It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why you should take your children out of public schooling RIGHT NOW

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
school is awful.

they don't teach anything important anymore!! its all a brainwashing scam to take away your freedom of individuality!

they try to make you like THEM, those sickos don't want you to be YOU, your natural self.

i remember, who what when where why how???

now its "why" "BE QUIET AND ANSWER THE QUESTION, whats 3 the the power of etc."

"this is the formula"

"but how does the formula work? and why"

"GO TO THE PRINCIPLES OFFICE, DETENTION"

EVERY SINGLE TIME.

school is supposed to be a place of learning, but its a PRISON.

peace.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I went to middle and high school in the California Bay area. By freshman year most everyone was on one drug or another. This was FRESHMAN year. Each class I went to was repetitive and useless BS and by sophomore year I was sick of wasting my life in that place. I didn't feel like I was learning a damn thing, I hated everyone in every class I had. They were all mindless retards and didn't give a damn about anything besides being popular. Gawd it was stupid. Most of the teachers didn't really seem to give a flying **** either.

I cut out of probably half of my sophomore year and on the first week of my junior year I went to the counselor and told him I don't want to be a part of this anymore. He told me that middle school and highschool are pretty much pointless social exercises. He said that the education did not matter as much as learning how to integrate with society and basically become a useful cog in the American machine. I agreed. He also told me that I could drop out now and it wouldn't effect the rest of my life whatsoever as long as I went to junior college and did well.

So I did the next best thing, independent study, a fancy name for a place they send the "bad" kids who do nothing but cause trouble for the school and constantly disrupt class time. I was not one of those but I could tell most of the people in the program were definitely bound for a life in prison. As for me though, I spent the next two years doing near nothing at all. I chose my elective classes just like in normal school and the rest were required. I was assigned chapters of a book to do but it didn't matter how much I got done, all that mattered was how long I worked on it. I was required to work 6 hours a day, but the stupid thing was that I was the one responsible for telling the guy how long it took me to do the work. So I would spend 10 minutes painting a picture and would tell him it took me 8 hours, or do one page of math and tell him it took me 6. Long story short I did about 2 hours of work a week and then walk to the stupid little office once a week and turn it in for 30 hours of work credit, and nobody ever questioned me. Unfortunately the rest of my time was spent doing all sorts of drugs because no matter how smart you are, your always capable of being a complete idiot in your own special way.

Long story short, I walked down the aisle with everyone else come graduation day and got my diploma. I was a total drug addict and did almost nothing for 4 years and I graduated with everyone with an A in every class I took. That's the American school system, and that's why 90% of the people around you are incomprehensibly stupid.

10 years later I've finished college with a 4 year degree and a 4.0 GPA, no thanks to the public school system.

After grade school public schooling is NOTHING aside from social indoctrination. It's all about grooming the population for a lifetime of corporate servitude.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Covertblack
I agree with a lot of your points. The only caveat I would put forth is that home school kids need to be immersed with others their age. I can't tell you how many home schooled kids I have met with poor social skills. Later on in life some of these poor kids grow up and have no idea how to act around others. So barring that I agree.

I too went to school in Michigan, and to be honest it wasn't all that bad for me. Not trying to say it's the same for all.
edit on 25-6-2012 by Covertblack because: (no reason given)

you must be kidding me.
The kids from public schools today are rude, unapologetic, disrespective to their elders, cliquish, unwilling to pay their dues when instructed for jobs, narcissistic... Sure there are exceptions to this....but rarely.
The old "social skills" rube is sorry and outdated by the lack of social skills present today.Maybe social skills aresimply overrated except in mob rule scenarios...and those are coming as austerity measures are enacted.

Great op. Simply spot on!

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   

4. Those children who do poorly in public school will never get proper help for it. They will be told to work harder

I failed algebra 3 times in the 80's. Why? They told me what you do to one side of the equation you have to do to the other side of the equation to make it balance.

They wanted me to memorize the formulas and do the work. I asked,

Why do you have to do the same thing to each side to make the equation balance? Why does this work? Explain to me the underlying whys of why you have to do this and why you have to do that - in order so i could understand exactly what I'm doing and why.

