It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why I despise organized religion(s)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Let me start off by saying this; If you are going to be offended and rag on me for my beliefs then do not read the following or I will slam your religion harder than a fat kid who sat down to fast.

Now, let me get started.

I do not hate the people who follow religion or the people who use it to further their lives in a positive manner. I do, however, despise the idiots who use it to justify their negative actions and preach to me like I am some sort of moron. I despise the fact religion is hypocritical and immoral when you get down to the nitty gritty facts but when it is pointed out you are branded a heretic, blasphemer or devil worshiper or some other non sensical, generic term.

So, once again, if you are going to be offended by my post leave now because this is where things get ugly.

Christianity:
1. The Bible condoning violence but slamming Islam for being a 'violent religion'

I am going to quote a book from the bible so you guys can check it out for yourself.

Deuteronomy 12:2-3

2 c "You shall utterly destroy all the places where the nations which you shall dispossess served their gods, d on the high mountains and on the hills and under every green tree. 3 "And e you shall destroy their altars, break their sacred pillars, and burn their 1 wooden images with fire; you shall cut down the carved images of their gods and destroy their names from that place."

So, now we have conclusive proof that the Bible condones the destruction of nations which oppose an 'all loving, all merciful God'. Some God, huh? This doesn't take into account the fact that the Bible also condones the stoning and killing of women and homosexual men.
There are numerous quotes which I won't post here. Just search them yourself.

2. The Bible also says to sell your material possessions and give to the poor and needy.
Well funnily enough the Church makes $420 billion a year back in 2000 and has a reserve fund of some $1 Trillion. This doesn't take into account the Churches/land it owns.
Click

3. The widespread corruption and cover ups of pedophilia by the Clergy.
Don't believe me? I have two words for you. Murphy Report.

4. Bringing death to millions during the 'Counter Reformation' and hiding knowledge that would have disproved their 'God exists' theory (e.g. Witch hunts).

That is all for Catholicism, now lets move on to Islam.

Islam

1. Condoning acts of Violence on people's of other religions because they are 'worshipers of Shay-tan'.

2. Condoning Pedophilia. The Prophet Mohammed's wife was only 6 years old and he had consummated their marriage when she was 9.

3. Promoting death penalties and acts of aggression against men, women and children.

This is the same story for countless religions all over the world who claim to have 'The answer' to life.

The fact is, they don't. They believe in a Higher Power who told them they are right and everyone else is wrong.

If I came out tomorrow and said 'A Man in the sky told me to kill Gays and women who dress like me' I would be ridiculed and laughed at.
But because a 2000 Year old book says it then it must be true. No. It isn't. The Bible was written by men who were off their trollies on hallucinogens and marijuana who walked around the world preaching but never following their own words.

This, is a minor rant. I can't be bothered typing out the reasons why Christianity is a bastard religion that comprises elements of Buddhism, Ancient Egyptian, Mesopotamian, Babylonian, Gaelic Irish, Germanic, Parthian, Greek and Roman elements and how the entire religion is based on worship of the Sun.

If you want to debate the merits of religion then go ahead. But be warned. I will slam your arguments.

I will respect your views if you respect mine but don't come preaching to me that 'Non believers aren't exempt and you are going to Hell'... I believe in a magic Pink unicorn that eats rainbows and poops Gold. Don't believe me? Then you are going to Hell. You aren't exempt just because you don't believe it.
edit on 25-6-2012 by Trajan because: Links

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Trajan

I've always admired unorganized religion(s)..... But I'm with you on the organized ones....

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Stay tuned everybody, next I will be discussing how Christianity has always been a power ploy to keep the people subservient and I will be making counter arguments to some of the most common 'religious proofs'.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
The term "Christianity" encompasses a broad spectrum of beliefs. To paint them all with the same broad strokes is an ineffective argument. There are several pacifist Christian sects that wouldn't dream of resorting to or condoning violence.

Personally, I believe the term Christian refers to a follower of Christ. And if I remember correctly, He spoke of loving our enemies and of loving our neighbor as ourselves. A far cry from violence.

I cannot speak for Islam as I am not an expert on that religion.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
That is all for Catholicism, now lets move on to Islam

So what is your beef with Biblical Christianity? Poking holes in Roman Catholocism is like shooting fish in a barrel. In the past they were always known as tares amongst the wheat. As for the narratives in the Old Testament, I may be mistaken but there isn't a Jew alive that is still under the old covenant (it was done away with around 70 AD)

Perhaps you should research why the Romans killed Christians up until the 2nd century, or why the original desciples willfully died horrible deaths to preach the gospel. The 21st century narrative is just plain stupid. Maybe Im missing something, but could you explain how being burned at the stake, or thrown to the lions is a way to gain power and control over the populace? The gospel message that God chose to suffer and die in our place so that we can be forgiven, somehow gives human power or control?

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   

The Bible condoning violence but slamming Islam for being a 'violent religion'
reply to post by Trajan

Sorry dude, My bible doesn't condone violence. The apostate churches do.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   

I do not hate the people who follow religion or the people who use it to further their lives in a positive manner. I do, however, despise the idiots who use it to justify their negative actions and preach to me like I am some sort of moron. I despise the fact religion is hypocritical and immoral when you get down to the nitty gritty facts but when it is pointed out you are branded a heretic, blasphemer or devil worshiper or some other non sensical, generic term.
reply to post by Trajan

I hear you brother...and I was raised catholic and was an alter boy. What I hate the most is some of those faithful church goers who are the most hateful, immoral and negative people you ever want to meet. Some of the priests sin more than their flock.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I totally agree with all of this, i know too well how currupt organized religion is. Intricate ploy to keep people under cotnrol.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Hiya.
As a Christian, I feel I have some grounding to reply to your post. I'd like to think I have the knowledge and intelligence to respond to Islam too, but that would no doubt be contentious, so I'll just stick to my own religion for now. My thoughts:

Christianity:
1. The Bible condoning violence but slamming Islam for being a 'violent religion'

I am going to quote a book from the bible so you guys can check it out for yourself.

