It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My sighting during ATS Live! June 23, 2012 10PM

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I want to keep my promise to our listeners and friends on ATS Live!

This will be my second reported sighting (though I have had others) and I will not repeat the mistake of trying to draw little pictures to describe the event (the laughter at my lack of artistic skill still rings in my head)...

As I stood facing east in my backyard at roughly 2 to 3 minutes before 10 PM (New York time) My daughter and I watch a curiously bright light that appeared to be approaching (generally speaking) our vicinity. It was a clear night, no visible cloud cover and no aircraft activity at the time.

The brilliant but small light appeared at roughly 30 degrees from the horizon, maybe a bit higher, and moved in a roughly south easterly direction. No aircraft noise was evident or heard, no blinking lights were visible. My daughter and I - no strangers to sky watching - waited to see how long it would be until we could detect the flashing navigation lights or at least could tell that the "aircraft" was changing direction since we expected the brightness to be "headlights," so to speak, that might happen to shining in our direction.

The brightness of the craft did not change once it had arced all the way from the general east by south east to south heading. It traversed some 75% of the sky ... making an evident arc only after it appeared to pass over us (again generally speaking) We assumed it was at a high altitude since we could hear no sound of jet engines. But it's speed moving from roughly 30 degrees ascension to 90 or so before the southerly arc became it's apparent last visible direction. Our interest was piqued when the light showed no sign of dimming despite it new direction and the fact that it must, by that point, have been moving "away" from us.

The brightness of the light was impressive. it was brighter than any planet or star in the sky, and it did not twinkle or waiver, there were no colors that we could see other than stereotypical white. We had been watching for some 60 seconds or so at which point it was clearly heading south from our perspective... still no sound, no flashing navigation lights, no dimming.

We were now looking roughly 120 degrees to the left (south) from when we initially noticed the light at 30 degrees above the horizon; now it was 45 degrees or so above the horizon with an apparent southern heading... then my daughter pointed out that the light appeared to be slowing and or dipping from her point of view... I did not notice any dip, but it did seem to be slowing....

Then the light seemed to stop moving entirely and became dimmer and dimmer until it disappeared from view in a matter of 5 to 10 seconds.

Of course, I immediate ran back to the "ATS Live!" virtual studio to share my sighting... It was then 10:03 PM (New York Time) and much to my surprise we had started discussing another sighting thread.... synchronicity.. or luck... either way... it kept me up late....

And for those who define themselves by digital imagery, there were no pics... .. so you can insist it never happened. But that won't make it true.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Lots and lots of people are reporting UFO sightings on ATS of late. Even the skeptics themselves, good thread S+F.

No aircraft noise was evident or heard, no blinking lights were visible.

I've seen a lot of these over the last three months and even recorded a few videos.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
I want to keep my promise to our listeners and friends on ATS Live!

This will be my second reported sighting (though I have had others) and I will not repeat the mistake of trying to draw little pictures to describe the event (the laughter at my lack of artistic skill still rings in my head)...

As I stood facing east in my backyard at roughly 2 to 3 minutes before 10 PM (New York time) My daughter and I watch a curiously bright light that appeared to be approaching (generally speaking) our vicinity. It was a clear night, no visible cloud cover and no aircraft activity at the time.

The brilliant but small light appeared at roughly 30 degrees from the horizon, maybe a bit higher, and moved in a roughly south easterly direction. No aircraft noise was evident or heard, no blinking lights were visible. My daughter and I - no strangers to sky watching - waited to see how long it would be until we could detect the flashing navigation lights or at least could tell that the "aircraft" was changing direction since we expected the brightness to be "headlights," so to speak, that might happen to shining in our direction.

It does sound like a classic sighting of the ISS, which does describe an apparent arc, and the dimming does also indicate a sunlit object. However I'm not too sure yet of the transit times and direction for then. I will look.
edit on 25-6-2012 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Here's the ISS pass you saw. Very bright. Magnitude -3.3!
www.heavens-above.com...
edit on 6/25/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
what day/night was this? This sounds like what we saw on Friday night at approx 9:40pm...

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
Here's the ISS pass you saw. Very bright. Magnitude -3.3!
www.heavens-above.com...

I should've known Spaceweather SST won't let me use american zips!

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Neopan100
what day/night was this? This sounds like what we saw on Friday night at approx 9:40pm...