Each teacher that was said was better than the one before could not answer me. Some of these teachers were "experts" with math.

They refused to explain why to me, so i refused to memorize their silly formulas. The formulas made no real sense to me without that understanding.

Thus I never graduated from High School.. and they said this was MY fault.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by manna2

Say what you want, but human interaction is needed in my opinion. Keeping your children locked up and away from humanity isn't healthy. Of course you can continue to spew your "facts" about the "filth" of kids these days if you wish.

Social skills aren't needed? Communication isn't needed?

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Covertblack

Homeschoolers do not all lock their children up in their house. They go out a lot. Many families go to the library every week and even to a museum every week. To the park most days. To homeschool co ops. So on and so on and so on.
edit on 25-6-2012 by cetaphobic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
if u can sit through the lecture,,common the students had too,,

u can here this professor's opinion of homeschooled.
and it is very, ignorant. and biased.

a senior lecturer in the Management Department at McCombs.

Sep 23, 2011.

China and Creativity are the keys to US Recovery

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...gotta luv it

Uploaded by UTMcCombsSchool on Sep 23, 2011
www.mccombs.utexas.edu...

now,,,,my own personal rant,,

Apparently AMERICAN,,,,,know how and industry,,never existed.
(no wonder your losing the economic recovery.)
He,,,the Lecturer kinda skipped over the GREATEST, Retail and HOUSING,
boom in the history of the world.

America,,,40's,,50's,,and 60's

don't know why he skipped,,
40's,,50's,,and 60's
i mean thats 30 years of growth right there,,,and not one mention of it.
Sure loved Communist China, though,,
and dont worry about those starving babies in CHINA,,,as he states,,
apparently CHINA has solved that problem.! for you.!
AMERICA IS DOOMED.if this is what is being taught.
Someone better get him too stay away from HISTORY.
And BUSINESS.
Sep 23, 2011.,,,,too late.
there already infected.

ya homeschooling,,

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
The matter of our shared "schooling" problem is, in my opinion, not exactly remedied by homeschooling.

But it may be the best we can do for the moment - especially when faced with the institution we appear to be relying on now.

If we start from the fundamentals, the problem seems to redefine itself in ways that many haven't the patience to endure.

First of all - there is the child.

A child, considered as such, is a demeaning and restrictive concept - generally vanilla-flavored for expedience and used as a blanket term for people between the ages of 4 and 14. After that we start to think of them as "young adults" or "teenagers." These too, are socially restrictive concepts... for the same reason as the former...

It denies that children/teens are people - as unique and deserving of respect as you or I for that very reason.

We start our social and cultural models in life being "less than" the rest - because we are children. We have no voice, because we a re told we don't need one - we have no rights - because we are "chattel," - we are effectively either an asset or a burden to our families... It was not always so... but most patriarchal and many matriarchal cultures perpetuate the paradigm.

If I task you with the proper rearing of an individual... and you could never know for certain if it was a 6 year old or an enfeeble adult of 60... I promise the 'education' you deliver could be distinguished by its dissimilarity with the norm.

Hence, our first misstep is in creating a specialized class of professional to teach, and then burden them with the dichotomy of the difference between a "child" and a "person."

Then there are the Teachers

Our pool of teachers have been trained by a system which adapted itself to a different world than we live in... it is the very flaw in the higher education system that makes it profitable. Changing paradigms, curriculi, and human interaction kill sets costs so much money that the higher education system only 'toys with' the need.

Teachers have evolved - but not to teach. They have evolved to exist in a spreadsheet-driven world of metrics that conform only to some actuarial table compiled by people who specialize in making 'statistics' work - statistics is the art of making a whole lot of variables conform to a digestible soundbite. Our children are not soundbites.

There was a time when teachers would actually know the families of those they taught.... but that means more teachers - which in the spreadsheet world means more cost. So that had to go. Students used to all share common community experiences... no longer ... so the teacher must 'generalize' their approach to teaching... so as not to 'offend', or appear to 'promote' something specific.

