an Xbox constitutes part of your definition of living, then I don't think there's really anything else that we need to say.

new topics

top topics

join