Saturday - just about 10PM.... So it could be that this was the ISS (I had no idea it was that bright) ...

I just wonder if I can repeat the sighting? I wonder if the orbit of the station varies... because I would have expected to have seen it before numerous times... yet this is my first.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

The next really bright pass for New York will be on July 22 at 3:55 AM.

link   
reply to post by Maxmars

post by Maxmars
I just wonder if I can repeat the sighting?

Hi Maxmars , should be able to see it tonight

Mon Jun 25/09:47 PM
spaceflight1.nasa.gov...

link   
reply to post by Maxmars

I've personally never witnessed a UFO but, I completely believe in them and can not wait to see one myself.
Space is far to big and just because we do not understand the ability to traverse such great distances does not mean 'they' have not figured it out.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

But much dimmer than Saturday night.
Only mag -1.8 tonight and much lower in the sky.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I does vary. I have an app on my phone that alerts me whenever it passes by and will be visible. It seems to usually be anywhere from a -0.9 to about a -3.7. So it ca get pretty bright. And some passings have lasted as long as 7 minutes.

The app for my Android phone is called ISS detector and is extremely reliable and accurate.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Thank you everyone for your input here....

I am a bit befuddled about the track... but it seems too close to dispute. I am fairly certain that this thing appeared to be heading south (not south east) when it dimmed into obscurity.... but I defer to more trained minds ....

I will keep watching....

By the way... after the show (a touch after midnight) I was compelled to go outside and watch the sky again....

I caught glimpse of a shooting star (south to north) and for a fraction of a second... I thought I was gonna have a heart attack!

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
same exact thing happened to me 2 years ago in northeast PA. Bright light came from the north, then headed east then disappeared. The light intensity never changed even when it headed east away from me. no blinking, no noise

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I beleve it. probly a ufo. from what i know the ISS only travel east and west and can not change direct. it is in orbit.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Oystermon
I beleve it. probly a ufo. from what i know the ISS only travel east and west and can not change direct. it is in orbit.

Incorrect.

Here is what the ISS will be doing from my location from last night until June 27th:

June 24 - ISS 10:40:30 pm WNW 10:43:43pm 63° -3.7 (very bright)

June 25 - ISS 09:46:52 pm NNW 09:49:58pm 45° -3.1 (very bright)

June 26 - ISS 10:29:41 pm WNW 10:31:56pm 26° -1.9 (very bright)

June 27- ISS 09:35:35 pm WNW 09:38:46pm 63° -3.7 (very bright)

Notice the different times, different directions to look and different max angles. LEO objects do not always follow a strict orbital path:

Source for above picture

ETA: btw - the ISS can get up to a mag -4! that's super bright! And the track it will follow for tonight, it will appear to come out of the NNW and will appear to be head towards the south.
edit on 25-6-2012 by eriktheawful because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Wow, now THAT was cool!

We have a lot of clouds and in fact it's kind of overcast here in SC due to tropical storm Debby. But you can see the moon as the clouds are thin and high altitude.

My wife and one of my son's stepped out a little while ago, and we could actually see it (the ISS) glowing through the clouds! It was that bright!

It looked like it came from the north and did a slow arc headed to the east.

A first for me because even though I'm a amateur astronomer if I know it's cloudy out I don't bother to go look out, hehehe.
edit on 25-6-2012 by eriktheawful because: identified what "it" was

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Very cool thread. I saw what must have been the ISS a couple weeks ago while standing in my driveway. Quite bright, very noticeable and just cruising silently through the night sky. Any time I see such a nocturnal light I try to watch it until it traverses the entire sky and disappears from view. Because you never know. One of these times the thing I'm looking at might shoot off in another direction. Hasn't happened yet.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by gortex
reply to post by Maxmars

post by Maxmars
I just wonder if I can repeat the sighting?

Hi Maxmars , should be able to see it tonight

Mon Jun 25/09:47 PM
spaceflight1.nasa.gov...®ion=New_York&city=New_York

My thinking is along the lines of yours and many others here in this thread. The first thing that popped into my head was the ISS. And, so far that seems to make the most sense to me.

Vote Truth_2012

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Is there a website that has the history of the ISS's flight path? Might be a bit of a stretch, but I'm chasing info for the night of the 29/04/2011.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join