The unionization of the industry (I should say semi-unionization) is the fault of the masters... and no others - they alone created the need... because of the cultural inertia of the institution that coalesced as the nation grew. It would be nice if institutional administration could be trusted to be fair and just ... but it isn't - thus unions remain... regardless of the effect and whether it was desired. It is the leadership's failure... Unions have always been a result of the leaderships failure.

Then there is the parent.

The parent who should always be ready and en guarde to mediate between what the institutional pablum is, and what fact or truth is... they are not always the same... in fact, as time has progressed we have been repeatedly embarrassed by that fact.

Parents can teach too... but they can't offer the experience of socialization, generational context, and very importantly, humor - which changes as much a fashions do.

Right now the difference between what most parents want for their child's academic career is far removed from what the institution mandates.... and therein lies the key.....

Most communities seem willing to accept that the school determine policy, methodology, acumen, and metrics... we "trust" them to do this.... The truth is, we shouldn't. And we wouldn't have top if the parent could be engaged in the experience of their child... but most of us are far too occupied by trying to earn a living.. and coming home drained of any energy to get that involved.

But we must. Either that - or home school your child.... if you don't - I promise - unless you measure their well being in a particularly materialistic way... you will be disappointed in what the school trains your child to do with their life...

Sorry for the wall of text...

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Public school is meant to create obedient unquestioning workers. Period.
The students are not supposed to be able to figure out anything lest they start seeing through lies.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by cetaphobic
reply to post by Covertblack

Homeschoolers do not all lock their children up in their house. They go out a lot. Many families go to the library every week and even to a museum every week. To the park most days. To homeschool co ops. So on and so on and so on.
edit on 25-6-2012 by cetaphobic because: (no reason given)

That is a good thing! To say they shouldn't interact with other people though, kids their age, younger, older, isn't something I agree with. What you are saying is fine, get them out, experience other people.

I have seen cases where the family basically sheltered the child. They never got to play with kids their age, and as they grew older never developed how to interact. Then, when the child was finally let go from the family and ended up in college it was very hard for him to interact.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by VforVendettea
Public school is meant to create obedient unquestioning workers. Period.
The students are not supposed to be able to figure out anything lest they start seeing through lies.

That is one particular way to reduce the problem to demagoguery; sadly it gets us no nearer to the solution.

While the net effect of institutionalized education, as we are experiencing it, is to create "worker drones," "supervisor drones," "manager drones" and compliant human resources; how we go about recognizing the fact is as important as the fact itself.

It means sloganeering and rhetoric just doesn't cut the mustard anymore... hence the failure of the "political drones"

What practical truth we find in home schooling must be applied in the institutions.... and the establishment folks are going to want our money for it.... while they borrow the money they actually use for it from a 'central' bank.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I agree between public and private, public is not the way to go. With that being said... in some areas of the country some of the public schools gradings mark right up there with the private schools across the boards.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by cetaphobic

My kids have had the luxury of going to both public and private and both were con jobs. By year's end all would had left school. Quite frankly, for every 10 teachers they had, only one decent teacher was worthy - and deserved higher pay!
edit on 25-6-2012 by bluemirage5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   

I agree with a lot of your points. The only caveat I would put forth is that home school kids need to be immersed with others their age. I can't tell you how many home schooled kids I have met with poor social skills. Later on in life some of these poor kids grow up and have no idea how to act around others. So barring that I agree.

I too went to school in Michigan, and to be honest it wasn't all that bad for me. Not trying to say it's the same for all.

Yeah, so many of them seem completely unable to function in any social situation including work. I have known some that home school but they can still go to all the school social funtions etc and they seem to have come out better for it. I am sure home schooling is a good option for some but, pleny of perfectly good, well educated, well adjusted kids come out of public schools as well.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   

reply to post by manna2

Say what you want, but human interaction is needed in my opinion. Keeping your children locked up and away from humanity isn't healthy. Of course you can continue to spew your "facts" about the "filth" of kids these days if you wish.

Social skills aren't needed? Communication isn't needed?