Deuteronomy 12:2-3

2 c "You shall utterly destroy all the places where the nations which you shall dispossess served their gods, d on the high mountains and on the hills and under every green tree. 3 "And e you shall destroy their altars, break their sacred pillars, and burn their 1 wooden images with fire; you shall cut down the carved images of their gods and destroy their names from that place."

So, now we have conclusive proof that the Bible condones the destruction of nations which oppose an 'all loving, all merciful God'. Some God, huh? This doesn't take into account the fact that the Bible also condones the stoning and killing of women and homosexual men.
There are numerous quotes which I won't post here. Just search them yourself.

What you're quoting here is Jewish law. It is not a part of the Christian practice. This is why it's referred to as the "Old Testament": because it was superceded by the new. In terms of why God actually commanded the destruction of those nations, and in such graphic terms, you'll need to do a little digging. The Bible DOES give answers to that question, in numerous locations. Notably Genesis 6:4, where we're told that the 'sons of God' (angels) had offspring with women. Those offspring were the progenitors of the nations to which your quote refers, hence the need for complete annihilation. We're not talking about ordinary human tribes here.

2. The Bible also says to sell your material possessions and give to the poor and needy.
Well funnily enough the Church makes $420 billion a year back in 2000 and has a reserve fund of some $1 Trillion. This doesn't take into account the Churches/land it owns.
Click

I agree wholeheartedly. The church (and I'm referring primarily to the Catholic Church here, though protestants have certainly been guilty of this too (I'm looking at you, Benny Hinn and friends)) should NEVER retain money. Every single cent that comes in, should go out. Christians have two jobs on this earth: to help the fatherless and the widow ("religion that God accepts as pure and faultless is this: to help the fatherless and the widow"), and to preach the gospel. Money is required for both, to a degree, but that gives no justification to hoarding. You get a donation? You spent every last cent to take care of those around you, and preach the gospel.

3. The widespread corruption and cover ups of pedophilia by the Clergy.
Don't believe me? I have two words for you. Murphy Report.

Again, this is primarily a Catholic thing (though again, there have been instances elsewhere). Though with that in mind, perhaps you should use some of your quoting skills to remind us what God has in store for those who harm a child. I believe the phrase is "it would be better for you not to have been born".
...and so it will be. And to commit such crimes, and then have an establishment cover it up? That's utterly unforgivable. Reprehensible.

4. Bringing death to millions during the 'Counter Reformation' and hiding knowledge that would have disproved their 'God exists' theory (e.g. Witch hunts).

Again, a Catholic thing. What you need to understand here though (as is the case with a few of your points)... Christianity can only be judged on what the Bible says. Whatever happens outside of that... is man, not God. Should you be angry about paedeophilia in the church? Well, what does the Bible say? Does it sanction it?

...yeah, not so much.
In fact, the Bible says the opposite. Ezekiel says "judgement begins at the house of God". What that means is that Christians, or those who claim to be Christians, will be judged MORE harshly, because we should know better. So when you see something that horrific happening in the church, you should know that not only are you (rightfully) outraged, but God is even more so. And "it is mine to avenge; I will repay, says the Lord".

So... aside from your first point, I agree with you wholeheartedly. But I'd encourage you to step back from looking at the organisation of the Catholic Church (which is utterly corrupt, has moved away from what Christ taught, and has ever sought its own power and glory), and look closer at Christ. Then you'll understand not only what the Church SHOULD be (and isn't), but also why God comes with such judgement when he returns.

edit on 25-6-2012 by Awen24 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Your arguement should be against humanity and then you should slowly become a nhilist.
You left out 95% of historys religions so I'm guessing you're just another ANTI.
God bless your soul

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Unfortunately, organised religions will never stop until undeniable proof is provided to the contrary, this may include:

1. Another ‘god’ returning and stating that all the believers in different religions got it wrong.
2. The aliens return and laugh at us, because we thought they were gods in the ancient past.

Even then, you will still have the fanatics that will continue to hold on to their belief and come up with premises that they are still right in some crazy way.

I believe if religion did not exist, the world would be a happier place and we would already be colonising other planets by now.

Booooo to all religions! I despise them all as well OP but for holding back science and trying to stop the human race from flourishing the way it should.

Mickierocksman

edit on 25/6/2012 by Mickierocksman because: Added 4 words, removed an eyelash from my eye that was really bothering me.... took a sip of coffee - thought about why people 'need' to follow any god (I will never be able to work that out) and then hit edit like I just did now....

edit on 25/6/2012 by Mickierocksman because: Hummm, spotted 2 x 'for'(s) in my post - why did I type 2 for's? I for one will never know.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Do you want me to go into the New Testament and point out all the violence?

And, you guys do realize the Bible isn't just compose of the New/Old Testaments? There is several books which make up 'The Bible'.

On another note, show me how religion has done anything good in their existence?

There isn't any. They say they are going to help people but their 'help' only includes sending preachers to convert the people to their views.

I know more about Christianity than most of you, I grew up around religious fanatics and in a deeply Catholic nation.

If you want me to point out all the violence condoning then lets talk.

--

Oh, and on the 'that's Catholicism' thing.
You guys do realize Catholicism only became a term after the Great Schism and Reformation?
The books the Catholics use are the same ones originally written.

top topics

join