It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does it seem that America, the world in general, is in a similar situation as Rome, circa 100-400 AD

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
It seems that our leaders are getting crappier, House and Senate elected officials have no clue, and the Presidential candidates are really, for lack of a better word, really pathetic, with no experience, per se... even on a global scale, it seems that the ruling elite have nothing better to offer.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by pityocamptes
It seems that our leaders are getting crappier, House and Senate elected officials have no clue, and the Presidential candidates are really, for lack of a better word, really pathetic, with no experience, per se... even on a global scale, it seems that the ruling elite have nothing better to offer.

I agree.

But the time is right for great leaders to emerge now. Alexis Tsipras is the first of the new breed in my opinion.

I think the biggest problem is that all politicians are puppets that play by the rules. Its not that they couldnt be better. Most are cowards. If they are not cowards then they are only interested in personal gain.
edit on 25-6-2012 by Germanicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Alexis, et al, scare the hell out of me. People will grasp at straws, like Germany did 80 years ago, when things are bad, only to find, it gets much worse...

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I've been making that comment for years. More that I've noticed the less political side. Things like alternative sexual practices being normal, and often coinciding with changes in this change in political structure.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
That is a fairly wide-ranging comparison. Can you be more specific about the similarities with imperial Rome?
To help you, this is what Gibbon says on the subject;
"In the second century of the Christian aera, the empire of Rome constituted the fairest part of the earth and the most civilised portion of mankind. The frontiers of that extensive monarchy were guarded by ancient renown and disciplined valour. The gentle, but powerful, influence of laws and manners had gradually cemented the union of the provinces. Their peaceful inhabitants enjoyed and abused the advantages of wealth and luxury".-
Decline and fall of the Roman Empire, opening sentences.
He goes on to describe A.D. 98--180 as "a happy period".
Of course the empire had many different fluctuations over the full period of 300 years, which is one reason why you need to be more specific.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by DISRAELI
That is a fairly wide-ranging comparison. Can you be more specific about the similarities with imperial Rome?
To help you, this is what Gibbon says on the subject;
"In the second century of the Christian aera, the empire of Rome constituted the fairest part of the earth and the most civilised portion of mankind. The frontiers of that extensive monarchy were guarded by ancient renown and disciplined valour. The gentle, but powerful, influence of laws and manners had gradually cemented the union of the provinces. Their peaceful inhabitants enjoyed and abused the advantages of wealth and luxury".-
Decline and fall of the Roman Empire, opening sentences.
He goes on to describe A.D. 98--180 as "a happy period".
Of course the empire had many different fluctuations over the full period of 300 years, which is one reason why you need to be more specific.

Many have indicated that the "fall" started around 100 ad. I am more specifically juxtaposing current global politics to Rome circa 400 ad. It seems that no one really knows how to properly lead, and our options this year are less than adequate.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Ever since the "Government" sold out as a Corporation in 1912 and wrote their own Constitution (minus an amendment), things have not gone well for the public.

The US Corporation owes The United States of America a LOT of money.

Other than that, yes quite similar.

Mercury helped undo Rome, what chemical would it be for us?

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by pityocamptes

Everything comes to an end, it is just a matter of when and how. Markets are edging down again, Middle East is more unstable than it has been in a long while, and there are just too many people for the planet to support. The real question is, will you be there to start the engine again? Do you even want to be? That is the real question I believe.

top topics

join