You say it like public school is the only way to gain social skills.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   

1. Public schooling does not pay good teachers. It pays administrators. New Jersey is the worst for this, but even in Michigan where I live, it's bad. It's bad that all of my teachers drove lunkers but all the administrators drove brand new cars. And yes, I mean all of them.
reply to post by cetaphobic

Not all teachers who have a passion to teach, care about the pay. They chose the profession because they enjoy kids and like to teach in their area of study. I personally think teachers could bring more to the table if they worked in their academic specialty in the private sector before teaching in the classroom. Most administrators are way over paid, because a lot of them don't do their job. If they did, some public schools wouldn't be out of control like they are.

Public schooling does not teach students based on their own abilities and interests. Until you get to middle school, children are expected to all be the same, no matter what.

You have to walk before you run. Students have to learn the basics in Math, Reading and Writing in elementary school. From middle school on up, schools should change from all academics to career and technical courses. It allows the children to experiment what they're good at and apply their academics in their prospective careers. It also allows them to possess a marketable skill with higher pay straight out of high school or prepares them for a college professional or technical degree.

3. Public schooling teachers your children to perpetuate society's bad manners. They're taught that swearing, fighting and being a jerk is cool. They're not properly taught by overworked and underpaid teachers how to be polite, or how to care about other people.

Usually parents are expected to teach their kids manners. Unfortunately, there's a lot of bad parenting. Public school's should be stressing good manners from k-5th grade. One of the biggest problems of a schools bad behavior is a weak administrator. If an administrator isn't consistent students will always take advantage of that.

Those children who do poorly in public school will never get proper help for it. They will be told to work harder without being taught how.

All schools have a special help night for those students who need one-on-one help with the teacher. There's a lot of public schools that offer after school tutoring.

Those in public school overwhelmingly lack an understanding of even basic mathematics. Even those who graduate at the top of their classes.

The current generation is apathetic to education, period. (There's a reason why the U.S. is ranked 25th in the world in math - below average). A student has to be self-motivated to learn either at home or in a school. You may have more control over this if the child is home schooled, but some high school math, unless you were an exceptional math student yourself, you might find it difficult to teach it at home.

Public schooling leaves your children with very little time for play, which is NECESSARY for the growth and true education of younger children.

With "No Child Left Behind" classes like Art, Music, Home Ec, Industrial Arts etc... have been removed to help make the grade on state assessments. I totally agree, kids need some brain relaxation to rejuvenate them during the school day.

Public schooling punishes the best and brightest children by recommending they be put on Ritalin when they question too much or, god forbid, get antsy like children are supposed to.

I understand why parents don't want to put their children on ritalin, but a learning environment can't occur if their is constant disruption in the classroom. In an academic setting it's difficult, in a lab setting, it's easier to accommodate someone with ADHD.

Public schools and their teacher unions make it impossible to fire a bad teacher. Yes, as close to impossible as one can get.

There are ways of getting around that, but for the most part you're correct. It's one of the negative things about unions that need to be addressed.

The biggest disadvantage of home schooled kids is they lack social interaction, which is needed in the work force. If they can't get along, or if they have problems with diversity, it could become a crutch later in life.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
The academic cannon that determines the curriculum in all schools is made up of scholars and academics, bankers, lawyers, corporate leaders, so forth and so on... The main purpose of the educational system is to indoctrinate the students into the belief systems that are used in their respective societies. Each society and culture is different and has developed their own belief systems over time. The students are taught to believe certain ways and certain things. It can be considered an irreversible form of brain washing due to the fact that the regiment is administered over such a long period of the child's and adult's lifetime.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
The teachers that are getting paid crap are there because they want to be, or because they have a passion to teach.

If teachers salaries were raised to the level that they deserve, we would get teachers who really don't care about the students and are just there for the large paycheck and summers off.

not arguing with your op, just an opinion!

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Get them out before the teachers have sex with them.

The schools teach your kids to be dependent of government. To hate God. To be disrespectful to parents.

I know that schools are hell holes. There are a few good ones, but chances are that you cannot get your kid into one of those. Even then how do you know what they are putting into your kid's brain?

Throw your TV in the trash. Burn the illuminati garbage music cds.

Have no guilt when you abandon ship. Just be thankful that you got out.

Hell with all of the tax drones who worship the system.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
i think schools could be measured by the amount of coloring they do.

if your kid is in grade 8 and is still coloring and asking where the magic markers are, you should be looking for another school.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join